cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best tow vehicle for family of 6?

TravelFor6
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 kids and one (and last!) on the way. We're looking to buy a new RV, but finding a towing vehicle that can accommodate all of us AND tow an RV big enough for us is an issue. Any suggestions? I heard that you can have a 3rd row custom added to a truck, although I'm not sure where that's done or if it would be safe for the kiddos. Otherwise, we're thinking a Yukon Denali which tows 8900, but that limits us quite a bit on the trailer (we're hoping to get a trailer with a bunk room for the kids so we're not constantly changing the dining/living area from seats to beds). Anyone knowledgable about truck modifications or have a big family with a tow vehicle/RV that works well for you?
40 REPLIES 40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
We fit our family of 8 in our '93 GMC crew cab. We went through a check stop once and my wife was certain we would be fined for not having all the kids buckled in. The officer told us the law didn't require us to leave any kids at home .... Just use the seat belts you have.

You can fit 11 clowns in a Volkswagen bug too but the OPs post was about the BEST tow vehicle not whatโ€™s humanly possible to do.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
There few new 3/4t or 1t tow vehicles on the market that can carry that many people. Have you considered a bunk house model motor home instead? Depending on the size you choose you could have a minivan as a toad for running around once you reach the destination.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Once upon a time I towed a 11K GVW TT with a 7.3 PSD Excursion. It was a fantastic combo. However Excursions are rare, and getting old at this point.
I would not want to start out with a 10 year old vehicle.
However If I were attempting to haul 6 passengers today I would opt for a 1 ton van. A V-10 with 4.30 gears will get the job done.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We fit our family of 8 in our '93 GMC crew cab. We went through a check stop once and my wife was certain we would be fined for not having all the kids buckled in. The officer told us the law didn't require us to leave any kids at home .... Just use the seat belts you have.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of guys here think you have to buy a new truck and that anything more than six or seven years old is ready for the junkyard. I suppose if you live northeast in the Rust Belt. On the west coast you see 20+ year old rigs in beautiful condition everywhere.
The 3/4 ton Suburban or Ford Excursion is the best answer.
A six-door truck would be fantastic, but very expensive (although you didn't mention budget restrictions) and VERY long. That with a big trailer would be hard to get through town in. Regular four door crew cabs are pretty long already.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've thought about this more than once given the probability that we could inherit my sister's 4 children (long story and not a great one for sure) along with our 2 kids.
First choice would be oldest can drive on a permit in 6 months so in 6-18 months will have 3 drivers between me, wife and son......just take 2 vehciles.
If I had to do one vehicle to haul 6+ and a big trailer I'd swallow my pride and buy a........Ford Excursion. Either find the holy grail 7.3 or enjoy building a Fummins Excursion. No question.
Not a van guy though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm notorious for buying older vehicles and bringing them up to my standard. So, an Excursion in decent shape wouldn't scare me off as long as the drive train was in good shape. We had a 3500 series Dodge van and the suspension was awesome. We never towed with it but, I feel pretty sure it would have no issues with any average travel trailer. The front and rear air worked great. Just make sure you don't run 2500 series tires on it.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever consider a C class? Another option.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if you live in a northern state you have to consider the rust issue but not here. As for as the rare factor your are absolutely correct. I drove 14 hours 1 way to buy mine but I love it. Everything works as it should and I am more than happy to repair something if it does break because the truck actually fits our needs. Nothing worse than repairing a TV that does not fit your needs.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
How about something that isn't already 12 years old, and starting to get into that "Is it reliable?" phase of life. Brake lines are starting to rust. Fuel lines are starting to rust.

You also talk like there's one sitting for sale on every street corner. Fact of the matter is 8.1 'burbs are rare as hen's teeth, especially now since they've been out of production since 2006, and numbers have been dwindling due to normal attrition (i.e. worn out, wrecked).

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the last 2 posts. I am in the same boat with 4 kids. After tons of research we finally got ahold of a 3/4 ton 8.1 burb. So happy with this truck. It tows wonderful and the kids just watch the dvd in the back. It makes life so much easier and its 4x4. What else do you need?

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with intheburbs, our 2010 Burb is a towing machine........the ONLY reason we have an Excursion is because I'm a diesel fanatic. My wife loves the Burb, I just wanted a diesel to tow with....!
3/4 SUV is the only way to go IMHO. We vacationed in our '08 Ram 3500 CTD when there was only 6 of us and it was not comfortable at all. You might be different but it gets tight having a kid at my elbow for long stretches of driving......
We have 7 in our crew and I'm a 4wd guy, we love to hit back roads once we get to where we're going and a van just wasn't going to do what we wanted.
1/2 ton SUV, regardless of tow rating doesn't have the GVWR and spare cargo capacity to handle a big family, any gear that goes IN the vehicle AND the tongue weight of most trailers that are big enough to comfortably camp in. We have already been there, tried that and have a 3/4 ton Burb because of it.
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
2013 or older Suburban/Yukon XL 2500. Fantastic vehicles, totally bulletproof powertrain. Mine is up to 170,000 miles, everything still functions perfectly, and I've spent a total of $23 in unscheduled maintenance over the last three years, all while beating the snot out of it.

Main selling features for me are the 6.0 iron-block motor with no AFM, and the 10.5" AA free-floater rear axle that's rated to 10,000 lbs, compared to the wimpy 14-bolt semifloater in the half-ton trucks.

Comfortably seats 6, and there's still enough cargo room in back for my family for a two-week vacation. No need for a hitch rack or roof rack. Trailer is 8600 lbs, back bunk room, two slides. This past summer we dragged it out to Yellowstone and back. 5400 miles in two and a half weeks.

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

blt2ski
100k miles towing with my old 96 GM crewcab. Even had an manual 5 so trans. Most the family weighed was 1300 or when kids were adult sized teens.
Many weekends skiing out of trailer, humorous 1-2 week trips.
A van gives one the most room for a family if 6. But in my case, finding a 4ad van for winter towing, working out of it,.....did not work. Hence crew cab pickup. Spouse drove an Astro/Safari vans.
There is not a perfect option . Out there. Make sure you have payload for growing family weights, and hitch weight, bikes in bed or equal. We usually had 2500-3000 lbs added to base weight if truck with a upwards if 7000 lb trailer behind. You will want at minimum a 25 series rig, if not a SW 35 for trailers 10k and under. Go much over this size trailer, you will want need a duallie from a payload need standpoint.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer