cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Increasingredients air flow for a dometic refrigerator

Joe_Gosselin
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a fan to increase the air flow in a 2014 fleetwood bounder with an 4 door refrigerator. Does mounting a fan in the roof vent help?
10 REPLIES 10

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit and ScottG give good advice above. Modifying the chimney to meet all the manufacturers installation instructions worked well for my 4 door RV fridge.

The specifications for baffles and clearances for the chimney are very clear, but some RV assembly lines don't bother doing it right.

Ed

toolwright
Explorer
Explorer
Justreplace it with a residential ref.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I put 2 boxer fans mounted a the top on mine with a thermostat that turns them on at 120 degrees mounted by the burner. It runs most of the time in the summer makes it at least 10 degrees colder inside the refrig especially on gas. I never had much of a problem on AC.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about internal fans...they really help. They stir the air inside the refer while the door is closed keeping the cooling fins frost free. Which reduces the need for the refer to run so often, which reduces the need for a chimney fan. Fairly easy to install, you can use a simple computer fan and install it yourself, or you can buy them ready made commercially.

Here's how I did mine, Refer Fan Installation.

I'm still considering adding a chimney fan but I just spent a summer with only the inside fan and the Norcold worked great, as it did last summer. Did not see a need for additional cooling even when it was 100F outside every day.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Four door models all require fans, and all come with them installed, so if yours are not running, you just need to fix them, not add new. You can replace the original fans Dometic uses with larger, quieter fans.
-- Chris Bryant

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A battery operated fan in the fresh food section may solve the issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would (and have) perfected the installation before going to a fan. I have found manufacturers don't follow the guidleines that closely and much can be gained from improving the "chimney", checking that the clearances are per spec. and that there is no roof material blocking the top vent.
I have never had a cooling problem even in tripple digit temps on electric after correcting all these installation defects.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES ----adding a fan to improve draft across cooling unit can help.

With a roof vent (vs sidewall vent due to install in slideout)and PROPER Installation by RV MFG a fan should NOT be necessary.
Natural draft airflow S/B sufficient IF----BIG IF---installation clearance requirements were met, baffling was used if needed, cabinet fridge installed in properly sealed/insulated and dead air spaces eliminated.

So YES..fan will help increase air flow....but if clearances, sealing, dead air space still are an issue the fan will NOT help very much

By '4 door Dometic' I assume you mean a RM1350 Model??

If so.....check out pages 33/34 for Installation Requirements and check IF your fridge was installed correctly.
RM1350 Service Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can buy a solar powered roof vent cover with a fan.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the two door and it has worked perfectly for 13 years without a fan.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter