cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-80 rest areas....any fenced in areas

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any fenced in pet areas on route 80 going from PA thru nebraska. Trying to figure out how to exercise/tire out our rescue dobey mix. We are working on come but in new surroundings and we just got her, not going to take chances. Just got her and leave on October 1st.

There is always the 20 - 30 foot leash but first we have to teach her to play ball.
11 REPLIES 11

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up...absolutely. And I am quite ready to get on anyone who doesn't.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a rest area with a fenced in area for animals to poop in.

You do pick up after your dog, don't you.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will get some...love that there is no other **** in them...just liver.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
She is a rescue and she RUNS so she is always on leash (learned that lesson the other day)...can easily see how her nose lead her astray. We thought the recall was bombproof...no so much. So she is on leash for forever we think...so the long line is it.

Grassy area makes sense...we tried it today in our yard with maybe 40 feet of line...worked well to tire her out.

We need high value treats but she is sensitive to foods (chicken probably)...

run her when she is hungry...really hungry, rest her, then eat...or nothing in life is free
and she works for her food.

Donna

My go-to "powerful treat" is freeze-dried liver. My dogs would sell their souls for it. Jimmy, my diabetic, reminds me to give him his shot so he can get his treat! I buy Stewart's brand, it's made in the USA from American-sourced livers. And it's not greasy.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
She is a rescue and she RUNS so she is always on leash (learned that lesson the other day)...can easily see how her nose lead her astray. We thought the recall was bombproof...no so much. So she is on leash for forever we think...so the long line is it.

Grassy area makes sense...we tried it today in our yard with maybe 40 feet of line...worked well to tire her out.

We need high value treats but she is sensitive to foods (chicken probably)...

run her when she is hungry...really hungry, rest her, then eat...or nothing in life is free
and she works for her food.

Donna

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the long line - even if you find an area that's fenced, you never know if there's broken glass, tick infestation, feces from a sick dog, sandburrs, etc etc. But finding a nice grassy area is pretty easy - think shopping malls, Cabelas, large commercial places or even industrial areas. Beware the empty lots - go for the manicured lawns (and of course always pick up after your dog)

A camping hint: always teach your dog that they can't go out of the RV without a leash; and have a "bombproof recall" meaning they always come when called. This is obviously important at home, but truly critical in a strange area where you just stopped momentarily and now the dog is loose.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We do have a long line that we use at home for recall...so we need to bring that I guess.
I am working on getting her to like the ball more but she is really not a fetcher. Having her race a few time to end of leash (carefully plotted might help her get out some jiggles.

I have found a dog park in Nebraska that she will hopefully find "someone" to chase. If not at least it is fenced in and we can do recalls back and forth until she is pantingly tired. Nebraska is a long way from NY but daughter is taking our pup the weekend before we go away and she has a pup that likes to be chased. Mali should arrive back to us tired...hopefully tired enough for a good day.

Thanks.

shirleyj62
Explorer
Explorer
How to exercise dog while traveling? We currently have a high energy 7 month old puppy. She is used to having a fenced in back yard. One thing that we do is put her on a "long line" . Basically just a nylon long leash (25-35 ft). She loves to fetch. So we find an empty area at rest stops or campgrounds and play some fetch. I do find that I have to watch my throws because I can throw outside the long leash reach but I just want to keep it within range. This allows her to blow off some steam.

Shirley
Shirley, David and Lady

2017 Sunseeker 3010 DS
2010 Toyota Yaris (toad)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea, Path1. I will check when she gets her booster for lyme.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I remember some (not many) fenced in areas on I-80 and also remember some that I wouldn't let my dog in. Matter of fact she had her own water bowl. If we still owned a dog (RIP Missy) I would make sure she had all the shots needed for nationwide travel, not just our area we live in. Your dog will probably come in contact with dogs from entire US.

Example...Our dog had the heart worm treatment even though we don't need it in our area, reason is she would be exposed when traveling to areas that had it.

Check with your VET.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

dturm
I'm not aware of any in Indiana, the last time we travelled it (July from South Bend west) some were closed and being rebuilt. The rest areas in Ohio are nice, but I don't remember any fenced in areas.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV