cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dupuytren's contracture

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Well, yesterday I had the surgery to fix my ring finger.

Dupuytren's Contracture

Dupuytren's contracture has no cure, only a surgical fix,

I noticed mine coming on for about a year, and when my ring started to hurt my finger, I used soap and water to remove the ring and move it to the other hand.

Saw an Orthopedic Surgeon and got it done.

Guess I won't have my hands on a steering wheel or handlebar for some time.

If you notice any finger starting to curl up and you can't make it straight, better check into it.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
5 REPLIES 5

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I had Dupuytren's Contracture on both hands. Since I only wanted surgery on one hand at a time I had the right done first. Below is a picture of the finished surgery.

When I went back for my left hand the orthopedic surgeon informed me that the FDA had approved a new procedure that did not involve surgery.I opted for the new procedure and not only was it 100 times easier than surgery but actually turned out better.Below is a description of the procedure from Mayo Clinic website.

Enzyme injections
Injecting a type of enzyme into the taut cord in your palm can soften and weaken it โ€” allowing your doctor to later manipulate your hand in an attempt to break the cord and straighten your fingers. The FDA has approved collagenase Clostridium histolyticum (Xiaflex) for this purpose. The advantages and disadvantages of the enzyme injection are similar to needling.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Both bicycles and motorcycles
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
According to the literature from the surgeon, it is believed to be hereditary, affecting mostly those of North European descent. Also it can affect other body parts than just fingers.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Handlebar? As in bicyclist? If so...me too! I wish you a speedy recovery.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I've had operations in both hands over the course of 20 years. My parents had the problem. It is not supposed to be hereditary but ours certainly was. Once healed do pushups to keep the tendons stretched.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)