cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee steps again

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
My Kwikee steps (on a 2008 Allegro) failed a few weeks ago -- they will not extend.

Sorry for the long post but I think the details may be important, but if you want to jump ahead - my question is "How do I actually get the wires from the battery into that tiny plug on the motor without risking a short?"

I kinda feel like it's an electrical problem since they never ave reliably retracted, and would sometimes extend even when driving.

But ... now they are stuck in the retracted state.

I ordered the diagnostic 4-way pigtail for the steps and started the troubleshooting found on page 7 here: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/pg_875.pdf

I got to this step:
7. To extend the step, touch the white wire to the battery's positive (+) post. The step should extend and remain extended.

So then I proceeded to :
10. If any of the step functions do not work, the source of the malfunction is either in the control unit and/or the motor. Proceed to the "Testing the Motor" section.

Which gets me here:....
11. Disconnect the two-way connector between the step motor and the control unit.
Connect the motorโ€™s red wire to the positive (+) terminal of the battery and touch the motorโ€™s yellow wire to the negative (_) terminal of the battery to extend the step. To retract the step, reverse the connections. If the step extends and retracts during this test, the condition of the step motor is good.
NOTE: On steps with control unit #909507000 reverse the red and yellow wire connections to perform the afore- mentioned test.

So here is my question -- How do I actually get the wires from the battery into that tiny plug on the motor without risking a short?
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
8 REPLIES 8

sfo1969
Explorer
Explorer
just take a plastic or rubber hammer and give the motor a couple of good hits you would be sup prized what that will fix. i have to do it to mine every so often.

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
Today I tried supplying 12V into the plug. I just got sparks, no reaction from the motor.

So I removed the motor so I could see more clearly -- still just sparks.

Does that indicate I am doing something incorrectly?

Or is it an indication that the motor has failed?

I am attaching a photo of the motor plug where I am applying power...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d2cYxAFfrjGCFSHz2

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Ended that problem. Was concerned when i picked it up of them dragging but if careful. No problem
Dennis Hoppert

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
beaubeau wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
apply 12 volts to the motor and see if the motor energizes

This is the part I'm asking about -- about how to do this with our risking a short.

It's 12 volts - as stated I just jammed a positive/negative in the proper slots on the pigtail and the motor fired up. Your steps have their own fuse (which I assume you already checked when your steps stopped working). Your issue is either a bad motor, bad controller, bad battery, loose wire, bad door switch etc. Easy steps are to 1) rule out bad battery and related connections. 2) rule out bad motor 3) rule out bad door switch and your pretty much left with bad controller.
Kevin

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
apply 12 volts to the motor and see if the motor energizes

This is the part I'm asking about -- about how to do this with our risking a short.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The steps connect to the motor via a swing arm. You can remove a cotter pin which hold a metal bar in place - when you remove the metal bar the steps should swing free. With the steps disconnected you can apply 12 volts to the motor and see if the motor energizes and the swing arm moves. I just jammed a small wire attached to 12 volt battery into the connectors.

FYI - When steps move in/out on there own that is often a sign that you have a low battery or loose wire. Make sure the battery is fully charged, clean/tighten the battery connections, and make sure the grounds are clean (common issue as they are exposed and get corroded).
Kevin

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
In my case, when the steps would not extend, I pulled the wires off the motor and checked. I found voltage there, but the overtorque relay was tripping out as the voltage would go off after a short burst.

I undid the frame bolts so the steps were looser, and tried again, and presto, the steps worked fine. With that bit of info, I got some shims and put them under the bolts and washers and tightened it up. It stayed working.

This is good info - since when I tested the voltage at the 4-way plug and found 12V I never though to check it at the motor itself.

And boy do my steps seem bound up tight when they are retracted...

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, when the steps would not extend, I pulled the wires off the motor and checked. I found voltage there, but the overtorque relay was tripping out as the voltage would go off after a short burst.

I undid the frame bolts so the steps were looser, and tried again, and presto, the steps worked fine. With that bit of info, I got some shims and put them under the bolts and washers and tightened it up. It stayed working.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel