cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnetic Tow Lights Failure

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I recently ordered some magnetic tow lights for towing my 2017 Pacifica with our dolly.
The first time out they went bye bye when the magnets let loose on the highway with less than a 100 miles of use. The vendor that sold them via Amazon removed them from Amazon and refunded our money which was nice.
So to replace them I went to U Haul and found a set much better built and with very heavy duty magnets for $10 less than what I had paid at Amazon ($40 there).
If you need magnetic lights check out the local U Haul. I figured as they were in the towing business they might have some good ones.
Just some advice, check how strong whatever you buy is before you accept it.
In our case a 250 mile trip to Las Vegas resulted in the loss of the first set in less than 100 miles.
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
9 REPLIES 9

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Those that don't Amazon should be aware that in this case the lights were supplied by a vendor on Amazon and chances are that Amazon had never seen them.

That being said, I have bought products from them I did not like and never had a problem returning them to Amazon for full credit.

I agree that at times online sales are the only source as local stores in smaller communities just don't carry what I need.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like everything else, Scamazon is evolving. I see less "deals" than I used to on particular items.
As well I've bought some real junk a couple times. Test run to see if you really get what you pay for......yup, still do.
Set of OE style driving lights for the wife's car. They weren't even the right lights but they were cheap enough that didn't bother returning them.
Bought some new driving lights for the truck OE style to replace the old busted up ones. Got yellow tint lenses, paid an average amount. Lights seem decent quality but the lens is clear and was painted yellow by some child labor in Taiwan likely, lol.
After a bunch of rain storms it started coming off. Good news is it was so poor that it's now all flaked off and I have decent clear lights!

Bad part is, in not too long we will be forced to order everything on line. Stores don't carry near as much now. I mean, how can I order jugs of motor oil cheaper online delivered to my door than go buy it on sale at the store? Just seems weird. But the stores hardly stock what I'm after.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Denver_Transpla
Explorer
Explorer
We got these LED tow lights from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X0ZJCQA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They replaced an older set I had with incandescent bulbs.

Magnetic grip is excellent. I found a rubber sheet with adhesive backing and cut out pads for the lights. Thin enough that grip isn't affected, but keeps Mini from being scratched.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I58QF8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Sparksvonrou
Explorer
Explorer
We've used them for years in our business and learned to always secure them another way. Cant remember how many we've broken from falling off. I think 3M sells the best double sided tape if your willing to clean glue off afterwards. We've taped them and tied them and even wired them with stiff wire lol.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
harbor freight has them on sale for $10.
bumpy

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
KeninAZ wrote:
I recently ordered some magnetic tow lights ....The first time out they went bye bye when the magnets let loose on the highway....The vendor that sold them via Amazon removed them from Amazon and refunded our money which was nice.

I'm finding more and more that Amazon isn't always the cheapest option. I think for a long time they really pushed prices down to get people hooked on them, now they push the online convenience factor, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are the best bargain. Sometimes they still are, but the buyer needs to be smart and price shop.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Bedlam
I almost lost a cheap set of tow lights too. The magnets pulled out of the base of the light and stayed on the car. I had fastened the wires down through the hood into the car and out rear hatch which kept the lights from dragging when they let loose but had to duct tape the lights to the rear window to finish the tow.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
TNX, been there and done that before and had planned on it.
The lights from U Haul did come with some protection on the magnet but it does not appear to be much.
One set I had years ago I applied the felt and it worked great but I still had to put one hand on the base and whack the light topside with the other hand to get it loose.
It's better than losing a set though!

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try using some felt under the magnets to prevent scratching the finish of the car. Make sure the felt is clean or it will be worse.