cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trip east

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
our destination is Narrows too rv resort in bar harbor maine. leaving out of cincinnati ohio, looks like we will take I 80 across Pa to I 84, and up I 95. would love some ideas of things we could see. and campgrounds along the way. Does 95 run along the coast?
11 REPLIES 11

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
If you're so inclined and are of the Woodstock generation, you can visit the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts just east of Bethel, NY. This is the site of the famous Woodstock Music & Arts Festival of 1969. There is a Woodstock Museum at this site that is very interesting.

If you take I-84 through PA and into NY you would take Hwy 17 at Middletown, NY northwesterly to Monticello, NY and then 178 west to the western edge of Bethel.

You can go a bit further north and catch I-88 and head on up toward Maine.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you do the I86 I88 route the scenery will be great. Lots of small towns but no BIG cities
You can stop at the Corning Glass museum
Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame as well as other attractions near Cooperstown.
US 2 near the top of Mass is an interesting ride if you do not mind a couple of steep grades and a couple of switchbacks. It used to be the main thoroughfare for Mass but now is relegated to second class status Some "Indian Trading Posts" on the route which are shtick but fun.
Otherwise I would take the MASS PIKE to 395 AKA 290 which will get you to 495 and you avoid getting real close to the Boston nuttiness 495 dumps you back on 95 just below the Mass Line. Stay on the NH toll road and get off the Maine 95 as soon as you are past Portsmouth and get on route 1.
There will be turn offs for Kennebunkport, Me and Boothbay
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
we are pulling a 38 5th wheel and we are in no hurry, we are both retired.

Just keep in mind most campgrounds/parks in Maine, Vermont, NH, etc. close Columbus Day, which is October 9 this year. Bayley's in Scarborough will be open until the 15th, I think. The one we are in closes October 1.

So while you're not in a hurry, be sure to plan your departure and return route/stops accordingly and definitely check with parks directly before you put them on your plan.

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
we are pulling a 38 5th wheel and we are in no hurry, we are both retired.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We did our Maine trip, going from SW Virginia to Bar Harbor several years ago. We took I-81 up and then hit I-84. I-84 was pretty rough and I am surprised nothing really shifted or was broken in the trailer.

We spent an overnight at the BriaLee Campground in Ashford, CT. It was 7-8 miles off of the interstate, but was a nice, quiet campground with lots of trees, lake, amenities and the kids really enjoyed it.

We went to and LOVE the Old Orchard Beach area and we stayed at the Ne're Beach Family Campground. It's old, quiet, right in town, across the street from the lobster pound and 3 blocks (walking distance) to downtown. It's about 1/2 the price of the larger campgrounds in the area. You are close to Portland and it makes a good day trip from OOB. Be sure to visit LL Bean.

We stayed at Narrows Too when we were in Bar Harbor. It had larger sites than many of the campgrounds and the waterfront sites were really nice.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What are you driving and are you in a hurry?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The route we take from NJ includes I84 to I90 (Mass Turnpike) to I290 near Worcester to I495 around Boston to join with I95 just before the NH border. We get off I95 onto I295 just before Portland and then pick up Route 1 near Brunswick, then Route 3 from Ellsworth to Mt Desert Island.

We like to spend a night at Camden Hills State Park and have dinner in Camden. The view of Camden harbor and Penobscot Bay from the top of Mt. Battie is beautiful. Further on is Fort Knox (not the one with the gold).
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Another route possibility, not necessarily a better one but a perfectly reasonable one, is I-71 to I-90 to I-86 to I-88 and then however you want to go from the Albany area. This does give you the possibility of going across some very pretty areas in Vermont and New Hampshire. The White Mountains are lovely. Parts of I-86 and I-88 used to be pretty rough, but for the most part they've fixed them up in the past several years and it's not bad going IMHO.

Depending on your schedule and interests, Knoebels amusement park is a fun place for a day or two. Their campground on site is clean and functional and decently kept, but not anything special otherwise; but the location and convenience more than makes up for any shortcomings, in my opinion.

There are some marvelous state parks in the Finger Lakes region of New York, such as Letchworth and Watkins Glen. (Letchworth I guess is a bit far west to be in the Finger Lakes region, maybe.)

Boston is a neat city to see but absolutely not to drive an RV through or in. Propane is not permitted in the Boston area tunnels, so avoid I-93 and I-90 west of I-95. Driving under in a car is not too bad, but navigating and finding parking along the surface streets is still rather a mess. The fine art museum, science museum, USS Independence ("Old Ironsides"), among various other sites are all well worth seeing.

DaveP
Explorer
Explorer
Boothbay is very nice. It's about an hour north of Freeport. Red's Eats is a very popular food stand in Edgecomb, about 10 minutes south of Boothbay. In Boothbay we stay at Shore Hills Campground. Be sure to spend a little time in Boothbay Harbor.

We've really enjoyed the route 1 experience and made the journey from New Hampshire to Bar Harbor in a couple of days so we have time to look around and take everything in.

David and Jeannette
2016 Freedom Elite
2005 Rialta 22QD
No toads.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely stop in Freeport Maine. It's a neat little town.
Visit LL Bean.
You could overnight in the town parking lot, I don't know if it is still allowed.
And yes, take US 1. It's a nice drive.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I95 does not run along the coast, RT 1 will take longer but you will see more of Maine that way.