cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tank flush wand

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy something to clean my black tank. I've found Valterra and a Camco flexible wands. In looking at the video the Valterra doesn't look as though it puts out as much pressure as the Camco. I think the Camco spins a thingee on the bottom in a circle and has 2 sprays (one each direction) on the swivel. The Valterra has 8 holes and sprays 8 different directions. I want the one that gives the best pressure to clean the crud from the tank walls. I've also looked and neither one gets great reviews. People say they break in short order. I also read that the Camco will not fit down some toilets but I think it would in my Windsor. Does anyone have experience with these things and what do you think or recommend?

Maybe I should just use Dawn and the tank built in tank flush
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
13 REPLIES 13

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
It is easy to make a wand out of pvc. If you need it to be flexible then use Pex tubing. Just get a garden hose to PVC/Pex adapter or stretch a 5/8th hose over a 1/2 inch pvc/pex and clamp it. Put a cap on the end and drill some small holes in the end. It will swivel easily to get all the way around the tank.

If you DIY then you know the quality used 😉
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best and simplest thing you can do is, fill the black tank half full, drive around while and then drain and flush

X2.....this ^^^^^^^^^^^
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I normally dump tanks as soon as we get home, or as soon as we get hooked up at camp. when the tanks have been agitated well during the drive.

Never had any problems getting all the yuck out. and we do have a flush built into the tanks, and I use it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer

I purchased the Valterra A01-0187VP Flexible Tank Wand 16,00. I didn't care for the one that spun. Overdose your black tank with 10 gallon of water loaded with Dawn the night before you use the wand. I slowly insert mine and spin it slowly all the way down the commode, and do the same coming out. All of this with the dump valve open. I repeat this several times and I can see down it my plumbing to the bottom of the tank with a mirror and it is always spotless. Don't be in a hurry spinning it or going in or out.
Dennis Hoppert

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
OK, ice cubes, driving with tank filled, or partly filled will not work. Unless you can do a 360 spin with your MH, you will not get enough motion to do any cleaning. What does work, short of a tank cleaning service, is the GEO Method, but it will strip the lube off the drain valves, but it does clean the inside of the tank fairly well, and the level sensors will work. This is what has worked for myself and others.
Wildmanbaker

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The flexible style wand is for tanks that don't have a straight drop from the toilet to the tank (bad manufacturer design in my opinion)

If you have a straight drop from toilet to the tank, don't get the flexible wand.

Best pressure is determined by the water pressure from the source. If you have low water pressure, you will have low spray pressure.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just install a spray port on the end of the tank, but you already have one??
why mess with a wand then.
bumpy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the wand idea for the reasons mentioned. We use our built-in flushing system BUT I saw a test that showed that something like a Flush King works better than the built-in; including ice cubes. BTW when flushing close the valve for 30 seconds then open. Repeat until no more paper or chunks come out. It helps to have a clear connector on the outlet.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a week or so another alternative is to use a bottle of septic tank cleaner (available at any big box)- fill the tank with water and let the cleaner do it's job.
Kevin

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
I need to buy something to clean my black tank. I've found Valterra and a Camco flexible wands. In looking at the video the Valterra doesn't look as though it puts out as much pressure as the Camco. I think the Camco spins a thingee on the bottom in a circle and has 2 sprays (one each direction) on the swivel. The Valterra has 8 holes and sprays 8 different directions. I want the one that gives the best pressure to clean the crud from the tank walls. I've also looked and neither one gets great reviews. People say they break in short order. I also read that the Camco will not fit down some toilets but I think it would in my Windsor. Does anyone have experience with these things and what do you think or recommend?

Maybe I should just use Dawn and the tank built in tank flush

The best and simplest thing you can do is, fill the black tank half full, drive around while and then drain and flush
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Valterra. Logic was I didn't want that spinning end to come off in the tank and possible lodge in the gate valve.

I have a clear fitting and when I use the Valterra more stuff does come out. Sensors still don't work most the time.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you just use the built in one you have. If it's plugged, an issue Monaco had with theirs, it's easy to fix, about 20 minutes!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used both and wasn't happy with the results and the pain of dragging a hose thru RV and the mess that it made,so I installed a tank wash and used the Geo Method with much better results,clean tank and all the sensors work as they should.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C