cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Age Restrictions on Class A's

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
So has anyone EVER gotten Turned Away for having a Rig that was 2-5 yrs over the Age Restriction? Do you get turned away even if it is a Foretravel or Prevost or Newell or King Aire or Essex? you know what I mean. lol.
Thanks for sharing.
43 REPLIES 43

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1969 Boles Aero and got asked plenty but when they saw it everyone was OOHs and OZ.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That's a first! I haven't personally heard of a minimum length being asked.

There are times I wish there were more requirements like that, especially when I see full hookup sites booked at a state park only to find a tent trailer or boat in some of those spots.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a 30 foot Class A I was asked for the length as the Resort had a 32 foot minimum. I said it was 33 ft. That was good enough for them. Only time I had to lie about the length.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked just last week how old was my coach. I was trying to make a reservation. When I told her it was going on 11 years old she said she would have to look at it first. I have noticed the age restriction is mostly at RV Resorts, have never been asked at a RV park. I do want to stay at the resort just a couple of nights. As daughter and son-in-law will be at the same place and it is the closest one to the wedding we are going to attend.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
free radical wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Our much loved coach is 44 this year. We have never been turned away personally, but a chapter of our group was told that they could not rally at an "RV Resort"
Matt

FORTY FOUR yrs old?????????? Wow. what brand is it? How many miles?

From the pic in his signature it looks like GMC motorhome,,
Coolest design imho..

Chainwright, Free Radical is correct.
It is a 73 GMC, a 23' model. It has over 170K on it, but it is now in my barn for the winter because it has started to use more oil.
The 73~78 GMCs were the only motorhome even designed and built from the ground up by an automobile manufacturer. They did include many features that match what is available in some current models. Our group still attracts attention were ever we go and you have to get used to it. I like car shows, but have to park some distance away to not be part of the display.

Matt

Now Matt has real old rig. Mine is a fresh '76 unit only 41 years old.

I have been asked the age of my coach and had them look out the window and then complete the paperwork. What is not apparent is that instead of the old 440 engine and 727 tranny, it now has an '06 Duramax diesel and 6 speed Allison. But now those are also over 10 years old. I have never been refused entrance but if it happens it won't bother me as I understand why they have the rule. I'll just slip on down the road happy as ever.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you drove on by the park in your photo. I myself would have had a wary eye.

Of course I live in mine for work and will be in the same spot for at least a year and many times that has turned into 3 years.

Mine is 10 years old. Been through hurricanes and blizzards.

I have stayed in "Resorts" when forced to due to availability. The Florida "Resort" I was at for 18 months was run well, I liked the management.

It was a few of the "Snowbirds" I had problems with. Their starting a noon for drinks that would run until dinner time. The golf carts operated by alcohol impaired individuals.

How quaint watching them gather in their groups, day in and day out, for their drinking ritual.

When I had landing gear shear pin fail not a single member of that group or the group from Quebec offered assistance.

I had the tools and means to repair and set about it quickly. But, the important thing was this. The ones that traveled for work there came out of their RV's and inquired if I needed help.

Their RV's were old like mine, we never socialized with each other. We went to work, came home, and stayed in our RV's. No drinking social gatherings that could be heard three and four spots away. No traveling up and down the lanes in golf carts to visit with or snoop on others.

Just folks like me. I did not want to be a bother to others and I stayed to myself. These like minded folks offered help, were friendly to one who might be in need. Be careful of the book cover. A wary eye can catch more than just what wrong or ugly. It can find some genuine honest and nice folks.

It can help get past the facade of fancy clothes and fancy rigs.

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
As stated, this topic comes up about every three months with the same outcome. One guys says he'll never go there and a bunch of lemmings join in and blindly say they'll never go there without a clue as to why the rule exists.

Many states, especially California, can make it very difficult for a park owner to get rid of a dirt bag that arrives in dirt bag motor home. In some cases you actually have to go through the eviction process.

By having a ten year rule, you can screen the guests and prevent a meth lab from setting up in your campground. Those that don't, end up with campgrounds that look like this:

We've been RVing for forty years and have never been asked, yet there is always a guy on here who knows a guy that has a friend of his cousin that got turned away. In reality, I don't want to be parked next to some broken down piece of junk.

Just go camping and quit worrying about things that is just a bunch of gossip on here.

Thanks for your concern. And I hate, absolutely hate the fact that you have to worry about a subject that comes up every 3 months. So here are your options: Ignore the subject. Move on to the next topic, comment or question that tickles your palate. Or answer the question for the umpteenth time in a nice civilized manner. I sure hope you don't have 2 or more children, God forbid you'd have to answer life questions you Already went through with your eldest. Wow imagine having 5 children and each time one of them reaches puberty you have to revisit the same subject you already handled with the next oldest child. What a travesty. Play nice.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, this topic comes up about every three months with the same outcome. One guys says he'll never go there and a bunch of lemmings join in and blindly say they'll never go there without a clue as to why the rule exists.

Many states, especially California, can make it very difficult for a park owner to get rid of a dirt bag that arrives in dirt bag motor home. In some cases you actually have to go through the eviction process.

By having a ten year rule, you can screen the guests and prevent a meth lab from setting up in your campground. Those that don't, end up with campgrounds that look like this:

We've been RVing for forty years and have never been asked, yet there is always a guy on here who knows a guy that has a friend of his cousin that got turned away. In reality, I don't want to be parked next to some broken down piece of junk.

Just go camping and quit worrying about things that is just a bunch of gossip on here.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Mile High wrote:
At least out this way in the State Parks, the hosts sometimes have the worse looking rigs in the park.

Now that's too funny. Our first camp hosting gig and the rangers et al looked at our rig and thought Debi was going to be a princess. After two weeks we heard lots of comments about their first impressions and how wrong they were.....Dennis
nah, yours is definitely a beautiful rig Dennis ๐Ÿ™‚ We had a host in Nebraska that was in a 40 yo Wilderness trailer that the whole back end was wrecked so he put plywood over the back and painted a Huskers logo on it. They didn't last long, as he and his wife would fight outside and they were let go.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Yes Parkowner, protect your investment. It may shut out someone like our group that is maintaining classics, but that is just the way it is.

Matt

That's the point Matt. The short sighted "10 year rule" makes no distinction between people like us that take pride in our rigs and the dead beat that dumps a 12 year old rig in a campground. You bust your butt and budget maintaining the rig you love (or the only one you can afford) and someone says you're not good enough just because of an arbitrary metric. It just curdles my cream.

An equally effective solution for your friend with the campground that got stuck with a dead rig would be "I'm not going to hire people below a certain age". What would have come from that?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
At least out this way in the State Parks, the hosts sometimes have the worse looking rigs in the park.

Now that's too funny. Our first camp hosting gig and the rangers et al looked at our rig and thought Debi was going to be a princess. After two weeks we heard lots of comments about their first impressions and how wrong they were.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Our much loved coach is 44 this year. We have never been turned away personally, but a chapter of our group was told that they could not rally at an "RV Resort"
Matt

FORTY FOUR yrs old?????????? Wow. what brand is it? How many miles?

From the pic in his signature it looks like GMC motorhome,,
Coolest design imho..

Chainwright, Free Radical is correct.
It is a 73 GMC, a 23' model. It has over 170K on it, but it is now in my barn for the winter because it has started to use more oil.
The 73~78 GMCs were the only motorhome even designed and built from the ground up by an automobile manufacturer. They did include many features that match what is available in some current models. Our group still attracts attention were ever we go and you have to get used to it. I like car shows, but have to park some distance away to not be part of the display.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
If I don't want a run down 1996 anything, I will turn it away. It obviously isn't about money, because turning a rig away gets me nothing. And instead of telling a member of these forums to "just take it and shut up", why don't you just moderate and keep your opinions (that would be deleted if they were posted by anyone but you), to yourself.

I have to agree with westernrvparkowner here. If they have a rule (It should be posted on the website or prominently at the entrance) then it is a rule. He is the property owner and that is all there is to that. I friend also owns a small campground. It is a lovely place, but last year an employee let in a coach that was clearly in bad shape.
They signed up for a week.
The occupants left after three days.
At the end of the week Ted (friend owner) called the provided number, it was a dead end. He put a tag on the door. He called friends for help. My part was opening the door and trying to get the steering and ignition free. I had to open all the windows and get a charcoal mask because I could not work in the stink. After a search, I found a spare ignition key (that was good, it is hard to pick an old B&S lock). The battery was dead. (big surprise) Would not start with cables. So, we hooked up his tractor and hauled it first to the dump station and then his storage area.
He has run the DMV plate and VIN and all are useless. It seems it was sold to a non-person about a year before. The prior owner knew nothing about him.
Ted filed for a lean based on storage and other direct costs. He now has a lean-title, but had no luck selling it and can't even find any wrecking service that will haul it away......

Yes Parkowner, protect your investment. It may shut out someone like our group that is maintaining classics, but that is just the way it is.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.