Am I overweight ?

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Silverado 1500 and a bumper pull toy hauler

Front truck axle 3500 lbs
Rear Truck axle 4800 lbs

Trailer axle 6600 lbs

I gvnr says 3950 lbs for the front and rear axle ....

Am I 850 lbs over ?

I also have a ATV in the bed of the truck.
23 REPLIES 23

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Happy.Camper wrote:

6600 lbs was the total weight for both axles.. both axles were on the scale at the same time. so NOT 13,200

I always have a 1300 lb Rzr in the back .

That still doesn't make sense.

If you have a 1300lb Rzr and 1500lbs of other gear, the empty weight of the empty weight of the trailer is only around 3800lbs with a 6200lb CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). While toy haulers have higher CCC, that seems a bit extreme.

What model trailer do you have?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Happy.Camper wrote:
I have E rated tires.

Would I still be over if I had a 3/4 ton?

I am using the 4th chain on my WD hitch, would using the 5th or 6th chain help?

My toy hauler gvnr is 10,000 lbs

You're heavy and likely that's about all your truck wants to haul and pull.
You're in 3/4 ton territory solidly, but if you have the wdh setup right and good trailer brakes it's not the death trap some are making it out to be.
IMO it's all about duty cycle.
Tow that setup all over the country for thousands upon thousands of miles? No , you'll wear out what's left of your 8 year old 1/2 ton truck much quicker.
Couple few short trips a year to the park or huntin camp, I'd do it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You are way over. I see a trip to the truck store in your future.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
This type of post is where I really wish they had a form you can fill out to help with these posts where you fill in weight data and it feeds into the post.

I believe he is way overweight but so many unclear numbers and acronyms, I can't say for sure.

If the 3950 is the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and the measured load on the rear axle is 4800, yes, you are over on that rating by a large amount.

If the trailer axles are 6600 each (13200 total) and 10000 GVNR(???) is really the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), your trailer is way overweight by itself.

Good chance your truck GVWR is over and the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: it total of both truck and trailer) are way over.

There may be other things that are over also but hard to say with sketch info. If you have a 12,000lb toy hauler, yeah, you are probably looking a a minimum of 3/4 ton but only if the detailed numbers work out. A SRW (Single Rear Wheel) 1 ton, will probably work.

Another consideration with a toy hauler is will you ever pull it with no toys? The toys in the back reduce the hitch weight. So if you have 12-15% of the trailer on the hitch, if you take the toys out, even though the total weight of the trailer goes down, the hitch weight is likely to go up.

6600 lbs was the total weight for both axles.. both axles were on the scale at the same time. so NOT 13,200

I always have a 1300 lb Rzr in the back .

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
This type of post is where I really wish they had a form you can fill out to help with these posts where you fill in weight data and it feeds into the post.

I believe he is way overweight but so many unclear numbers and acronyms, I can't say for sure.

If the 3950 is the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) and the measured load on the rear axle is 4800, yes, you are over on that rating by a large amount.

If the trailer axles are 6600 each (13200 total) and 10000 GVNR(???) is really the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), your trailer is way overweight by itself.

Good chance your truck GVWR is over and the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: it total of both truck and trailer) are way over.

There may be other things that are over also but hard to say with sketch info. If you have a 12,000lb toy hauler, yeah, you are probably looking a a minimum of 3/4 ton but only if the detailed numbers work out. A SRW (Single Rear Wheel) 1 ton, will probably work.

Another consideration with a toy hauler is will you ever pull it with no toys? The toys in the back reduce the hitch weight. So if you have 12-15% of the trailer on the hitch, if you take the toys out, even though the total weight of the trailer goes down, the hitch weight is likely to go up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
happy camper wrote:
If the rear-end goes out, can I replace it with a 1 ton rear end as long as the ratio is the same ?

Gentlemen...I would think he is messing with us. Anybody who would make a comment like this has to be joking:R
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
jim1521 wrote:
you should never go less than 5 links on your WD hitch. You need to raise the WD hitch so that you have at least 5 links.

Lets just add that doing this will not fix the overweight problem.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Two things: 1) yes, you're overweight big time on the rear axle. 2) you should never go less than 5 links on your WD hitch. You need to raise the WD hitch so that you have at least 5 links.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your current truck is carrying 8,300 pounds on the axles. Assuming a typicall 2500 truck would be somewhat heavier even empty you might be around 9,000 to 10,000 with the same ATV and trailer on a 2500 truck. Most of the newer ones have a GVWR of around 9,200 to 10,000 so it should just be fine. 2500 trucks 10 to 15 years ago typically had a GVWR around 8,600 to 9,200 so most of them would likely still be overweight.
No, a dually isn't required but it would be wise to step up to a 3500 single rear wheel truck.
As for replacing your rear axle, that doesn't address springs, frame, brakes, or various other things that are beyond their specification with your current truck. You likely couldn't get a 1 ton rear to fit anyway. The spring perches will probably be a different size, the U-joint yoke a different size, etc.
A 3500 truck is simply more massive than a 1500 in every way: frame, engine, drivetrain, axles, driveshafts, brakes, rims, tires, etc. Your driving experience would be night and day different.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
I thought that this was going to be a variation of the "do these pants make my butt look big" question.
The answer would still be yes....
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that this was going to be a variation of the "do these pants make my butt look big" question.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Happy.Camper wrote:
Holy smokes !

So what do I need to do ? go out and buy a dually ?

Maybe. What you needed to do (past tense) was figure out just how much trailer you could tow with your particular truck before buying a trailer that's way too much for it, probably even without that ATV also in the truck's cargo bed. As mentioned, you're not just "over", you're WAY over wanting to tow and carry that much weight with your light weight 1/2 ton. Since you already have the trailer and presumably insist on still taking all that extra "stuff", yeah - you're definitely looking at upgrading your truck to something much more substantial. The answer as to exactly what truck will do this for you lay in the numbers, meaning weight everything with the trailer fully loaded & ready to camp, account for the weight of all that extra "stuff" you're taking, figure out the trailer's gross tongue weight as well, and crunch the numbers so you know how much truck you'll need. No question, it won't be a 1/2 ton. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Happy.Camper wrote:
My toy hauler gvnr is 10,000 lbs

Gotta ask - what the heck is "gvnr" ? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
For most toy haulers, you're going to need a "real" truck. Not a passenger car on truck chassis like most 150/1500 are. Suspension too soft and axles too small.