Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

snow load on 17' Boler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My brother has acquired a 17 foot Boler from 1977.

He is concerned about snow load.

Does anyone know if this is a concern? (It is mentioned in the manual).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
16 REPLIES 16

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Escape 17 (another brand of fiberglass egg) that I stored under a fabric cover in Oswego, NY (150" - 200" of snow each winter). Most of the snow is light lake effect stuff, but I still scraped it off the trailer once it got over 2' deep.

You may want to use a little extra concern about the Boler since it was designed without rooftop AC & may not take as large a snow load. Unfortunately, I've seen a few with caved in roofs here in the Northeast.

My current solution with my Escape 21 is to hook it up & head for southern Arizona!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Since my brother purchased it 2 weeks ago I have no idea about the rally.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
SaltiDawg,

It has been in Saskatchewan for most of its life.

Has it been to the rally in Macklin?

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
SaltiDawg,

Thanks,

I had missed that.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SaltiDawg,

Regards, Don

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
the trailer has been around since 1977 if there was such a concern about snow load there should be signs of damage by now i doubt that it had the snow removed from the roof after every larger snow fall in that amount of time unless its been stored under cover the whole time.

Maybe the San Diego owner wasn't worried about Snow Loading.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the comments.
Regards, Don

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the trailer has been around since 1977 if there was such a concern about snow load there should be signs of damage by now i doubt that it had the snow removed from the roof after every larger snow fall in that amount of time unless its been stored under cover the whole time.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna - lots of Bolers sat around the grain belt without covers - the winter breezes keep the light weight snow ('scuse my cussin') off ๐Ÿ™‚ Suggest park it out in the wind.

If it has to be parked where it can be piled on, suggest a simple tent made from a princess auto poly tarp (colour optional) pitched nice and steep to shed snow ('scuse my cussin') like a chalet roof - new set of challenges to protect the trailer from the spars and riggin' from flappin' and bangin'

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Go to fiberglass trailers and talk to the people who have lots of fiberglass trailers and live in the snow areas and see what they do for the snow on the trailer.
J herb

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bracing from the inside merely adds a second set of forces.

A little research shows that the issue is that Bolers were built to be very lightweight and so the very brittle fibreglass develops stress cracks under relatively little snow load. Adding a brace inside would just cause more issues.

That goes to my original post of recommending a whole separate roof over top.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Snow load caused this

Living in the Sierras, my opinion about snow load is to shovel it off the roof. A foot of slush can concave the roof, bulge the sides and cause nightmares. No way to avoid damage, where a pillar from ground straight up does not protect the rest of the roof sags.

Straight out of the School of Hard Knocks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What about bracing from the inside?
Regards, Don

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The OP says it's mentioned in the manual so I think it should be a concern.