cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New route to Arizona?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
After a year off snowbirding last winter (went to New Zealand instead) we're booked back into Mesa, AZ for 3 months. I'm bored with the way we usually go so I'm looking for something different. Mid-November departure.

Thanking of going down I81 to Knoxville then I75 / I59 down to I20 and across to Dallas.

I'm familiar with the northern part of I81 down to Winchester VA but not with the rest of it to Dallas.

Any comments especially about the mountains?
14 REPLIES 14

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
When we went to Nashville for the eclipse the detour around I75 took us to I96 off the bridge then 275 back onto I75 to Toledo.

Coming back we took 475 to avoid Toledo to US 23 then onto I94 to I96 then the bridge.

Not sure one is better than the other. There is still a lot of chucking concrete in either direction.

JMichael
Explorer
Explorer
WE get on US 54 off I70 west of St Louis to Tucumcari NM. Great highway off the interstate,

JMichael
Newmar KADP 4084

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We take most of your proposed route except we go in Jan so I stay on 59 till I get to 10. Your route may be better this year with the flooding in Houston, we were taking 105 in Beaumont to get around Houston. Will have to check on campgrounds, some were closed last year from floods, got to be a lot worse this year.

FWIW, there were no trouble spots on the I-81 route last winter. Well, maybe the Harrisburg PA, quite a bit of traffic.

We've also taken 90 in San Antonio to Van Horn just to get off the highway for a while.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Dallas traffic is horrible. So is Houston - you may want to avoid both of them.

I-20 is very easy (though slow at rush hour) to go south of Dallas. If coming from the east, get on I-20 out of Shreveport, and take it clear across the bottom of the Metroplex (don't stay in the right hand lane, get over at least 1 lane to the left - we always try to stay in the middle lanes) until you are past Fort Worth.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I should have given more information.

We live in eastern Ontario not far from the northern end of I81. We have a 42' 5th wheel toy hauler so we're long and slow. We like to travel say 6 hours a day for 3 days then stop somewhere interesting for a couple of nights. We stay away from "twisties" (until we're on our motorcycles) because twisties make our cats barf.

The route to AZ we normally take is 401 to Detroit, Nashville, Memphis, Texarkana then I20 & I10 to AZ.

Sounds like you take the same route as we do. If you take the route crossing at the Ambassador bridge, be aware that I-75 is closed going south (I'm told for 2 years), there is a well marked detour that takes you across to 475, you re-join 75 north of Monroe, from memory it's highway 60 something, a local who posts here can probably give you the exact number.

You probably have stopped at these places but if you haven't they are nice stops, Natchez Trace state park south east of Jackson Tn and Village Creek state park near Wynne Arkansas, both are full service 50 amp parks about 15 or 20 miles off the interstates but they are the best SPs that we've stayed at. Both suit our 39 ft. 5er, you won't have a problem getting in either.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I should have given more information.

We live in eastern Ontario not far from the northern end of I81. We have a 42' 5th wheel toy hauler so we're long and slow. We like to travel say 6 hours a day for 3 days then stop somewhere interesting for a couple of nights. We stay away from "twisties" (until we're on our motorcycles) because twisties make our cats barf.

The route to AZ we normally take is 401 to Detroit, Nashville, Memphis, Texarkana then I20 & I10 to AZ.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:

We transit DFW twice each winter, while the traffic isn't great, it's better than some other places (LA or Toronto for example). We pick a time mid morning or noon time on a weekday, the road construction seems to have slacked off a bit in recent years.

We take a more westerly route from Detroit, we take I-65 then down to Nashville-Memphis and then down to Texarkana and through Texas

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
X2

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
AH GAN.
Depending on the weather I would do I81 to Binghamton, I 86 to I90 in PA. This avoids the tolls on the Thruway. I90 to I271 to I71 to avoid Cleveland. I71 to Louisville, KY. When you get to Louisville you should be above freezing temps 24/7 average. Then get on I65 south. At Elizabeth, KY you have to choose. The Western Kentucky Parkway to Memphis or I 65S to Nashville.
I prefer Nashville so I usually go that way. Do what you want in Nashville then get on the Natchez trace to Natchez, MS. Free CG's on the route which is open to cars and RV's but no commercial vehicles. No hookups but quiet. In Natchez you can dump and fill at the tourist information center. There is also a nice CG across the river that overlooks the Mississippi.

From there head to Alexandria, LA and then to I10 but I usually head to the gulf and follow LA 82 to TX 89 to Galveston VIA 2 ferries. Then I follow the coast to Surfside Beach, TX. Spend a night or 2 at the Galveston Island State Park. Water and Electric with Dump station
I eventually wind up on I10 to Lordsburg, NM and get on US 70 to Globe then US 60 to Phoenix, AZ
I do lots of side trips on the way but this is my direct route.
gone to FREDERICKSBURG, TX for the German Food, Stopped in San Antonio,
If I go to Memphis I get on I55 and get to I10 to Lafayette, LA I then head for the Gulf road LA 82

I am not fond of the Pennsylvania mountains in November
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully someone can comment on I-59 between Chattanooga and Birmingham that has traveled it south bound recently.

At one time it was rated the worst stretch of road in the South. Trucks had beaten the right lane to pieces. I drove in the left lane to keep from jarring the MH to pieces. Done this about 4 times, then gave up all to together.

If you do travel this part of I-59, would you report the road conditions? Sure would be helpful to me and others.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Stayed in Tom Sawyer many times. Thinking about further south (I20) this time.

I get on I81 right at the end (crossing at Gananoque).

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What is your departure point
You are near 81 but how far north
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
No mountains.

From Knoxville, TN, I take I-40 to Little Rock, AR. Then I-30 to Dallas.
It time permits, stay a day or two in the Tom Sawyer RV park just across the river from Memphis.

Knoxville to Dallas
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog