Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Easier access to cabover bed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Easier access to cabover bed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out on the road 'proof of concept' leaving a bit to be desired. The step,in use awesome but setting up the latches seems to have 'swelled', takes a bit of fiddling to engage? Something to do when we get home-course then they worked when there. Maybe a regional thing, worked great at sea level [emoticon]

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

Out on the road 'proof of concept' leaving a bit to be desired. The step,in use awesome but setting up the latches seems to have 'swelled', takes a bit of fiddling to engage? Something to do when we get home-course then they worked when there. Maybe a regional thing, worked great at sea level [emoticon]

Aren't the latches adjustable for cam over tension?

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mi.drew

Greenbush, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job. I haven't seen a camper yet that couldn't use something like that.

2008 Silverado 4x4 DIY stable loads
1994 SunLite 850 WT
2000 Kolb Firestar II

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Yes, which I've had to readjust. Mainly its the front latch, handle hits converter wont swing down enough so that latch hoop goes into catch. Both hoop of latches and bottom of step leg trying to fit between the catch and wood block at same time.
[image]
Just need to move both the catches and wood block away from converter and increase the space between them and each other. Details
Part of the issue is one end of step is attached to slide the other to fixed floor- on the truck/ground twist or in the drive stuff never quite the same. Probably tonight when we stop it'll likey be the back hoop that hitting. Dime against a dollar when we get home -offload on the cement it'll all work like set up...

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice carpentry.
Would you figure it out for small access as well, I would be all for it.
I see you camper had factory small step on the side. I had that on Fleetwood and it was all we needed.
Our present Lance doesn't have it and we use plastic stool for now.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like it! Too bad they don't make something like the Arctic Fox step/seat with adjustable anchor straps to use in other campers other than Arctic Fox.

Ford F-350 Dually /Lance 9.6/Happi Jacks all around.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a nice job.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

tattoobob

Billerica, Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

Yes, which I've had to readjust. Mainly its the front latch, handle hits converter wont swing down enough so that latch hoop goes into catch. Both hoop of latches and bottom of step leg trying to fit between the catch and wood block at same time.
[image]
Just need to move both the catches and wood block away from converter and increase the space between them and each other. Details
Part of the issue is one end of step is attached to slide the other to fixed floor- on the truck/ground twist or in the drive stuff never quite the same. Probably tonight when we stop it'll likey be the back hoop that hitting. Dime against a dollar when we get home -offload on the cement it'll all work like set up...

Great step Mod.
Could you move the wood block to the left side and the latches to the right under the step? that may work better and you won't have to wedge your hand in between the converter and the step support (Just a thought)

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought:

Could you add a folding table leg brace to the leg and a second 1x2 to the base to form a slot for the leg to fit into? Would that be enough stability without the clamps?

Nice job.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

user113

Vienna, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to me that one latch would be more than sufficient.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Easier access to cabover bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS