cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel leveling devices?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Need recommendations for 5th. wheel leveling measuring "indicators/devices" from front to back. Whats the best, most accurate and easy to read.
11 REPLIES 11

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Spend a few bucks on Hoppy Levels use your prefered level once you get it level S to S and F to B then stick the Hoppy Levels on. If you can't read them you need new glases. I may stick a pair on our new trailer just to keep the self leveling computer honest.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
I gotta ask though - why use a separate level for front-to-back when the Level Master has one built in? Too high up on a 5th to see it? :h

It's not near the switch in our case, so we have a small level on the side above the switch for front to back. But I do like that big level up front where I can see it in the mirror.

Yep....
Level Master is on pin box
The F/R level on Level Master is a small level that is VERY difficult to see from the side of 5th wheel when operating landing gear switch.

Plus it is a SMALL Level that is NOT very accurate due to its small size. Did I mention it is SMALL

:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I gotta ask though - why use a separate level for front-to-back when the Level Master has one built in? Too high up on a 5th to see it? :h

It's not near the switch in our case, so we have a small level on the side above the switch for front to back. But I do like that big level up front where I can see it in the mirror.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pin Box mounted Jumbo Level.....

For front to rear I use a 2' hand held level on bottom edge of bedroom slide out....

Pin Box Jumbo Level & Bracket

Agree, this is the same one I use on my travel trailer, without the 5th wheel brackets. I gotta ask though - why use a separate level for front-to-back when the Level Master has one built in? Too high up on a 5th to see it? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Like mud flaps on vehicles....this is one of the things that drives me crazy in the rv world. Would it kill them to spend $5 and put simple/cheap bubble levels on at factory when the rig is sitting on a perfectly level floor? Now every rig needs to be taken somewhere and leveled depending on fridge/freezer/frame/floor/counter.....etc and many just skip it and eye-ball it. I wonder how many fridges are ruined from "good enough" leveling jobs. rant over

ps, I took a torpedo level and went to a gravel lot and got my rig as close to level as humanly possible in each axis then put levels front/back and on side by jack switch.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Like mud flaps on vehicles....this is one of the things that drives me crazy in the rv world. Would it kill them to spend $5 and put simple/cheap bubble levels on at factory when the rig is sitting on a perfectly level floor? Now every rig needs to be taken somewhere and leveled depending on fridge/freezer/frame/floor/counter.....etc and many just skip it and eye-ball it. I wonder how many fridges are ruined from "good enough" leveling jobs. rant over

ps, I took a torpedo level and went to a gravel lot and got my rig as close to level as humanly possible in each axis then put levels front/back and on side by jack switch.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I also have the jumbo level on my pin box. And a smaller adhesive backed level on the side wall near my switch for my front jacks. I can see the pin box level out the back window of the truck making it easy to level side to side. And the small one near the switch makes it easy to level front to back.

I set both levels by going to a large relatively flat school parking lot on a weekend using a 4' level on the kitchen floor. I made circles until it was level side to side and set the pin box level. Then turned the floor level and made circles until it was as level front to back and set the side level.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pin Box mounted Jumbo Level.....I can watch it via truck rear-view mirror when pulling in/backing in to site for Side-To-Side level.
Shows in 1" increments how much off level.

Set up blocking on low side based on what is showing on level (1", 2" etc) then back onto blocking

That takes care of Side-To-Side

After chocking wheels I unhitch and park truck.
Then run front landing gear UP/DOWN as needed to level front to rear
For front to rear I use a 2' hand held level on bottom edge of bedroom slide out....which is right above the front landing gear extend/retract button

When level F/R I lower front 1"......go run rear stabilizers down tight then raise front back up 1"

Done.......rig level S/S & F/R and solid except for a little bounce form tires/suspension.

Pin Box Jumbo Level & Bracket
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bubble Level next to the landing gear switch. Use a construction level on the floor in 2-3 spots to get the trailer nice and level (have the DW confirm) then put a bubble level on and make sure it shows level when viewed near the switch.

How level you need depends. For most guys, if they don't roll out of bed, it's good enough. If you have a certain other with you, it may be a higher standard.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I place a 3' level on rear bumper for side to side and I have a small bubble level on the side near the switch for front legs for front to back.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Bubble level on my smart phone.
Leveling any RV is a matter of getting the refer level. If thats level, everything else is good enough. Personally I use a bullet or bubble level placed on top of a stove burner. If thats centered Im more than good.