cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Star Sport 191CK front bunk leaking

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. New here and I'm having a problem to which I'm having a hard time finding an answer and solution. We have a 2009 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 191CK that we purchased from my aunt and uncle 3 years ago. They purchased it new in 09 or 10 and had rarely used it, so it is like brand new, except there is a leak at the bottom of the front bunk door when closed. I noticed a little water staining when we purchased it and I would like to find a way to fix this before we incur any major damage. I have replaced the seal around the door but I feel like this issue is related to the gasket or seal at the bottom of the door and I don't know what to replace it with. Photos below. Could anyone provide any advice or assistance?

16 REPLIES 16

slavco
Explorer
Explorer
Camper1092 wrote:
Where did you get the bottom double bulb seal from and do you remember the model/product # for it?

Not sure if you still need this, but this is the seal - http://edmontonrv.wsiefusion.net/Catalogue-2014.pdf - FR99 0130. I have used it for my 2003 Travel Star and it was an exact fit. You should be able to get your local RV shop to order it for you. One word of caution, it's not cheap 🙂 I think I paid somewhere around $80 CAD for it.

It also doesn't solve the leakage issue, as some people pointed out, the hinge designed is flawed. It's all good when the trailer is stationary, however towing it in the rain forces water into the camper under pressure. What I did was buy a garage door foam gasket from Homedepot and used it to close off the holes on the bottom corners. Although this doesn't fully address the issue, the amount of water getting in is significantly reduced. I just know to soak it up from the front storage compartment when we arrive at our destination.

Good luck!
Slav

Camper1092
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get the bottom double bulb seal from and do you remember the model/product # for it?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2008 TS Sport 21RBH I never had any of these leaks, but did have condensation caused delamn on the bunkdoor. It would lift up and then re seat based on heat. Worst issues were of course in late fall and early spring. Same issues occur on roofs and a ton of laminated trailers out there.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Camper1092
Explorer
Explorer
The design flaw I mentioned was that the hinge allows water to collect inside the unit. Mine does not drain from the hinge very well and water stays in the tray area since it is not sloped forward. When they replaced the seal around the bunk they did not extend it past the opening in the hinge. The original seal also didn't extend past the seal. The picture of the new hinge design looks better to me. I have recaulked that lower seal area before since I assumed the water was possibly getting in that way. I will add more and possibly look for a better way to seal it. Does anyone know what is used under the hinge where the door is screwed onto the front wall. I was thinking water might possibly be getting in under that as well if the tape wasn't well installed or has failed. I don't want to have to pull it off if that's not necessary. I also received an email from StarCraft years ago that showed a diagram of a double bulb seal with a flap at the bottom of the bunk door. When I questioned why mine was different I got no response. The recommended part the dealer advised is for the double bulb like is currently working on it. I appreciate everyone's input and help. I will say a 10 year old trailer isn't that old. I had a Coleman pop up that lasted over 20 years without any issues. I check and recaulk regularly.

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
aclovelace wrote:
Yes, I did replace the bulb seal along the hinge as well as the old one was rusted where the metal is in the seal. Please do share any images and the quote that you received. I'm wondering if the reason Starcraft won't respond is because it was a complete design flaw.

in the 15 years i've been on the Hybrid forum here, i've never seen any claim that Starcraft hybrids had a design flaw in their bunk ends.
in fact, they had probably had the lowest bunk issues of all the hybrid brands.

i think that Starcraft's lack of response is because, from their viewpoint, it's a 10 year old trailer, that didn't have regular maintenance and you aren't the original owner.

not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

Multiple things here, since you arebeing harsh, assuming multiple things you do not know, and are not being helpful in any way, the original owners were my aunt & uncle. I was with them when they bought it. It has been regularly maintained, I'm not sure where you got that information. It was a 6 year old trailer when I reached out Starcraft. The door had 2 screws in it holding the entire thing to the camper and came from the dealer that way. And companies that want return business and service business shouldn't ignore customers because of the age of the trailer.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a direct Starcraft issue, but it is a design issue. The bunk door assembly on that year was made by Kinro, later they were acquired by Lippert. This type of bunk door (kinro/Lippert) is used by all hybrid manufacturers except Forest River Rockwood/Flagstaff and Palomino. It has evolved over the years. Sometime around 2010 they changed the hinge from the piano hinge as shown in your picture, to a continuous hinge. By design the whole hinge assembly is designed to be self draining. They expect water to get inside that hinge, and its supposed to then drain from the ends.

I believe what you have happening is a compromised caulk joint at the black arrow. Its a known and common issue. It may look fine but trust me its probably leaking. Clean and recaulk that joint. You have to do it yearly because over time from opening and closing the door it will eventually split. They do not have enough of a lip on that extrusion to caulk it properly and there is no backup seal, such as butyl tape inside that aluminum extrusion.

Water gets in that joint, then it's inside the door itself, it then drains out the bottom screws that go from the hinge up into the door panel. Pull those screws and check for rust. I would bet the inner and outer plywood is now soft and compromised on the door panel itself. Also the seal where I put the yellow arrow should have been extended down so it ended below the hinge pin. That's so that any water the runs down the outer edge of that seal drips off and goes down the front of the trailer and not back into the hinge assembly. I had two other hybrids with these doors, one a 2011 and the other a 2013. Its still a much better design that the Forest River design on our 2017 Rockwood Roo. Ours have not leaked on the 2017 but the hinge assembly is pop riveted together and they are all starting to pull through on both doors.

In the pic below (if you save it and zoom in) you can see how the hinge itself was changed to eliminate the holes at the hinge pin, you can also see the new caulk in that joint which bacame a yearly maintenance item. Thats a 2011 which was manufactured in April of 2010.

You may as well forget about Starcraft being of any help, just like any other manufacturer. Its hard if not impossible to get any help or service even if its just technical advice, even when a unit is in warranty let alone out of it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
aclovelace wrote:
Yes, I did replace the bulb seal along the hinge as well as the old one was rusted where the metal is in the seal. Please do share any images and the quote that you received. I'm wondering if the reason Starcraft won't respond is because it was a complete design flaw.

in the 15 years i've been on the Hybrid forum here, i've never seen any claim that Starcraft hybrids had a design flaw in their bunk ends.
in fact, they had probably had the lowest bunk issues of all the hybrid brands.

i think that Starcraft's lack of response is because, from their viewpoint, it's a 10 year old trailer, that didn't have regular maintenance and you aren't the original owner.

not trying to be harsh, just realistic.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer

Camper1092
Explorer
Explorer
Did you also change out the bottom bulb seal? I had an RV place change out the seal around the door and thought it took care of the issue. It unfortunately didn't and I now have water damage in the storage compartment that is under the bunk door. Water is constantly getting into the black tray where the bunk folds up and I'm assuming stays there until it somehow works it's way into the door and down the front wall. I will post some pics this weekend. Canvas in my unit looked exactly like yours. It keeps getting wet when the bunk was closed. I did get a quote for a new bunk door I can share with you once I find it again. It appears to be a bad design the way the front hinge is on the door. StarCraft and dealer have not been much help.

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer
I did end up replacing the seal around the bunk door, which appears to have helped, however, the damage was already done and from the hinge up about 10" of the door is soft and will need to eventually be replaced, so I am trying to find out how to order a door, but cannot get anyone from the Starcraft services nearby to respond to me. It is still usable. Do you have any photos you could share of yours?

Camper1092
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar problem on my 2009 StarCraft travelstar 18rb. Were you able to eventually figure out the source of the leak?

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer
I am just stunned that none of those screws were ever installed. I am going to put all of those screws in and purchase a new seal, which I definitely need. I will also try spraying with water and see if it is still coming in. This is seal is an SD-725 bulb seal which I found at Uni-grip.com but to buy from them requires a 30' minimum, which is about twice as much as I need. Does anyone know an online parts store that would sell a lesser amount? I am not having much luck searching. I've contacted Starcraft, with no luck or even a response of any kind yet. Thank you!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
aclovelace wrote:
The entire door at the bottom is in place with only 2 screws. How does that happen?

Carelessness. Definitely put those screws in, it certainly won't hurt!

Close the bunk end and take out the mattress. With one person on the inside holding up the canvas as best as you can, have another use a hose on the outside, spraying slowly from the bottom up and watching to see if water is getting in.

To me it looks like older damage where the canvas wasn't tucked in properly when closed up and perhaps was either towed in the rain or left to sit with the canvas stuck under the seals.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

aclovelace
Explorer
Explorer

Also just found ALL of these brand new screws laying in the track behind the seal that were never installed from when it was built. There are only 2 screws installed, one on each end. The entire door at the bottom is in place with only 2 screws. How does that happen?