Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: What's the WORST Experience You ever had at a RV/Camp site?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the WORST Experience You ever had at a RV/Camp site?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

two experiences, both years ago and both likely involving copious amounts of alcohol. the first was a group of chronologically young adults who were throwing empty booze bottles againt some large rocks at the rear of their campsite (commercial campground). a report to the office was ignored so we left the next morning. the other was a large, loud, obnoxious and apparently drunk group at a state park. a complaint to the rangers resulted in their eviction.

* This post was edited 08/28/17 03:50pm by rk911 *

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Knuckle Heads right next to us (drunk) plinking beer cans and bottles off the picnic table with a .22 rifle...crowded State Park...

Sheriff arrived and hauled them off. The woman who was with them also arrested for mouthing off to the deputies. It was all quite a scene.

You got a floor show for free!!!!

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Knuckle Heads right next to us (drunk) plinking beer cans and bottles off the picnic table with a .22 rifle...crowded State Park...

Sheriff arrived and hauled them off. The woman who was with them also arrested for mouthing off to the deputies. It was all quite a scene.

Now I would have paid to see that and provided my own chairs to boot!![emoticon]

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ft. Stevens State Park, Oregon
And then there was this...logging crew pulled up to our site and started cutting down 150 foot fir that was no more than 5 feet from our slide. We asked if they wanted us to move. Answer, "Not necessary, no problem."

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time I was able to coax my young bride into a tent camping trip. We had a toddler, and borrowed the family tent from my parents. Arrived for a week's stay at a popular state park on a Sunday afternoon when we expected a bunch of sites to open up, but nope, there was exactly one open site in the park for that night, although several folks were leaving the NEXT day. One look at the site, and I saw that it was the low spot in the campground, guaranteed mud hole if it rained, but hey, weather guessers said no chance of rain until at least Tuesday . . . so we took the site.

You guessed it, gulley washer that night. Woke up at the height of the storm, and thank goodness we were sleeping up off the ground on cots, because there was 8 inches of muddy water inside the tent. Nothing I could do about it, and the water wasn't going to get deeper, due to the lay of the land, so I went back to sleep. Sure enough, dawn came and the tent was full of mud and water. We put the toddler in the car, packed up our now wet gear, dragged the tent (which had a floor, but it was a 100% cotton canvas tent and weighed a ton even without the mud) across the site, over the road, and into the river to wash out the mud, then back across the road and rolled it up to strap on the trunk lid of our car for the journey home.

It took several years to convince the wife that camping wasn't an evil plot for her murder, but she did put one condition on me: camping trips absolutely require a daily hot shower, no matter where we go. That limited boon docking somewhat, but she now goes camping happily. Especially now that we have a TT and her hot shower is lock-down guaranteed.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got 2 fingers pinched in an aluminum door frame as we were setting up a pop up years ago. Pain didn't let up until 10 pm. I was pretty rung out from it, so I thought I'd take a shower at the shower house then go to bed. The sidewalk wasn't well lighted and I fell straight forward when I caught my foot on a substantial raise in the sidewalk. Got the wind knocked out of me and scraped both knees and palm of one hand. Next day I had a nice beach towel stolen from right under my nose at the pool. Camping trip from Hell.

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rowdy family party in the campsite next to us; adults got more and more intoxicated as the little kids ran around in the dark screaming. Mom & Dad got into a fight and we heard more than we ever need to know about that floozie at his office. Little kid ran into the fire ring and burned his foot, real screaming now Mom & Dad too drunk to drive, so DH drove Mom and little kid to the ER while Dad stayed at camp and I helped put the other two to bed. DH, Mom, & little kid return at dawn. We pack up and leave. lizzie

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, I was real ready to have at this, but ours is tame.....

About a hundred years ago (seems like) we traveled with no kids, just a shaggy dog, and we did it with trailbikes on a trailer that was also the kitchen. We did this in a Vega (remember them?) with a hatch tent (remember those?). It was a pretty successful rig. When in it. we were comfortable.

We were returning from a long (both time and distance) visit to family 8~900 miles distant and this was about half way. It was late and we were tired, wife is riding shotgun with the AAA camping guide and a flashlight and figured out that there was a campground (crampground really) not far ahead. She got out the charts (maps) and we got off the highway and drove probably 5~6 miles down gravel roads to get there and start dinner for the three of us. I set up the tent and she got food for all. We had not yet noticed where we were. It started to rain too. (I know, it usually does that on the first day.)

The campsite was about 50 yards from a steep grade on I-80. We tried to sleep, but trucks were either climbing hard or jaking down that grade all night long. We never ever again stayed at a KOA until Google Earth, RVPark Reviews and wire onboard.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite some years ago we met my in-laws at a state park in Illinois. I can't remember if we both had tents in those days, but I think so. Nice park, peaceful until a motorcycle group roared in. A few and then LOTS of them. (Sites were restricted to no more than x number of adults per site - I think perhaps 4 adults per.) There were way more than that; they took up 4 sites a little ways from us. During the evening, the beer was flowing and so were the mouths, fouler & fouler, louder & louder. The CG bathroom was totally trashed by bedtime - I'm talking **#&^&$^# ON the seat, etc. One poor ranger on horseback was all the security we had. We didn't sleep too well that night! We left the next day, still feeling sorry for the ranger.

Another time, we were at the end of the first week of a 3-week trip 2/3 of the way across the country (roundtrip), in our popup. I had reserved a site (sight unseen) at a private CG east of Seattle which got ok reviews. Got there and the place was a mess, sites were cheek-to-jowl and the place was full; most other campers were part of a group - family-friendly, but lots of noise due to lots of meet-and-greet stuff, kids running around, dogs, etc. I just felt really uncomfortable the whole time we were there. Called around (before cellphones - using pay phones) and found a mom & pop motel that would let us stay the next night & leave the camper in their parking lot. Much better!

All in all, pretty tame, I guess. [emoticon]

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We encountered a crazy woman who kept coming over and INSISTING we change sites with her. After the third visit from "rosannadanna", we contacted the park ranger and they kicked her and family out of the park.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the WORST Experience You ever had at a RV/Camp site?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS