cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WEN Brand Generators?

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with this product? I love the price and reviews say it is a Yamaha clone...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMNLF4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
22 REPLIES 22

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Hugemouth...

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
It's not if it pukes, it's WEN.....:R
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
I've had such good service from my Lifan motorcycles that I bought a Lifan Energy Storm 2000 watt inverter generator. What a disappointment, I returned it and bought a Wen 1250 watt inverter generator. The little Wen is excellent! Quality is much better than the Lifan. Starts super easy, runs smooth and quiet.

The Lifan engine was a 105cc clone of the Honda 2000 generator that uses a cogged belt running in oil to turn the single lobe cam. The Wen is a 60cc clone of the 50cc Yamaha engine that has a gear driven single lobe cam and pushrods.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The wfco converter never gets into "boost" mode when charging--so it is slow.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Surviver76,

Yes, adding a battery will help so long as the solar system has enough capacity to recharge the battery bank. Rule of thumb is between 60 and 150 watts of panels for every 100 amp-hours of storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
The entire generator affair is just so messy so what about this...

If I just add another similar house batt, that would make it so I could go longer between sunny days. Am I thinking correctly on this? Thanks in advance..

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Surviver76 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Have to ask what brand of converter you have?

Reason I ask is, if you have a WFCO, don't expect it to keep your house battery charged up without running any genny for a long period. It's not 'smart' enough to top off your house battery in a reasonable amount of time....

So would you say that the Honda 2000i IS smart enough to charge the house batt in a reasonable time?

It's not the generator at fault, it's the WFCO converter. They spend most of their time at "float" voltage, which is the slowest charging rate for a battery.

When you're on generator, you want to be in bulk or at least absorb mode, shoveling as many amps into the battery as is safely practical. So you need a smarter charger, like a progressive dynamic, or other brands.

I guess my old mind is not keeping up. That just confused the hell out of me... any chance you might break it down a bit more for me... thnx

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Surviver76 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Reason I ask is, if you have a WFCO, don't expect it to keep your house battery charged up without running any genny for a long period. It's not 'smart' enough to top off your house battery in a reasonable amount of time....

So would you say that the Honda 2000i IS smart enough to charge the house batt in a reasonable time?

It's not the generator at fault, it's the WFCO converter. They spend most of their time at "float" voltage, which is the slowest charging rate for a battery.

When you're on generator, you want to be in bulk or at least absorb mode, shoveling as many amps into the battery as is safely practical. So you need a smarter charger, like a progressive dynamic, or other brands.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
D&J, thanks for that... I am shopping thus far by reading reviews mostly on Amazon. I have not found a bad one so am considering the WEN. There was one string regarding the advertised decibel level which got very involved and covered lots of comparisons to other audible factors. In the end, there were far more reviews saying it was just a bit louder than the Honda 2000i but that it would not garner any complaints when used in a considerate manner...

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Surviver76 wrote:

might run one of the smallest microwaves however this is not a priority as I do not yet own a nuker.

You do not need a small microwave, you need an inverter one.

I have a Panasonic 950W cooking power with 10 power settings. On power settings 1-5, I can run it with a 1000W Magnum 1012 inverter. It holds a standard dinner plate plus the spatter cover.

The Panasonic actually dials back the power draw instead of cycling on-off.

HTH;
John

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Wen is some pretty low end stuff, even by chinese standards. I have a Wen benchtop drill press... it does drill holes.
If you get one, make sure whoever you buy from has good return policy and if the warranty is short, an extended warranty might be a good idea.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that Tuna and as for the converter, well.. I have a Lance 3000 truck camper so whatever the house system is. Not clear on if the Genset has a converter built into it so not so sure how to answer your converter question... ???

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB