cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

120 volt electrical issue

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I discovered a line voltage short to the trailer chassis / body.

When connected to shore power, I measure 120v touching the test meter probe to the checker plate aluminum on the front drop of the trailer with the negative probe stuck in the damp soil beside the trailer.

When disconnected from shore power and generator is running no stray volatge is detected at the same location.
18 REPLIES 18

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
I don't see how you check a 15 amp plug in with one of those ?
15/20/30 amp are all the same electrically, just able to provide different currents. 15 to 30 "dogbone", and a 30 amp protector won't know the difference and will work just fine.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:
I was thinking the same thing as sig and drew.

Something don't add up here in my foggy cranial area. :h

The polarity was corrected in the receptacle. The stray voltage is no longer present.

Nothing has been altered in the rv wiring during my ownership. Is there something that become an issue by itself that needs to be checked?

Thanks

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
If the OP really wants to learn from this experience he'd invest ASAP in a Progressive Industries EMS w/Surge Protection, portable or hardwire, that will constantly monitor incoming source power, refuse to pass faulty power on to his trailer whenever any such error may occur, AND tell him the reason why it won't do so. :B

OR like many he could ignore this advice, potentially risk his life AND his trailer's electrical system, and hope he never runs into any situation ever again where the power source being supplied isn't what it should be ... yeah, what are the chances?! :R

noteven wrote:
?

It's unclear as to what your "?" means but surely as a forum member since 2011 you'd have to be well aware of the Progressive Industries series of EMS units that will easily prevent situations such as you've described, protect you at the very least from a nasty shock, and could under some circumstances, potentially save your life. No? :@

I don't see how you check a 15 amp plug in with one of those ?

On edit - I am taking your sarcastic advice and reseaching these devices. Do they come with a fire extinguisher? Clicky

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the same thing as sig and drew.

Something don't add up here in my foggy cranial area. :h

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
If the OP really wants to learn from this experience he'd invest ASAP in a Progressive Industries EMS w/Surge Protection, portable or hardwire, that will constantly monitor incoming source power, refuse to pass faulty power on to his trailer whenever any such error may occur, AND tell him the reason why it won't do so. :B

OR like many he could ignore this advice, potentially risk his life AND his trailer's electrical system, and hope he never runs into any situation ever again where the power source being supplied isn't what it should be ... yeah, what are the chances?! :R

noteven wrote:
?

It's unclear as to what your "?" means but surely as a forum member since 2011 you'd have to be well aware of the Progressive Industries series of EMS units that will easily prevent situations such as you've described, protect you at the very least from a nasty shock, and could under some circumstances, potentially save your life. No? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Even with reversed polarity, you should not have 120V on the RV chassis unless the ground wire from the receptacle was also reversed and wired to the hot (at, say, the main electric panel). Having that sort of stray voltage indicates at the very least poor grounding, and quite possibly also a neutral to ground fault in the RV. I would guess that if you plugged the RV into a GFCI protected receptacle the GFCI would pop due to a ground fault.

Good point. Since the power converter should be wired as a sub-panel with isolated ground, this should not happen.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Even with reversed polarity, you should not have 120V on the RV chassis unless the ground wire from the receptacle was also reversed and wired to the hot (at, say, the main electric panel). Having that sort of stray voltage indicates at the very least poor grounding, and quite possibly also a neutral to ground fault in the RV. I would guess that if you plugged the RV into a GFCI protected receptacle the GFCI would pop due to a ground fault.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as outlet is wired wrong consider yourself lucky that it was not 240v like so many posts.
Not too soon to get the PI EMS.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
noteven wrote:
Issue resolved - power supply recepticle the trailer was plugged in to had reversed polarity. Fixed.

beemerphile1 wrote:
Learn from this, your life depends on it; never connect to any pedestal without first checking the polarity and voltage.

Yep, I agree. I have a PI HW30C and the one time it denied power was at a friends house, where I plugged in to keep the fridge running. Hot/Neutral were reversed in an outside receptacle on the house.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
noteven wrote:
Issue resolved - power supply recepticle the trailer was plugged in to had reversed polarity. Fixed.

beemerphile1 wrote:
Learn from this, your life depends on it; never connect to any pedestal without first checking the polarity and voltage.

?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Neither on board generator or a portable supplying power to the shore power connection have the same issue.

Indications are the polarity of the shore recepticle the trailer was connected to is reversed. Electrician being consulted.

Glad to hear it.. In reading the first I assumed you had that issue when using a Generator not shore power.

Generators ... At least portable ones, Not grounded so polarity not an issue,

But you do often have 60 volts showing on the ground wire. (no current but 60 volts. put a load on it and it hits zero and fast)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Neither on board generator or a portable supplying power to the shore power connection have the same issue.

Indications are the polarity of the shore recepticle the trailer was connected to is reversed. Electrician being consulted.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III