cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hershey- Went, Saw & Bought our 1st RV!

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
So months of research completed, we planned and set out for Hershey this past weekend.

Leaving at 4:30am on our 4hr trip from our home on Long Island, through NYC w/o traffic (thank god) and after a quick dash on RT78 we made it.

We have like one RV dealer here on L.I. and they only sell Jayco.

I wanted to see many brands, so Hershey was planned for months. Before we went, for days I looked up online every manufacturer who would be at the show. Since we had a specific TT requirement in length, weight and kid bunks, I was able to eliminate probably two dozen manufacturer's who didn't sell TTs or were too small. It saved us a ton of time.

We arrived at 9:15 on Saturday morning. Traffic attendants were stopping cars on Hershey Park Drive to allow the HOARDS of people cross the road from the field parking across from the Giants Center.

We parked in the field and the line waiting to cross the road was hundreds of people deep and probably a dozen or so wide. After waiting twenty minutes and moving up slowly, they would stop cars and let a hundred or so people cross the road. Waited again on the other side to get tickets and go through metal detectors. Prob a good 45min just to get in.

From there we were off! No browsing. No window shopping. We beelined to the closest dealer who was on my list. We didn't pussyfoot around. Marched up to the eager salesman and blurted out "Under 6000lbs, less than 30ft, slide, outdoor kitchen, bunks, and bedroom with a wall!" He blinked, smiled and said, "Uh ok" and started walking to what he had.

DW looked at me and was like 'yeah that was a bit rough'. She said the only thing I didn't say was "NOW DAMNIT". I chuckled and realized I had to tone it down a notch, so I did. Just too ready and excited I guess.

So we looked for hours and hours at TT that met or were close to our needs. It was sunny, 85 degs and crazy full of people.

The show had zero places to sit while walking around. Seniors sitting on the curb just to rest. No place to sit and eat. When we were hungry about 1 pm we saw the food truck lines were probably 50 people deep, each. We didn't wait the 45 mins it was going to take to get a gyro. We just went hungry until we left.

Went into Giants Center and it was worse than Disney World on a Saturday in August. Wall to wall people. A slow-moving sea of walking bodies crammed into the hallway circumventing the arena. Crazy!

So after six hours of looking at 20 TTs or so, we took all the brochures and left to eat and crash at our hotel. Narrowed down our decision to three and went back on Sunday.

Sunday had a fraction of the people Saturday had! No line to get in at 9:30. We went right to the 4 TTs were were interested in. Looked them all over. Eliminated two. Went back and fourth again between the two that were left. Then looked up prices online.

Sat down on some grass for a bit and talked it out. Finally, we decided the one we wanted. So we went back and pulled the trigger!

Our first travel trailer! Woo Hoo! So long tent camping - you gave us many fun years but we were soooo done with you!

The TT is on order. Pick up in 10-12 weeks because we wanted upgrades to the one that was at the show. However, we got free storage until April 1st. We may or may not get it before then.

We are happy with our choice - and the size fits us, and our home parking/storage, just right.

...oh yeah, we went with a 29' 5300lb 2018 KZ Connect C241BKH 2018 KZ Connect 241BHK.
15 REPLIES 15

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur
You are one of the better prepared buyers. I applaud your your research and your planning.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good for you now just think of all the things you can buy for it before you even get it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
See if you can accept delivery in the spring.
That way you will not have to worry should something happening over the winter.
Your warranty will start running then.

Spring delivery & warranty delay.
Had that one in the holster long before I showed up.
Yep, Got'er done.

...months of research remember.

Turtle n Peeps wrote:
You're a great writer! I really enjoyed reading your story! Congrats on your new trailer!

Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

SidecarFlip wrote:
The OP's commentary sounded like one of the Trump rally's I attended....lol

The show. It was yuge. Buhleeve me. I know when something is bigly.
I've been around a long time and I have people. The best and the brightest.

Now I'm just waiting for KZ to build my big, beautiful trailer.
They are going to build it. I promise you.
...and Mexico is going to pay for it.

austingta wrote:
What are you towing with?

For now my Ford e250 work van. Tow cap 6600. GCVR 12000. Curb 5336. TT 5370dry.
5336tv + 5370 ttdw = 10706.
At 90% gcwr and 80% tow cap dry.

I know I can't really add much payload at all with the tow weight.
I will take work equipment out when we tow.

Right now we're keeping the camping local under an hour.
It's pretty flat here on sand bar Long Island unless you're in residential north shore areas.

So, DW will be following in SUV w/ kid. stuff & mouth breathing Lab.
She has to because van doesn't have back seats.

Maybe by next spring, there will be an F250 in the driveway.

spoon059 wrote:
We went to Hershey on Sunday and had about a 5 minute wait to get in. Crowds weren't that bad in my opinion. Super annoying that you couldn't even bring sealed bottles of water this year.

Yes Sunday was a breeze.
We brought in 6 bottles of water. No one questioned it at all.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on the purchase. Looks like you did plenty of research before buying. Something many do not do then they are selling & looking again in a year or so.

We did Hershey a couple of times before buying. Never did buy at the show. It was so overwhelming, even knowing what we were after. Never bought from a dealer either. Bought private sale on a less than 1 year old unit.

thought about going to Hershey this year just for a hoot but went to a bluegrass festival instead. Missed the crowds.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, congrats on your new purchase. I agree with another poster... see if you can postpone the delivery date until spring. Your warranty clock starts ticking as soon as you accept delivery. If you wait until late April to accept delivery that gives you an entire season to camp, a full winter to let it sit, and gives you a chance to go camping early April the next year and see if anything has broken before your warranty expires.

We went to Hershey on Sunday and had about a 5 minute wait to get in. Crowds weren't that bad in my opinion. Food is always expensive and a long wait at Hershey. We usually get sandwiches at the Sheetz down the road before we park. Super annoying that you couldn't even bring sealed bottles of water this year. Yes, you could get a free cup of water from any vendor, but then we had to stand in line for 15 minutes just to ask for a cup of water. No thanks...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mattmountz94
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the purchase! That's crazy how 30mins makes a difference. I pulled in to the field at 945 and was walking around the show at 955. There was absolutely no line at all.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice job power shopping! Enjoy the new camper!
Always tent camped until a few years ago. Wife drew the line at tent camping in brown bear country when we moved to AK.
Along came the truck camper.....now it's just 2 easy to walk in, open the freezer, pul out a few frosty clear cubes (vs the left over beer and tomato soaked ice block in the Coleman cooler when tent camping), pour some ice cold Crown royal over them and open the fridge for a cold coke mixer.
Heat/AC, queen bed, hot shower and a full kitchen don't hurt either........
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck on your new KZ Connect TT, here's hoping it delivers on all your expectations. Been to many dozens of RV shows over the years but always found prices on the steep side although they were supposedly show prices. As mentioned above, if you can delay the actual start of the warranty until April it would give you additional warranty time. Many purchase before the winter to get great pricing and don't use for nearly 6 months only to find items needing attention that occurred after just the 6 months they were able to use it.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's commentary sounded like one of the Trump rally's I attended....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
What are you towing with?
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

KX5002
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, we were there Saturday and Sunday too, if I ever go back it will be on a Sunday... what a zoo.
Not all who wander are lost... But I usually am.
2005 F-250 4x4 CC 5.4 gas

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, and we hope you have many great memorable years with the new trailer!

Now, the worst part, ....... the wait. We've been there, and it's sad when you've ordered a trailer, are patiently waiting, and passing up nice camping time in the Fall of the year.

Again, congratulations!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You're a great writer! I really enjoyed reading your story! Congrats on your new trailer!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
See if you can accept delivery in the spring.
That way you will not have to worry should something happening over the winter.
Your warranty will start running then.
Make sure you do a thorough inspection before paying for the rig and if work is needed try not to give them all of the difference until the repairs are made.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind