cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2000 Tioga 29Z Ford E450

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a Class C. This will be a second MH for us and only used for trips within Mexico. Don't really want to spend a lot. I came across a 2000 29Z Tioga. I am familiar with that floor plan. Have never owned a C nor a Ford powered MH. Is the V10 in a 2000 a decent power plant? Any problems with the engine or trans in that year. I have seen posts referring to a cheap handling fix. Is there anything that helps the handling of Ford Class C's? I have always considered Fleetwood products to give a good bang for he buck. Better than some of the others. Obviously not high end but built OK. Hope to see it later this week and would appreciate any help.

Moisheh
11 REPLIES 11

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
...I passed on this one... Moisheh

CORRECT!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I said I would post after the inspection so here it is: The owners live in the country on 75 acres that they rent out. I have never seen so much junk in the yard: old bicycles, pieces of farm machinery, out board motor parts, old oil furnaces, parts for lawnmowers, empty 5 gallon buckets, toys and more. Real hoarders. I wish I would have videod the trip! The MH has seen better days. Tires were old and cracked. Step was cracked. Cab paint was faded so much I don't know if it would buff out. Striping was spider cracked and instead of dark blue it was barely blue. Plastic trim for the rear cap was broken in 3 laces. No rear ladder. Crank out windows would not open.Shower was horrible. Filthy and the bottom trim was half missing. Carpeted ceiling was full of red marks. Must be where they killed mosquitoes. I could not see any signs of roof leaks. It started up right away and sounded healthy. I saw the invoice for the Ford Reman motor. Parts were around $5500. Apparently someone else was using the unit and coolant got into the oil. They kept driving. I suspect it was being used as a rental. It might have been a rental from day one. The upholstery was really in good shape. Some owners who rent multiple units take out the factory upholstery and use vinyl cushions. Then when it is sold the OEM stuff is reinstalled. Tiogas come in various trim evels. This one had no TV. No power windows or locks. No wood cup holder nor fake wood on the dash. It really smelt bad inside. Could be mold or maybe mice! I stopped looking at this point. Could I spend some $$ and make it nice. Probably but I really wasn't looking for a big project. I was thinking of offering $5000. It has been for sale for at least 2 years. Started at $20,000. Was now $16,500 but will look at offers. I figured the inside could be detailed for about $600. Ceiling could be cleaned and dyed. Maybe another $300. I could fix the shower. Maybe $100 for parts. Step another $150.00 I can have it painted in Mexico for about $5000. Add in another $2000 for tires and maybe $2000 for misc. So for well under $20,000 it could be like new. Of course I was not allowing for any brake and suspension repairs and I do not know If the tranny is ok. I passed on this one. Will keep my eyes open for something nicer. Maybe a Born Free, Bigfoot or Lazy Daze.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this will be an interesting inspection. We are going to examine this "baby" later today. I will report my findings.

Moisheh

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
gadzooks how do you blow up a Ford V-10????
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Say it IS a new engine. And very low miles on it, including properly installed plugs. Change interval is at least 50,000 miles. How long would it take you to run that many miles?

I've driven the 275 HP engines. Power was OK, and maybe it's just me but I think they get a little better gas mileage than the 305's. Even if it IS a 1999 chassis, this coach could very well be OK. Just make sure the house hasn't gotten to leaking. It'll probably need a major brake job and tires.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to check it out this week. It is a strange sale. Couple bought the MH 3 years ago. Left town and the motor blew while in Indiana. Had a new motor installed at a cost of $8000. Returned to their home and it has not moved since. I asked if hey had all the receipts and she said yes. Normally I would not bother after hearing the story. But she is older and sounded convincing. Maybe even a little slow. I am not easily fooled so will at least look. I am NOT bringing my wallet!!!

Moisheh

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I was assuming the RV was 2000 so would be built on the 1999 chassis.

Copy That, Boss! You doing OK?

There are years that the Chassis-to-Coach model years don't matter. For example, I doubt it much matters that our chassis is 2002 Ford under a 2003 coach. But we had a 1983 Ford under a 1984 coach. Had chassis actually been 1984, I would have been able to replace wheels with late model 16" wheels. But in 1983, the 16.5" wheels were "coined" and hard to replace.

I remember a Winnebago site saying the production date when chassis year would match the coach model year. Others might, or might if asked, but Winne was the only one I remember.

So hopefully Moisheh will get back with us and we'll learn it's a 2000 chassis and a somewhat easier choice.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi j-d,

I was assuming the RV was 2000 so would be built on the 1999 chassis.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Tioga E-450 has had no engine/drive train problems. Have cooling and brake system serviced as needed including change of front flex brake lines and brake fluid flush/change. Check generator, roof and dash AC, house batteries and converter charger, fresh water pump, dump valves, fridge, water heater, awning fabric, etc., etc. Replace tires if over 5 years old and with sidewall cracking. Buying used can turn out expensive.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
That year would be one that can spit out spark plugs.

The model year of the Ford Chassis makes a big difference on Plugs. 1997-1999 was the worst. Then some of the 2000-2003 (maybe 2004, I forget that model year range but it started in 2000) had a different version of the Plug Issue.

So if Chassis is 2000, it's a better engine. The heads will be branded "PI" for Performance Improved. 1997-1999 were 275 HP. 2000 and newer are 305 HP.

They're all pretty good. Much of the problems seemed to trace to improper plug replacement procedure. We went through this when considering buying our 2002 E450/V10 and decided it was a safe bet. If chassis was 1999, not sure I would have.

Don't confuse E-Series plug problems in their Two-Valve engines, with F-Series Three-Valve engines starting around 2004. Whole different thing.

If you get a Ford Chassis, don't dink with the handling till you weigh it, adjust tire pressure to weight, then maybe align the front end with at least 5-degrees positive caster. Might all be just fine.

Then YES, steering can be improved relatively inexpensively, especially if you can install parts yourself.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi moisheh,

That year would be one that can spit out spark plugs.
Regards, Don