Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: 2017 Ford Explorer mass flow indicator code
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> 2017 Ford Explorer mass flow indicator code

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Motor City Swagman

Detroit, Michigan/Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/17 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I follow all of the instructions in the Ford manual regarding flat towing a 2017 Ford Explorer with auto trans and 3.9l v6 engine. I run the engine for 5 minutes, put the trans in Drive then reverse then neutral, shut the engine off and open the knife switch on the negative battery cable. When I am done flat towing I the close the knife switch and put the car in park and star it. The problem is a 0068 mass flow indicator code pops up everytime, I clear the code and during normal driving every thing is fine it doesn't come back this only happens when I am done towing. Has anyone else experienced this code coming in or can explain it?

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac
">

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor City Swagman wrote:

I follow all of the instructions in the Ford manual regarding flat towing a 2017 Ford Explorer with auto trans and 3.9l v6 engine. I run the engine for 5 minutes, put the trans in Drive then reverse then neutral, shut the engine off and open the knife switch on the negative battery cable. When I am done flat towing I the close the knife switch and put the car in park and star it. The problem is a 0068 mass flow indicator code pops up everytime, I clear the code and during normal driving every thing is fine it doesn't come back this only happens when I am done towing. Has anyone else experienced this code coming in or can explain it?

It is likely that the power is back-feeding by grounding via the motorhome ground connection. That is confusing the computer. According to Roadmaster you need to disconnect the positive battery cable which will prevent this problem. The real technical problem is the vehicle and motorhome share a common ground when connected. As soon as you add a supplemental braking system that is required. You now have a hot connection as well. The ground through the motorhome is a very poor ground but is enough to partially bring online the vehicle computers.

FMCA member

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/17 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor City Swagman wrote:

I am also flat towing a 2017 explorer. I occasionally (not always) get the code and it eventually clears itself).

The only pattern I can see is this....When I reconnect the battery (positive terminal in my case) ( I have a button attached to a solenoid rather than a knife switch but same idea), if I don't start the vehicle within about 5 minutes, the check engine light will come on and I get the code. If I start it in less than 5 minutes, I don't get the code...

Not sure if that means anything but just my observation..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> 2017 Ford Explorer mass flow indicator code
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS