Explorer
Explorer
Any one have one ?
8 REPLIES 8

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Downsides to Ford Transit :

Rear brakes have short life. Worse, the axle must be removed to replace the rotors.

The dually version needs to place the outer rear wheel/tire outside of the body and covered by an external fender, same as dually pickups. This would interfere with the sliding door, but I am certain hee is a solution.

Not relevant to this discussion, but the passenger version has some of the WORST rear seating I have ever encountered.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
P
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I see several advantages for the Ford Transit chassis vs the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. Wheel Base: Ford 178" Sprinter 170", Transmission: Ford 6 Speed Sprinter 5 Speed, Torque: Ford 350 ft.lbs. Sprinter 325 ft.lbs. & the Ford has large cup holders in the cockpit & the Sprinter doesn't. Furthermore, with the Transit being a lighter chassis and a 6 Speed transmission, the Ford equivilent Class B should get 2 MPG better fuel economy and all of this is coming from a guy that doesn't exactly like Ford Vehicles. Furthermore, simple parts, like a front windshield, cost $700.00 plus on the Sprinter and I'm sure the Ford Transit front windshield will cost less and there are more FORD transit dealers in the United States vs Mercedes "Sprinter" dealers. JMHO, Chuck/Bagman.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DIY converted cargo van - a 2015 T250. Love it!!! I'm assuming that most Class B's from a manufacturer will come with the 3.5 ecoboost motor? It's a rocketship!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
Except a Transit isn't cheaper than a MB Sprinter. Go onto their web sites and build comparable vans with options and they will be pretty close in price.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
No, we do not have one, but last June we camped beside a club member who had just bought one. By September he had traded it in - it just did not work for him. The floor plan was a disaster and I figured whoever
designed it, was not a camper.

Sad !

They should cost less than a comparable MB.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
No, we do not have one, but last June we camped beside a club member who had just bought one. By September he had traded it in - it just did not work for him. The floor plan was a disaster and I figured whoever
designed it, was not a camper.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Mod notified