cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mud Flaps again

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
After searching and reading all the posts about mud flaps I'm even more confused. What is the best way to protect a toad on a dolly behind a class A? Individual mud flaps behind the duals or a full width flap on the back of the coach? In each case, what is the optimal distance from the bottom of the flap to the pavement? Do the flaps need iron braces to prevent sailing or does that just cause problems on uneven roads when the tail end drops low? Is installing a guard on the front of the dolly the best solution? Thanks, Gary.
21 REPLIES 21

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Before going full timing, I followed many RVs in the rain (Portland, Oregon area) and noticed what Mile High's daughter did. Full side to side rock flap just 'sploshed' the car with buckets of water, and whatever other debris the RVs tires picked up. The side to side skirts flooded the toad with smaller droplets, but still a heavy rainstorm. I think this has to do with the flaps acting as a sail as mentioned earlier. The best rigs to follow ONLY had the OEM mud flaps behind the duals.

So that's what I've done, is use only the OEM mud flaps. Not using a tow bar skirt either (far too expensive for some nylons and plastic tubing). No damage to the toad so far, and only time the car gets filthy is when I'm in and out of 'scattered showers' during a trip, or have to detour on a gravel road. It does show some dirt generally after a few days towing in fair weather though.

One thing I did do to the toad is cover the headlight lenses with that Clear 3M stick on protective plastic sheet. And so far it has saved one lens from a rock hit. I can see the evidence in the 3M material...lens is fine.

Just measured the mud flaps and they are 1/2" from the ground...but, it's possible the rig raises a little when the air bags fill? I've not noticed much of a rise but it probably does.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter was following us in a rainstorm on the interstate, back when I had my rear flap on, and she said the Jeep just literally disappeared in a storm of water back there! I'm curious what it will look like with the flap off now.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, You are right the car will get dirty no matter what, but the difference I experienced was amazing with and without the rear rock guard. I am sure there is a difference between one coach to the next.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
First, there are mud flaps and there are rock guards. Mud flaps go behind the wheels. Rock guards go across the rear of the coach on the back end. We have met many long distance RV folks like ourselves that have removed the rock guards and installed mud flaps because the rock guards caused more damage or issues than the mud flaps. Not to mention dragging on the ground and getting damaged themselves pulling in and out of gas stations park entrances and other areas that have a "dip". We pulled ours off and tossed it away about a year ago. I added my own mud flaps behind the back wheels. We have just crossed 10,000 miles on this trip towing the car behind us and so far, absolutely no damage or issues using just the mud flaps. The car is going to get dirty no matter which you decide to use. Chuck

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
For you folks that have NO mud flaps. Does your home state not require them? Most states do.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH had both a rear full width flap on the rear bumper and a flap behind each rear dual. I wasn't happy with some rock chips on the toad so, after reading some posts on this forum, I took off the bumper mounted flap. At first I was happy with that but then I realized that the toad was covered with dirt etc. and the headlights and windshield were getting sand blasted and I had to wash the windshield to even be able to drive it. The rear flap was so low that it could drag on the road if I went up an incline so I cut about 2 or 3 inches off from it and put it back on, it is now about 4" off the ground when setting level. I haven't had anymore trouble with it and the toad stays much cleaner. I think a "protect a tow" mounted under the tow bar would be the best protection but I haven't put one on yet. It is on my want list.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I too had the full flap on the back and it beat the heck out of the toad (rocks collected in the hood seams, air intake, etc). I took off the rear full width flap, but left the ones on behind the tires and no more issues. I even had to pull it through 18 miles of gravel road the other day because of a traffic re-route, and still no damage.

I saw a coach like mine the other day and he had rigged a hanging method for his rear flap, so when he towed he swung it up and it latched horizontal. Kind of a cool idea.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
My first motorhome had the full hard flap at the rear. My Toad took a beating. The motorhome that I have now has a grass skirt about 10 feet from the rear. much better for the Toad. Both had hard flaps behind the rear tires.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
My toad does not get damaged. No mudflap on mine. X2
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had both. Rear tire mud flaps and rear full length flap. Front of toad looks like it got peppered with rocks. I read on some forum that by having both sets of flaps, it created additional turbulence under the rig that caused more damage.
So, I removed the full length flap and built a fabric cover that extends from the coach to the toad.

So far, so good.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Mud flaps cause more damage than having none, flaps that hit the ground will destroy a toad in short order, that's how I found out, just make sure they don't drag over bumps and dips in the road.

Sorry, but I've had the complete opposite hands on experience. Never had any issues where it's caused damage. In fact it's saved the toad more than once with road debris. The last was a 4x4 by 2 feet long that I ran over. The rear wheels shot it out like a bullet. Bent the **** outta the mud flap ( and I'm still using it bent). Without that it wouldmhavebwent into the engine, thru the radiator or maybe into the toad. Our sit about 4" above the road while driving.

Never had any issues with a toad being destroyed by our flap.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I have the short stiff flaps behind the rear tires, the long flap at the end of the Coach that goes down farther and I use the Protect a Tow system. No issues and this is my third vehicle being towed.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Are individual flaps mounted behind the duals liable to get flipped over the tires? Is that more likely if the flap is too long (too close to the ground)?

The stiffness of the flaps and the normal air flow while underway is usually more than enough to keep the flaps from flipping over the tires. About the only time I've seen flipped up flaps on buses or trucks was after a tire blow out where the flap was the least of the concerns. A low hanging flap would tend to get dragged away from the tires, not towards them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Are individual flaps mounted behind the duals liable to get flipped over the tires? Is that more likely if the flap is too long (too close to the ground)?