cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pedestal Wiring Fail !!

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I have had issues with my A/C, batteries, and other miscellaneous electrical items. The previous owner told me he was running 2 power inputs. One 30 amp, and one 50 amp. He had a window A/C, and a portable unit. He didn't repair the rooftop A/C. The trailer was basically what I was looking for, and I told him "No Sale" without the rooftop unit working correctly. He put a new one up there and provided the paperwork. I never re-installed the window unit, as I have the portable, and the rooftop unit working. I soon discovered when it was 110ยฐ + outside, and both units running, the main 30 amp circuit breaker would pop. So I had to run an extension cord to a receptacle on the garage. This worked fine, but I still felt something was not right. Too much voltage drop inside the trailer with the A/C running. 120.3V without, and 111V with. Then the 20 amp breaker for the extension cord popped. Oh no, not good. I determined there was an issue with the garage wiring. All that is on that particular breaker is 4 gang receptacles and 3 fluorescent lights. Lights are rarely used, and a small refrigerator is plugged in, as well as my portable A/C. I disconnected everything to verify if these devices were or were not an issue.
So, in the course of finding the cause of the popping breaker, I discovered the RV receptacle was wired into one of the sub panel breakers, just not the one popping.
Now after all the previous background story, I found that the person who did this wiring, installed an 86 foot run of 14 AWG wire, with several junctions. At the sub panel is a 50 amp RV receptacle that is now being used for a compressor. That double pole breaker, and the 30 amp breaker for the RV receptacle are the wrong ones. They do not fit the panel. The clip that is on the buss barely clips on. The metal cover over the breakers won't fit because of this.

Note the 3 breakers on the right, just above the word "ON/I".
14 REPLIES 14

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
Pedestal upgrade is completed. I will have to take a few pics, not that there is much to show. I removed a WAGO type connector from the sub panel, and moved the circuit to a closer breaker. Yet other wires to an unused device are excessively long. Go figure. I added a motion sensor light to the now unused RV pedestal circuit. I need to walk out there and see if it works. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
The new breakers installed. And this guy had to come over and put in his $.02 worth.

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I hope you got 6/2 with ground!

Yes I did.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I hope you got 6/2 with ground!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Fuster Cl...

At least you caught it before someone got hurt. How would you upgrade that long length of 14 AWG?

I picked up a 125' roll of 6/2 Romex, a new RV 30 amp box w/breaker built in, and some conduit, along with misc materials to do the job. I also got the correct breakers for the sub panel. I am going to appropriate the old RV receptacle and put a motion sensor light in it's place. I will move that wire over to a 20 amp breaker, and just devote the 30 amp for the RV. I also got the materials to relocate the gang box where the short was found.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good find. Check and correct the entire house.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Fuster Cl...

At least you caught it before someone got hurt. How would you upgrade that long length of 14 AWG?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Down here in the South, we have a word for this type of mess... Nothing about trees either.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I found causing the breaker popping. There is another gang receptacle on the opposite side of the wall. Self tapping screws attaching the 2 boxes, and a ragged hole to pass the wires through. I am going to relocate the outside box up by a foot or so. The guy that did this wiring left something to be desired.
The wiring for the 30 amp RV receptacle is AWG 14 gauge with a run of 86 feet.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just get the correct Square D Homeline breakers.
Now the question is what other stuff did the PO mess up?? Is the wire size correct??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Breakers on the left are Square D. the three on right appear to be Eaton.

Yes. The Eaton breakers are the wrong ones. The box is Square D, and requires HOM or HOMD breakers. I will be picking up new ones tomorrow when I go to get the needed materials to fix this mess up.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ah jeez, if it doesn't fit just force it eh?
Nice trouble-shooting!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Breakers on the left are Square D. the three on right appear to be Eaton.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I did a material take-off to go get the stuff to fix this mess.