cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel grease escaping?

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
One wheel (of four) on our Fleetwood Prowler is showing some signs of escaping grease. I opened the grease cap, though and there is obviously lots of grease in there still. The cap was tight. I had to pry it off with a hammer and screwdriver. Is there something else going on here?
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:
I'd suspect a problem with a bad seal, too much grease, bad and overheating brake or overheating bearing. Drive it and check all four wheel hubs with a temp gun, looking for a higher reading from the suspect wheel. Or, just tear it down looking for the problem.

The seal you're thinking about is on the back. Front either has a solid cap, bearing buddy or cap with rubber plug if there's a grease fitting on the spindle.
What the OP showed is typically not a concern. Little grease outside the cap or a little separated grease juice gets out sometimes and does that. If there's any real build up splattered then it may be leaking.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
I repacked the bearings last year about this time. It's gone only 2000 miles since that. I haven't checked the temperatures but I will later next month when we go down to San Diego.

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what kind of axles it has.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lippert Axles?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suspect a problem with a bad seal, too much grease, bad and overheating brake or overheating bearing. Drive it and check all four wheel hubs with a temp gun, looking for a higher reading from the suspect wheel. Or, just tear it down looking for the problem.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Flatfive wrote:
Here's a pic of the wheel.

Grease can separate a little over time, creating a bit of oil, that can leak through the dust cover under that hub cap. The oil gets on the outer hub, and is thrown onto the wheel at higher speed. While tight, the dust cover is not a seal. Those plastic hub caps hold heat, causing the grease to heat more too, especially if you are using the Easy-Lube system, where the hub is full of grease.

I'd just clean the wheel, check the hub temp next time out, with temp gun, comparing to other hubs. If that hub is running much warmer than others, it should be disassembled and checked. If I am traveling a longer distance, I leave those plastic hub caps off, so I can check lug nut torque, and check hub temps.

Jerry

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Flatfive wrote:
One wheel (of four) on our Fleetwood Prowler is showing some signs of escaping grease. I opened the grease cap, though and there is obviously lots of grease in there still. The cap was tight. I had to pry it off with a hammer and screwdriver. Is there something else going on here?

Take the trailer in to have all 4 wheels inspected, bearings ,axels, brakes and reps led with new seals. There should not be any grease showing outside or inside.

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pic of the wheel.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't see a lot of grease by popping the grease cap off. And, they're not supposed to be sealed. Chuck is right, you probably have too much grease.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
to much grease.....

but the cap is not sealed by design..
if sealed .. if/when grease gets hot, it will blow past seal in rear and cover brakes.

if a small about... just wash it off.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Need to check the rear area of the drum, if any sign of grease back there the grease seal is most likely leaking and could have gotten on the brake shoes or magnet.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you may want to check if the bearing on that wheel is heating up. After driving for 15-20 mins compare the warmth of that hub to the rest of them.
Could be the indication of a problem bearing.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It may fit tight but not have an even seal all the way around. You can clean it up good and put a tiny bead of silicone sealer around the edge that meets the hub. Some mechanics do that every time.
As long as it's not streaming from the backing plate there's no cause for concern.

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
I took a photo but can't see how to post it. (I know there used to be photos here). There are dark gray streaks coming from the hub out from under the hub cap. When I remove the hub cap I can see the grease cap is tight.