Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 04/06/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/09/17 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The driver posted his own account on the other three. No speculation needed.

Clockman

Los Angeles

Full Member

Joined: 10/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/09/17 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When in Doubt, throttle out! Ya right....

Camper G

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/10/17 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I appreciate the drivers post and understand that stuff happens, the combination of highway speeds, brake failure (his statements) and in my opinion a marginal tow vehicle, improper loading (heavy items on the rear bumper, regardless of weight is not a good idea) was a recipe for disaster.

I'm glad everyone is ok and that's what is most important. Can you tow a rig that long and heavy with an suv? Yes. Should you? I wouldn't personally. To me that rig is at least 2500HD truck or one ton van territory. I like to have more margin than most which improves my chances and safety when bad things happen.


2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

- John Chapter 14, Verse 6

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/17 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper G wrote:

While I appreciate the drivers post and understand that stuff happens, the combination of highway speeds, brake failure (his statements) and in my opinion a marginal tow vehicle, improper loading (heavy items on the rear bumper, regardless of weight is not a good idea) was a recipe for disaster.

I'm glad everyone is ok and that's what is most important. Can you tow a rig that long and heavy with an suv? Yes. Should you? I wouldn't personally. To me that rig is at least 2500HD truck or one ton van territory. I like to have more margin than most which improves my chances and safety when bad things happen.


That's an Excursion. A 3/4 ton SUV based on the 3/4-1 ton Super Duty. Vehicle wasn't an issue. Loading was. Your 2500 Ram is basically the same vehicle.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!


rbpru

North Central Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/17 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People can and do, tow TTs which any tow vehicle they feel confident with; often never giving it a second thought.

Most will never have an issue but when things go wrong, physics wins. [emoticon]


Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.


Camper G

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/10/17 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Camper G wrote:

While I appreciate the drivers post and understand that stuff happens, the combination of highway speeds, brake failure (his statements) and in my opinion a marginal tow vehicle, improper loading (heavy items on the rear bumper, regardless of weight is not a good idea) was a recipe for disaster.

I'm glad everyone is ok and that's what is most important. Can you tow a rig that long and heavy with an suv? Yes. Should you? I wouldn't personally. To me that rig is at least 2500HD truck or one ton van territory. I like to have more margin than most which improves my chances and safety when bad things happen.


That's an Excursion. A 3/4 ton SUV based on the 3/4-1 ton Super Duty. Vehicle wasn't an issue. Loading was. Your 2500 Ram is basically the same vehicle.


Not really. My truck has a stiffer suspension, load range E tires and over 3100 lbs of payload. I don't know of an excursion that has that much payload. The X is a good tow vehicle, but it is an SUV.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/13/17 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

People can and do, tow TTs which any tow vehicle they feel confident with; often never giving it a second thought.

Most will never have an issue but when things go wrong, physics wins. [emoticon]


This is also true with OTR tractor trailers.


'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 96k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Equalizer 4 pt 10k.

Acdii

Capron

Senior Member

Joined: 05/26/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/17/17 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see quite a few arguments regarding tail heavy. If I were to compare trailer loading to my RC planes, maybe it can help clear it up.

A Nose heavy plane lands fast, but lands, a tail heavy plane crashes. On a plane there is a balance point, usually landing on the spar of the wing, or in an area at the spar. For every ounce the tail is heavy, to balance you need 3 to 4 ounces in the nose.

While a Plane and a Travel trailer are completely different things, the one thing both have in common is a balance point, the plane, it is the spar, on the trailer, its the axles. Depending on where the axles are placed on a trailer, can determine the ratio of weight back to front to balance it, or make it tow happy.

Trailers that have a long area behind the axles, weight back there can be critical, for every pound added, you must add 2,3,4 or more pounds up front to compensate. As another poster pointed out, 100 pounds of clothes(really? Thats a lot of clothes) placed rearward can be the making of disaster, but move them forward and all is peachy.

So, the trailer in question appeared to have 128 pounds of stuff hanging off the back, and that can lead to disaster if not compensated for with 150 pounds or more up front.

If the trailers CG is dead center, you could add equal amounts front and back. Would I? Nope, that becomes a fine weighing game. I would always add more to the front to balance than what was put in the rear.

After reading the guys story about the wreck, it just proves what I have stated in several other posts about speeding up to correct sway. Don't! Unless you have a **** load of HP and torque and can do the 1/4 mile in 6.8 seconds, you wont be able to go fast enough to correct it. Knowing what I know about hitches now, if I found a crack in the hitch, I would not have purchased a hitch of lessor means than what is needed. Amazon can deliver to any address, and if I need a few extra days, I would take them in order to have the proper setup to take the rig home.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/17/17 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acdii wrote:

I see quite a few arguments regarding tail heavy. If I were to compare trailer loading to my RC planes, maybe it can help clear it up.

A Nose heavy plane lands fast, but lands, a tail heavy plane crashes. On a plane there is a balance point, usually landing on the spar of the wing, or in an area at the spar. For every ounce the tail is heavy, to balance you need 3 to 4 ounces in the nose.

While a Plane and a Travel trailer are completely different things, the one thing both have in common is a balance point, the plane, it is the spar, on the trailer, its the axles. Depending on where the axles are placed on a trailer, can determine the ratio of weight back to front to balance it, or make it tow happy.

Trailers that have a long area behind the axles, weight back there can be critical, for every pound added, you must add 2,3,4 or more pounds up front to compensate. As another poster pointed out, 100 pounds of clothes(really? Thats a lot of clothes) placed rearward can be the making of disaster, but move them forward and all is peachy.

So, the trailer in question appeared to have 128 pounds of stuff hanging off the back, and that can lead to disaster if not compensated for with 150 pounds or more up front.

If the trailers CG is dead center, you could add equal amounts front and back. Would I? Nope, that becomes a fine weighing game. I would always add more to the front to balance than what was put in the rear.

After reading the guys story about the wreck, it just proves what I have stated in several other posts about speeding up to correct sway. Don't! Unless you have a **** load of HP and torque and can do the 1/4 mile in 6.8 seconds, you wont be able to go fast enough to correct it. Knowing what I know about hitches now, if I found a crack in the hitch, I would not have purchased a hitch of lessor means than what is needed. Amazon can deliver to any address, and if I need a few extra days, I would take them in order to have the proper setup to take the rig home.


Great post! Especially about the speeding up when you encounter "true sway."

One thing. It doesn't matter how much trailer you have in back of the axels as long as the weights are correct. It's all about weight ratios. I know this from building one of my car trailers.

It towed great at any speed when it was just a flat deck. When I enclosed it, the trailer towed horrible. The reason was the heavy ramp door. The ramp door through all of the ratios off and it was light on the tongue.

The length of the trailer remained the same and the axel to rear of the trailer remained the same. The balance weight ratio changed a bunch and that made the trailer tow like garbage. After putting a tool box and a bunch of parts up front the trailer towed like a dream again.


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS