Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: I-80 rest areas....any fenced in areas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> I-80 rest areas....any fenced in areas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there any fenced in pet areas on route 80 going from PA thru nebraska. Trying to figure out how to exercise/tire out our rescue dobey mix. We are working on come but in new surroundings and we just got her, not going to take chances. Just got her and leave on October 1st.

There is always the 20 - 30 foot leash but first we have to teach her to play ball.

Our Blog

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not aware of any in Indiana, the last time we travelled it (July from South Bend west) some were closed and being rebuilt. The rest areas in Ohio are nice, but I don't remember any fenced in areas.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (8 year old Terrier of some sort), Kaiya (6 yr old Golden)
Jill & Henry at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember some (not many) fenced in areas on I-80 and also remember some that I wouldn't let my dog in. Matter of fact she had her own water bowl. If we still owned a dog (RIP Missy) I would make sure she had all the shots needed for nationwide travel, not just our area we live in. Your dog will probably come in contact with dogs from entire US.

Example...Our dog had the heart worm treatment even though we don't need it in our area, reason is she would be exposed when traveling to areas that had it.

Check with your VET.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea, Path1. I will check when she gets her booster for lyme.

shirleyj62

Aurora, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/17 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to exercise dog while traveling? We currently have a high energy 7 month old puppy. She is used to having a fenced in back yard. One thing that we do is put her on a "long line" . Basically just a nylon long leash (25-35 ft). She loves to fetch. So we find an empty area at rest stops or campgrounds and play some fetch. I do find that I have to watch my throws because I can throw outside the long leash reach but I just want to keep it within range. This allows her to blow off some steam.

Shirley

Shirley, David and fluffy kids (Ebon and Wow)

2017 Sunseeker 3010 DS
2010 Toyota Yaris (toad)

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/17 03:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do have a long line that we use at home for recall...so we need to bring that I guess.
I am working on getting her to like the ball more but she is really not a fetcher. Having her race a few time to end of leash (carefully plotted might help her get out some jiggles.

I have found a dog park in Nebraska that she will hopefully find "someone" to chase. If not at least it is fenced in and we can do recalls back and forth until she is pantingly tired. Nebraska is a long way from NY but daughter is taking our pup the weekend before we go away and she has a pup that likes to be chased. Mali should arrive back to us tired...hopefully tired enough for a good day.

Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> I-80 rest areas....any fenced in areas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS