cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS Preferences Please

Peripatetic_Pul
Explorer
Explorer
Contemplating acquisition of a GPS after losing my co-pilot's 2nd set of eyes vs. relying upon a phone mapping program. All comments greatly appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Peripatetic Pull wrote:
Contemplating acquisition of a GPS after losing my co-pilot's 2nd set of eyes vs. relying upon a phone mapping program. All comments greatly appreciated!

Garmin-- RV Dezl Model with 7" screen.

X2. There are a few quirks, but we like it a lot. Its pronunciation of Spanish words is a bit of a giggle at times! (We keep the voice prompts OFF.)

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin LTMHD because it also incorporates a web cam, a necesasary piece of equipment in Mexico IMO. One less gadget on the windcreen.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
I bought a lightly used Garmin Dezl 770 off ebay from a retired truck driver just my 42,000 mile 9 state loop from Louisiana to Yellowstone this summer.
Musta done that loop 10 times!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two Garmins - both very good in Mexico. The ones that come with North America maps have Mexico, USA and Canada rather than having to buy them later at $50 each.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
42,000 mile 9 state loop
??????????

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a lightly used Garmin Dezl 770 off ebay from a retired truck driver just my 42,000 mile 9 state loop from Louisiana to Yellowstone this summer. While not perfect I can say Garmin has came a long way since my last stand along GPS bought 7 or 8 years ago. The feature I found I used the most while traveling solo (my wife flew up to meet me for the Wyoming part of the trip, then had to fly home due to work obligations)was the voice command function. This allowed me to route to the next truck stop, wal-mart, or sometimes even campground, ....

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin that is a couple years old - model does not matter at this point as they keep changing the nomenclature.

We got a 7" because it is easier to see.

The Mexico maps are very good as long as you keep doing the updates.

We have also been using the road guides etc. from Bill & Dot Bell found on the ontheroadin website - worth the money - we keep adding to what they put out for our own records.

No GPS is perfect and you should never put in a point A and point B and expect it to take the best route. You have to put in points along the way to force it to take the route you want.

They keep changing the location of this website but you can find a list of maps of all states in Mexico at
. . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/planeacion/cartografia/mapas-digitales-2016/ . . .

These are not detailed maps as you would find in a GPS but they are better road maps that Guia Roji and they can be downloaded on the website for free. The are full size road maps in .pdf form so larger than your computer screen but you can zoom in and move around. Something useful to store in you computer in case you need to look at maps offline at some point.

There are other more detailed OFFLINE maps you can find out there on the internet that can be downloaded for free and are much more detailed.

Check out some such as Here maps for free on Microsoft maps - maps.me - Navigator by Map Factor - offline works in the boonies when there is not internet. There are some that work sort of like a GPS but not exactly. Still trying to find which is best.

Peripatetic_Pul
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did search these most valuable forums prior to posting..... Apparently, I should have include a statement re: For Use In Mexico or Quality of Mexico Maps Included.

Yes, I researched the Garmin Dezl (a/k/a trucker line of products) in comparison to the Garmin RV line but have been unsuccessful in finding users comments for Mexico Usage.

In the 1980's Sanborn's Insurance & Mexico Mike sold mile marker instruction books. Yes, I also rely greatly upon Guia Roji's books.

Thanks!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GPS subject search in technology
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For immediate responses search this Forum for gps. We like our Garmin
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Peripatetic Pull wrote:

Garmin-- RV Dezl Model with 7" screen.