cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-70 from Grand Junction CO to Denver CO

ELDEN1948
Explorer
Explorer
We will be driving through Colorado on I-70 from Grand Junction to east of Denver on our way to Michigan in May 2018. The trip planner shows about 5 tunnels on this route. I have contacted CO DOT about elevations in these tunnels. The specs on our 5th wheel say our height is 13-11. I believe we won't have any issues with clearance in the tunnels. Has anyone traveled this route? Is my assumption about clearance for our rig correct?
21 REPLIES 21

ELDEN1948
Explorer
Explorer
We measured our 5th-wheel at the dealership/service center last week with our rig on our truck. Turns out it is 12-10, thanks again for all the replies.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on I-25 going through Denver, stay in the center lane, as it has the highest clearance. As high as you say you are, you would likely clip a bridge if you were in the outer lanes, due to the curve of some of the bridges.

While they have increased the clearance on some of the worst offenders, you will still need to pay attention, and stay out of the median lane. I believe that is where the lowest clearance is.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Martyn wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Just don't roll down Wolf Creek Pass at 13-9 without listening to CW McCall first!

I rolled down Wolf Creek Pass towing double - it's the last bit going west that is the steepest part. Anyway, Wolf Creek Pass is about 150 miles south of I-70. 🙂

I know where WC pass is. Listen to the song and you'll understand......:)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ELDEN1948
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for all of the feedback. The manufacturer's data sheet states the height is 13-11 but I will measure the height. We have a Ford F-350: a few of you mentioned Wolf Creek Pass - we drove that route in May 2016 with no issues. We have also driven I-17 in Arizona, steep grade north and south - again, no issues.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to warn him about Wolf Creek, you might as well include Monarch, Engineer, Coal Bin, and Mastadon Gulch.

None of them have anything to do with I-70, but they are neat places.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Just don't roll down Wolf Creek Pass at 13-9 without listening to CW McCall first!

I rolled down Wolf Creek Pass towing double - it's the last bit going west that is the steepest part. Anyway, Wolf Creek Pass is about 150 miles south of I-70. 🙂
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are bridges in downtown on I-25 that are on the low side especially in the right and left lanes because they are arches. Semis have hit them before. But if you stay on I-70 you won't hit those bridges.

Here's an article about an incident a couple years ago. This was a truck pulling an excavator so I'm guessing it was oversized and taller than a normal trailer. The second picture shows how they can get low on the sides, and shows a clearance sign of 13'0". http://www.denverpost.com/2015/08/27/police-locate-semi-that-hit-four-bridges-on-i-25-in-denver/

I personally would never take our trailer on I-25 through there anyway. The lanes are narrow and people drive crazy through there. It's stressful even in a car! Much easier to skip over to I-70, or if going south or north, get on E-470 (the toll road) and just pay the money and save yourself a lot of aggravation.

I agree w/ the others to the OP, are you sure you're 13'11"? We've got a really tall toyhauler 5er and we're at 13'1".
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
13'-11" would require an "Oversize Load" permit in some states. Are you sure???
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
AFAIK, all US interstates can accommodate semis so not to worry.
Then hows come my GPS set for a height of 13' routed me off of I-25 in downtown Denver because of low clearance?

Some of the bridges in the mid-town section of I-25 are quite low.

Rick

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ELDEN1948 wrote:
We will be driving through Colorado on I-70 from Grand Junction to east of Denver on our way to Michigan in May 2018. The trip planner shows about 5 tunnels on this route. I have contacted CO DOT about elevations in these tunnels. The specs on our 5th wheel say our height is 13-11. I believe we won't have any issues with clearance in the tunnels. Has anyone traveled this route? Is my assumption about clearance for our rig correct?

13' - 11" is 5" over the normal standard or 13' - 6" are you sure that it is what the manufacturer stated?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ELDEN1948 wrote:
The specs on our 5th wheel say our height is 13-11.

If you really are 13' 11" you are 5" over the legal height of 13'6". Therefore, you could find some problems traveling even on the interstates. You should very carefully and as accurately as you can measure your actual height with the tow vehicle attached.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
AFAIK, all US interstates can accommodate semis so not to worry.
Then hows come my GPS set for a height of 13' routed me off of I-25 in downtown Denver because of low clearance?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For any road, if you see semis coming the other way, you are safe.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. No problem on the height . ... As others have noted be careful on the down grade from tunnel.. Jim2007... take it slow and do not ride the brakes..
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel