cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressures and my air compressor

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so granted I am not the heaviest brick in the load so thought I'd ask this question. It might be simple logic but I want to be sure. My RV tires are to be at 130PSI front and 120PSI rear.

My air compressor states that it has a maximum pressure or 150PSI tank pressure. So,if this is running properly it should fill the tires to their respective pressures. Right? Should I assume that since the tire pressure is to be 130 and the max pressure from the compressor is 150 then the amount added is only 20PSI and it a very slow rate??

Or should I get a higher PSI capacity air compressor to do the job?
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
24 REPLIES 24

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
QUOTE FROM SIDECARFLIP'S POST:
"I disagree with your premise that the center of the tire will wear down in no time or the unit will ride like a brick. Tires are designed to run at maximum listed sidewall pressure and tires provide very little compliance (flex) when rolling. The suspension provides ride compliance (comfort) not the tires. Tires are designed to carry a load with minimal flex (which causes internal heat), not provide a comfortable ride."

SIDECARFLIP, you need to do a little more study on the design of radial tires. Radial tires are designed TO FLEX IN THE SIDEWALL, because the tread is stiffened to prevent it's flexing. Also, the air pressure in radial tires will definitely have an effect on ride and tread pattern wear.
"designed to carry a load with minimal flex" certainly applied to the old bias ply tires, for if they flexed the scissors action within the plies would cause heat buildup and eventually failure.
The secret to radial tires is to have the PROPER air pressure, not too much, not too little, for the load you are carrying on each tire. Provided you have the correct pressure, the belts in the tread are flat with the road, very little stress on shoulders or center of tread; result is nice ride and wear pattern.
Sorry to take so long, but after dealing with radial tires for 40 years, I just couldn't let this one get by me.

Ohio_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you only need to "top off" your tires (add 5 to 10 psi). If that is what you need than air volume isn't an issue.
If you need to add more there is something wrong and the tire may have structural damage. I would only have a professional shop do the inflation (in a cage) if I needed more than 10% to the pressure.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember folks, the tire valve core has a basic opening pressure. your compressor must at least have that pressure over the desired pressure to get the air into the tire.

want to prove that? use an old rubber tire filler with a core in it, connect it to your compressor, set the regulator at 0 and slowly add pressure until the valve core opens.

Ive seen them as low as 10 psi, and as high as 80 psi.

Valve core is pushed open by the metal peg in the center of the chuck that also opens the chuck. Want to prove it? take a chuck, not connected to an air hose and push it on the core, air comes out because the chuck opens the core.

Charles

If one of those low pressure fillers is what your using sure, but those who use a little home shop air compressor don't want to hold it that long for coach tires.
mine screws on and works on a pressure differential.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember folks, the tire valve core has a basic opening pressure. your compressor must at least have that pressure over the desired pressure to get the air into the tire.

want to prove that? use an old rubber tire filler with a core in it, connect it to your compressor, set the regulator at 0 and slowly add pressure until the valve core opens.

Valve core is pushed open by the metal peg in the center of the chuck that also opens the chuck. Want to prove it? take a chuck, not connected to an air hose and push it on the core, air comes out because the chuck opens the core.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
A 150 psi compressor means that it shuts off at 150 psi, and turns on at some other pressure (???). Don't know what your unit does in this case but if it is below 130 psi you will have a problem filling a 130 psi tire because when getting at or near this level the air flow will stop or severely slow down. If this is the case you will have to force the compressor to turn on by using a hand nozzle to get it to turn on and begin filling to the 150 psi shut off point. You can fill the tire in this cycle. Hope that makes sense.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Got to ask why not just tap your air brake system for air most likely provides 150 psi and should be easy to tap the supply tank.

No, most DP air systems cut out around 120 PSI. Yes, that should be adequate for most coaches, but certainly not if 120 PSI or above is needed.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got to ask why not just tap your air brake system for air most likely provides 150 psi and should be easy to tap the supply tank.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
HighwayJunky wrote:
In reply, Tires are Michelin's and are 2.25. New coach and labels say pressures at to be set at 130PSI for front and 120PSI for rear. 38'ft MH. 31000 lbs

What rims do you have? truck Steel Type?

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
In reply, Tires are Michelin's and are 2.25. New coach and labels say pressures at to be set at 130PSI for front and 120PSI for rear. 38'ft MH. 31000 lbs
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
The rate at which the tire will fill is directly controlled by the difference in pressure between the tank and the tire. Make sure the regulator on the outlet is set to maximum.

I owned a coach that required 130 on the fronts. The porter cable pancake compressor rated for 150 psi filled them just fine
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weight your rig...doubt you need that much pressure.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Just for your info, my 10 X 22.5 aluminum rims are stamped "120 PSI maximum"

tires = same thing, right on the tire sidewall.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Porta-Cable pancake 150 PSI compressor that I bought at Lowe's. I have no idea what the CFM (cubic foot per minute) is on this unit. I can tell you it is kinda slow but it gets there.

We have Michelin 365's on the front and tag of our coach with 315's on the drive axle. My target pressures are 115 for the fronts, 100 in the drive and 90 in the tags. We weigh 55,500 lbs. I keep an extra 3-4 lbs. for insurance.

The OP'ers pressures do seem high but it does depend on the tire. I would certainly get the coach weighed on four corners and then use the tire manufacturer charts.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins