cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stowing Hitch Mounted Towbar

GeeJay
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of switching from an all aluminum tilt deck car hauler to a tow bar for towing our “towd”. The car hauler was dual purpose, used for our daily driver/towd, a Fiat Abarth 500c Cabrio or our vintage sports car which I would not tow 4 down. The sports car is no longer in the picture

Age, combined with restricted mobility and chronic cervical pain,, resulting from a severe whiplash injury 20 years ago, are now making loading and tying down the Abarth more work than I am willing to cope with.

Sooooo….. After much online research we have decided to go with the NSA Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with Integrated ReadyBrake using a Blue Ox® BX2805 Baseplate.

I understand that, when not in use, a tow bar mounted to a motorhome should be secured to the rear of the coach to prevent it moving around. It seems that most users secure the bars to the coach’s rear ladder.

The problem I have with that is our coach does not have a rear ladder. Any suggestions other than installing a rear ladder?

Thanks
GeeJay & ElleJay w/"Camper"(cat)

Coaldale, AB (May-Oct) & Mission, TX (Nov-Apr)
2005 Safari Trek 28RB2 Class A
Ready Brute Elite Towbar w/Integral Surge Brake
2014 Fiat 500c Abarth Cabrio

"If you have to run your A/C or Furnace - you're in the wrong place!""
8 REPLIES 8

RebeccaC
Explorer
Explorer

I don’t have the NSA brand… I have a Blue Ox Avail towbar. I can NOT stow it because my bike raxk is in the way so I have to find a good way to secure it when not in use. Bungy cords? Ropes? Anyone have any clever quick consistent ways to stow it when not able to lock in to its stowing position when driving without the Toad?  

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
x many many

Lock it and leave it. Get a vinyl cover if you don't already have one.

One warning: Check periodically and make sure there's still a little wobble between the drawbar of the tow bar and the inside of the hitch receiver. You do not want to come back after a span of years, and find RUST has locked the two together.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the last page of the Ready Brute instructions. Shows the tow bar when in stowed position Link

There is a latch that holds the bar in an upright position. If you think you need additional tiedown you could run a bungee to the hitch frame or safety chain attachment. Get a locking hitch pin, you don't want to be removing the tow bar anymore than you have to!

Norm
F1BNorm

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same set up as you describe and its secured as everyone has described. In addition, I use a bungee cord between the arms and bumper to minimize vibrations which may occur over rough roads. Have done this last two years with no problem. Have never removed the tow bar when in storage.
Kennyg

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
After much digging through photos, I finally found one that I could zoom in on and show our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar in the stowed position before I put the cover on it. Not shown is the strap that holds the wires and cables in place if we were going to go down the road without the toad hooked up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
philandterri wrote:
Why would you want to remove the tow bar from the receiver, ours stays mounted and locked.

agreed. been doing this a long time and can't say i've ever seen a tow bar secured to the rear ladder. i don't have specific experience with the NSA towbar but if its like most of the others it will fold up and to the side of the receiver. ours is secured with a locking hitch pin.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC my blue ox and other tow bars had a position where it "locked" into the up/folded position while in the receiver.
bumpy

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want to remove the tow bar from the receiver, ours stays mounted and locked.