cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator question

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to get my motorhome ready in case I need it here in northeast Georgia. Was going to fire up the genset but have a nearly dead house battery. Without thinking too much about it I started the mh engine and let it run for a few minutes. I then cranked the genset with the mh motor running. It started and ran ok. My question is could I have done any harm to the alternator or electrical system by doing this. Can't think of a problem but would like to know your thoughts.
12 REPLIES 12

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
This capability is one of the coolest things about campers in my opinion. I have done this many times with no issue. Also just pushed the momentary aux button while a helper pushed the gen. start button with the engine off, to see if it works ok that way. Both good work arounds to get the gennie going. As long as everything works, all you need is gas.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Your batteries may now have such a charge that you better stand in front of your toaster when you use it. it may jump off the counter. Just kidding you will be fine.
Dennis Hoppert

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Weak house battery: Check electrolyte level and cleanliness of cable connections. Check voltage at battery terminals with shore cable connected to 110vac or with RV generator running. Should read over 13volts if converter charger is working and aux battery switch is "on". Voltage should be over 14 volts with engine running generator off and disconnected from shore power. House battery(s) may be old, need replacing.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
No, you wont hurt anything.

The odds are really good that this is true.

There is a tiny chance that the house battery is effectively shorted......and THAT might cause a problem. That usually would only happen if it had been sitting neglected for a LONG time.

Since you already did it and nothing smoked, then you are fine.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Some motorhomes have an auxiliary switch in the driver's cabin. When your house batteries are dead, you press the switch and it ties the house and engine batteries, and allows you to start the generator without having to start the engine. If yours does not have the auxiliary switch, you can start the engine, but it will slowly charge the house batteries. Not all motorhomes allow the engine to charge the house batteries unless they are equipped with a BIRD device. This device will also allow the generator to charge both house and engine batteries.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itasca Spirit user manual from Winnebago actually suggests starting the engine before trying to start the generator or move the slideouts.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quite normal to run the generator all day while driving in the heat in order to run the air conditioning.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Starting the engine puts both house/chassis on-line which helps insure that the generator has sufficient current to start.
Kevin

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses. I feel better now at least until the storm comes calling. Really feel for the folks in Florida.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, you wont hurt anything.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
No problem.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the same thing several times over the past few years with our 96 Southwind. The house batteries get low, I start the engine and then the generator.
I never had any problems with the alternator or electrical system.