cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3500/2500 srw or drw

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking of upgrading my 845 lance camper to one with a slide. Preferably a 971 or similar dry bath camper. How stable are the srw trucks with the additional weight?
30 REPLIES 30

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
You have already gotten some good advice. My 2cents coming from driving an SRW with a heavy camper is know your limits and drive safe and outfit your truck with the best tires and upgrades for carrying the weight. For me I only drive up to an hour away from my house on flat roads and I do a lot of 4x4 driving with the camper on so a DRW did not make sense for me.

I keep a very strict eye on my transmission temps, that or a blown tire is my worst fears. Brakes have stopped me good so far, however I have not had to slam on them yet as I drive slow and watch traffic like a hawk.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
"That is why heavier diesel will have lower cargo rating as nobody wants to pay registration for what the truck can actually handle."

I always assumed it has less payload because the diesel is so much heavier.
GVW-actual weight=payload
Not every state has expensive registration costs.

Don't ask me what is the deal, but seem no manufacturer wants to list a pickup over 15,000 lb GVW.
Even when added axles capacity will shoot at 22,000lb.
The engine weight goes on front axle and diesels have it stronger, while cargo goes on the rear.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some good advice here. I'm of similar opinion of burningman and Vinsil.
Have put plenty of miles on my shortbed 3/4 ton truck with the AF camper that is by all accounts over 4klbs loaded.
Of course a dually would be more stable and ideal for a heavy camper, but with some select mods I'm comfortable driving it nearly anywhere I'd drive empty, save for steep slopes off road.

Part of it boils down to, one either understands how a vehicle reacts under various conditions and can handle it and is comfortable with those conditions, or isn't.
Given the choice I'd go 3500 because who doesn't like more springs for the same price....

If I'm ever able to plop a camper on the truck for extended periods of time and that is the truck's primary use it'll be a dually if it's a big camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had my same TC, a Double Slide Host 9 1/2 for just over 11 years. For 8 1/2 years, I had a '06 F350 SRW Super Cab. After about 6 months I added 19.5s to have room for error for the tires. It was my daily driver and a DRW just wouldn't have fit.

Funny enough, even the F350 SRW Super Cab was too long when I changed jobs. So, it wasn't my daily driver anymore, and I traded for a F450 DRW.

No question that the SRW was much easier to park and actually would go about anywhere I wanted. The F450 turns much tighter, but it's longer and wider.

Of course, the F450 is a better TC hauler and I no longer worry how much extra stuff I carry. Because it is a F450, it also turns much better and the brakes are awesome. It also has 19.5s. The ride is smoother, but maybe that is the Bilstein 4600 vs the Rancho 9000s I had on the SRW.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another SRW if situations required that I change again.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Why the hesitation to get dually? The fuel usage on them is just slightly higher than SRW , good tires last 100,000 miles, they park on normal parking spots (unless you get Crew Cab) and this way you save time by not posting endless questions on the forum.

Nothing like a snarky comment....:R

I'd have a dually but.. I use the drive through at the bank once in a while and my wife uses the truck once in a while and it won't fit in my garage with the camper in the garage too. Guess I an't getting one....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
HioSSilver wrote:
Thanks for all the comments guys. Still unsure.....I'm kinda in the same boat as vinsil. Not really interested in driving a dually all the time. But i would like a 9xx truck camper with a slide and a dry bath. I don't get to go alot. If i were full timing in it i would do a dually for sure. But i don't want it to be unsafe or put myself in a bad situation.

I'm buying a artic fox 992.

Just address your tires, add suspension help and enjoy. I carried my Wolf Creek on a short bed 2500 Megacab. Made it work with stableloads, bags and 19.5's.

I'll most likely do similar mods to make my new Ford carry the bigger camper, but this truck is MUCH more capable than my last which was a 2007. They have come a long ways. Then again I'm not the weight police and feel everyone without a 5 series truck is gonna die. Be smart about it, you'll be fine.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments guys. Still unsure.....I'm kinda in the same boat as vinsil. Not really interested in driving a dually all the time. But i would like a 9xx truck camper with a slide and a dry bath. I don't get to go alot. If i were full timing in it i would do a dually for sure. But i don't want it to be unsafe or put myself in a bad situation.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
we just switched from a 2016 Gmc crewcab, long bed ,drw to a 2017 Chev double cab ,long bed,drw the 10 inch shorter frame makes a large improvement in around town maneuverability (turning radius) and the truck handles the BF 3000 (aprox 5000 LBS loaded) like a dream !!!
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
woops, missed the word 'not' which completely changed my comment. I do wish I would have considered the 450 for the wide track. I actually wish it was still an option on the 350.

Sometimes it seems I go out of my way to word things awkwardly.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I just moved from a SRW to a dually. Not sure how but when loaded my SRW was almost at tire capacity and almost 1000lbs over GVW. This was with a 9' camper. I camp a lot in BC and they can scale you, they go by GVW... but I believe it is a very rare occurrance.

I like not even having to think about it with the Dually. I really had no adjustment period getting used to the width but the length is a different story. I am actually sort of regretting going to a 450 with the wide track axle and much tighter turning radius.

Why so? It sure seems everyone loves the wide track and tighter turning radius. Just curious.

As a side note, my new Ford turns tighter than the 07' Ram it replaced so I'm not sad about my turning radius.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I just moved from a SRW to a dually. Not sure how but when loaded my SRW was almost at tire capacity and almost 1000lbs over GVW. This was with a 9' camper. I camp a lot in BC and they can scale you, they go by GVW... but I believe it is a very rare occurrance.

I like not even having to think about it with the Dually. I really had no adjustment period getting used to the width but the length is a different story. I am actually sort of regretting not going to a 450 with the wide track axle and much tighter turning radius.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
I went srw again knowing what it will take to carry my new camper. I'm comfortable with it as I just don't want a dually to drive everyday. If my truck was just mainly a hauler and not much of a daily driver I'd have a dually. They just suck to drive everywhere and I do a lot of off grid camping so the srw works best for me.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
"That is why heavier diesel will have lower cargo rating as nobody wants to pay registration for what the truck can actually handle."

I always assumed it has less payload because the diesel is so much heavier.
GVW-actual weight=payload
Not every state has expensive registration costs.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Ram to replace a "over payload" F350. No intention of getting a TC. A year later, I have a TC. I'm under all capacities, barely. No doubt a dually would be better.
I don't know what the cost difference is in Texas regarding capacities. Can't be much, I've never heard anyone mention it. I didn't give it thought when buying my last 3 trucks. I don't even know what my registration costs. $70 or $140. No idea, not enough to worry about.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive