cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hellwig sway bar

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a Hellwig 7718 sway bar for my Ford 450 MH. The instructions says that the bolts need to be tighten to torque specifications. However, it does not says what is that number for none of bolts. Do any one know what are these numbers? Where I can find them? Any help will be appreciated.
33 REPLIES 33

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Racine - Hellwig includes torque specs for the rear bar in its instructions.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
S1njin, here are the numbers for the front Hellwig bar.

Here are the numbers I got at the dealer:
Front bolts 111#
Smaller back bolts 18#
Side links bolts #57

I don't have the rear ones but will get them for this summer as I am replacing the rear one when it gets warmer.

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy is a mechanic for our electric companyโ€™s fleet vehicles. Heโ€™s going to help me out.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fwiw I had the helliwig installed on my new 2017 Thor 23u e450. I had camping world do the installation. 3 hrs labor I got dinged but saved me all kinds of hassle. Done quick, professional and made a big difference in coach rideability.

Cb

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
My chassis was finished by Ford 1/2018 - so hopefully no substantial rust yet. Iโ€™m going to do this mod next month I think.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
S1njin wrote:
Are you talking about the front or rear sway bar J-D?

From the front manual - Remove the factory front sway bar keeping the original bolts and nuts to be reused.

Yes, Sir, I am.

I'm not aware of anybody (but ME! more in a second) having an issue with the Rear. My problem was that the OEM bolts securing the center bushings to the Axle were rusted tight. Took me hours to get it apart. When you do the front of the Hellwig rear bar (where it bolts to the frame rails) you are replacing OEM link and fasteners with parts from Hellwig and you can follow their instructions for 1/2x13 USS Bolts.

The only issue I've heard about on Front is with the larger bolts on the fronts of the brackets holding center bushings to crossmember. A couple OP's have found them very hard to remove. And one OP stripped that hole, but he'd tried to enlarge it to late model (2008+) spec on an early (pre-2008) E450 that he'd installed a late model axle on. Ordered the late model bar and wanted bolt sizes to match. I think he had to have somebody come and do some welding to make it work.

Ford must have at least thought that the 2008+ required a bigger front bolt on those brackets. Why, when the axles are very close to alike, and the bars are the same size, beats me. But I'm not an Engineer.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about the front or rear sway bar J-D?

From the front manual - Remove the factory front sway bar keeping the original bolts and nuts to be reused.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced ours, but it uses the earlier model 7008 front sway bar and that one takes one size of U-bracket bolts. The later model discussed here has the same rear bolts on those brackets, but considerably larger (diameter) bolts. Other OP's here have replaced their bars with 7718 and had issues with those front bolts. Stay tuned - Somebody who has worked this should be along to help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
S1njin wrote:
Hellwig did respond quickly.

They told me to call Ford - remarkably UN-helpful.

That is odd. Do they think you were just asking for giggles? I would reply and tell them I am considering their product and would like to know what their specs are and the online instructions if available. If you have a way to measure the bolt there are plenty of charts that give torque values for bolts.

Put the fear of god in 'em. Tell them a past four time customer thinks their answer sucks! LOL

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Hellwig did respond quickly.

They told me to call Ford - remarkably UN-helpful.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
I sent them an email like you suggested - lets see what they say. Thanks.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
S1njin wrote:
I'm considering putting a hellwig front and rear sway bar on my 2018 E450 chassis.

Can somebody surmise torque specs for the front AND the back sway bars? Bolts throught the links/arms, bolts through the plate, etc.?

Roadmaster give you torque specs, but Roadmaster also wants me to drill. I don't want to drill so its Hellwig or bust.

In my experience with Hellwig their instructions will give you the specs and are available on their website.

sdtrucksprings.com had the best prices that I found. I have purchased four different bars from them and have been happy.

My research in the Hellwig vs Roadmaster came up Hellwig every time. The steel and the diameter was always the same. Mounting and the downlinks had a difference which I bet is simply a work-a-round for patents. Price always went to Hellwig.

IMO customer service is a slight edge to Hellwig. On my first install on the front of a 2007 E-450 I called them when I couldn't figure out something simple. As soon as he started talking it was plain the beer confused the instructions. Had a good laugh. Since them then I have talked to both on bars for my 2016 F53 and with RM on their RSSA.

EDIT: I just looked around Hellwig and SDTrucksprings sites and couldn't find the information you need. I would certainly contact Hellwig they do respond promptly. Please contact techsupport@hellwigproducts.com for a current instruction sheet. When I did my E-450 I only used a 1/2 drive ratchet and flexbar but I don"t recall using a cheater bar on it.

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering putting a hellwig front and rear sway bar on my 2018 E450 chassis.

Can somebody surmise torque specs for the front AND the back sway bars? Bolts throught the links/arms, bolts through the plate, etc.?

Roadmaster give you torque specs, but Roadmaster also wants me to drill. I don't want to drill so its Hellwig or bust.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV