cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nexgard or Bravecto chewable flea and tick protection

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use these and how safe are they. The Nexgard is once a month and the Bravecto is good for 3 months. The Collie's and I will be in the woods this summer and want some protection.
18 REPLIES 18

alicelay56
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing valuable information with us. It is pivotal to know what our furr prescribed. And I'm glad to know this, Bravecto for dogs is safe to use. Someone recommended this product when my dog is affected by flea and ticks. I research a lot about this and bought it from https://www.petcaresupplies.com/bravecto-for-dogs/flea-and-tick-control-treatment-317.aspx at a reasonable price. After using this, my pal is healthy and happy. I love this product. Great job!

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
No one is more protective of their fur babies than we are. We were using Advantix on our small dog. Suddenly she started having fleas and that was within one week of me applying the Advantix. Since the bites were causing dermatitis our vet suggested Bravecto. She has no ill side effects from it. Our large dog still uses Frontline and it still works for him. He cannot use any type of pill for fleas since he had idiopathic seizures.
The only thing I do different is during the cold winter months when we are home and not travelling I will put Advantix on Lucie and give her body a break from the pill. This works well and the vet does not have a problem with us doing that. We have not seen a flea on her since the Bravecto.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
RBak wrote:
Better check with your vet before you try any of these. Collies and Shelties can be sensitive to certain chemical ingredients - I've used Frontline Plus for many years with good results, and my present sheltie Buttons has a "show coat" - very thick, but so far no sign of fleas or tick. We were in Colorado 2 weeks ago hiking on the trails and I'm sure there were ticks and other critters, but Buttons had no living souvenirs from our trip. Best wishes to you and all the collies.

Rita
Buttons the princess sheltie
Nicky the spoiled Tennessee Walker

We lived in WY and our vet told us that ticks and fleas cannot live in high altitudes. Our boy never had a tick but got fleas when visitors came from the East coast and brought some. (We quickly found out he was highly allergic).
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Frontline still works for us; unfortunately it's been consistently too wet to treat our Maremma Sheepdog. Our Border Collies have been treated.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
My 14-year old half-Lhasa has been using Bravecto for almost two years with no ill effects and it is highly effective for both fleas and ticks.

X-2

Two years for Merlin with out a problem/
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both for our Great Pyrenees this last month. She is allergic to the liquid applied to the body.

The problem with Bravecto, it is a once/3 months dosage that only protects against lone star ticks for 2 months. As we travel into areas with those ticks, having her unprotected for a month before the next dosage was unacceptable to us.

I find it unfathomable, that they would create a treatment that leaves such large gaps in protection.

So we went with the more expensive Nexgard. For the last 2 years, it has worked very well for her.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I wanted to say thank you for all that took the time to respond. Sounds like its safe for my Collies. Vet has the Bravecto for $53. A dose but it's good for three months.

I think I paid $52/dose last year, so that seems about right. And to NOT have 2 dogs in bed with us, scratching half the night?? Priceless ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to say thank you for all that took the time to respond. Sounds like its safe for my Collies. Vet has the Bravecto for $53. A dose but it's good for three months.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
I did a google search on +MDR1 (name of mutation for "ivermectin sensitivity") and each of the drug names (+fluralaner and +afoxolaner); the "+" requires these terms to be found in the websites.

Safety of fluralaner (Bravecto), a novel systemic antiparasitic drug, in MDR1(-/-) Collies after oral administration
Walther FM, Paul AJ, Allan MJ, Roepke RK, Nuernberger MC.
Parasit Vectors. 2014 Mar 6;7:86. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-7-86.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Fluralaner is a novel systemic ectoparasiticide for dogs providing long-acting flea- and tick-control after a single oral dose. This study investigated the safety of oral administration of fluralaner at 3 times the highest expected clinical dose to Multi Drug Resistance Protein 1 (MDR1(-/-)) gene defect Collies.

METHODS:
Sixteen Collies homozygous for the MDR1 deletion mutation were included in the study. Eight Collies received fluralaner chewable tablets once at a dose of 168 mg/kg; eight sham dosed Collies served as controls. All Collies were clinically observed until 28 days following treatment.

RESULTS:
No adverse events were observed subsequent to fluralaner treatment of MDR1(-/-) Collies at three times the highest expected clinical dose.

CONCLUSIONS:
Fluralaner chewable tablets are well tolerated in MDR1(-/-) Collies following oral administration.

CVMP assessment report for NexGard
Pharmacokinetics
The applicant provided pharmacokinetic studies following oral administration in dogs.
Afoxolaner is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. In dogs administered doses varying from 1 to 4 mg/kg bw, Tmax ranged from 2 to 12 hours; the mean Cmax ranged from 538 (1 mg/kg bw) to 2,147 ng/ml (4 mg/kg bw); the mean half-life ranged from 7.7 to 17.8 days; and, the mean AUCinf ranged from 7225 (1.0 mg/kg bw) to 30,107 day?ng/ml (4.0 mg/kg bw). After oral administration of 2.5 mg afoxolaner/kg bw bioavailability was calculated to be approximately 74%.
For the pivotal pharmacokinetic parameters, there was no significant difference between the fed and fasted state.
While a dose-dependent increase was seen for AUCinf and Cmax at doses up to 40 mg/kg bw, maximum plasma concentrations increased less than proportionally at higher doses (100 mg/kg bw and more). The dose proportionality is limited for afoxolaner due to solubility limited absorption.

In ivermectin sensitive Collies, Cmax was markedly higher at a dose of 25 mg/kg bw compared to studies using Beagles receiving 20 mg/kg bw, 14,000 ยฑ 4,000 ng/ml and 7,690 ยฑ 1,920 ng/ml respectively. Also, afoxolaner appeared to have a longer half-life in Collies (mean of 33 days at a dose of 25 mg/kg bw) than in Beagles. However, there were no serious adverse events observed following the dose of 25 mg/kg bw (i.e. 10x the therapeutic dose) administered to Collie dogs. Using the longest half-life of 47.7 days, and the maximum exposure dose (following recommended use) of 6.3 mg/kg bw, the highest steady state afoxolaner plasma concentrations predicted in Collie dogs would not exceed the maximum exposure (100 mg/kg bw and higher) achieved in toxicology studies in the target animal.
Thanks for doing the research and all that typing. It is appreciated. Sounds like its safe for my Collies.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Colliehauler: after we arrived in Florida last November, (and my dogs played in my bro-in-law's flea-ridden backyard for Thanksgiving) we discovered that Jimmy (Aussie/poodle cross) was allergic to Florida flea bites. When the resulting hives had him chewing himself to pieces, we went to a local Vet, and she recommended Bravecto to kill any fleas on him. Of course we had to dose both dogs, since Ben probably had fleas, too.

They showed no side effects from the Bravecto at all, other than a cessation of scratching. During Christmas, we went back to the bro-in-law's house (with much trepidation, I might add). The first time we let the dogs out to play in the backyard, I notice black bits on Jimmy's back, and assumed it was seeds or something, and just brushed it off. The second time he came back in with about a dozen of these bits, I looked closer - and they were dead fleas!!!

I must admit, there's a part of me that wonders how healthy something can be that lasts for months systemically - but hives are probably much more life-threatening; and fleas certainly make them miserable. I don't use Bravecto here in Michigan - we just don't have as many fleas and for whatever reason, they don't give Jimmy hives. But I WILL pick up another dose-per-dog of Bravecto before we head south next fall.

Regarding Jimmy's flea allergies: yes, even with Bravecto, Jimmy still has to be bitten by a flea for it to die; and after our Christmas visit to the bor-in-law, I recognized the onset of hives and treated him with Benadryl for several days, so he was relatively comfortable. But the Bravecto made sure he only got one flea bite per flea, because they died within minutes. And since my bro-in-law has a cat, they've since been treating their yard with flea-killing nematodes (thank you, Mark!) - so hopefully the number of fleas has been considerably reduced.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I did a google search on +MDR1 (name of mutation for "ivermectin sensitivity") and each of the drug names (+fluralaner and +afoxolaner); the "+" requires these terms to be found in the websites.

Safety of fluralaner (Bravecto), a novel systemic antiparasitic drug, in MDR1(-/-) Collies after oral administration
Walther FM, Paul AJ, Allan MJ, Roepke RK, Nuernberger MC.
Parasit Vectors. 2014 Mar 6;7:86. doi: 10.1186/1756-3305-7-86.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Fluralaner is a novel systemic ectoparasiticide for dogs providing long-acting flea- and tick-control after a single oral dose. This study investigated the safety of oral administration of fluralaner at 3 times the highest expected clinical dose to Multi Drug Resistance Protein 1 (MDR1(-/-)) gene defect Collies.

METHODS:
Sixteen Collies homozygous for the MDR1 deletion mutation were included in the study. Eight Collies received fluralaner chewable tablets once at a dose of 168 mg/kg; eight sham dosed Collies served as controls. All Collies were clinically observed until 28 days following treatment.

RESULTS:
No adverse events were observed subsequent to fluralaner treatment of MDR1(-/-) Collies at three times the highest expected clinical dose.

CONCLUSIONS:
Fluralaner chewable tablets are well tolerated in MDR1(-/-) Collies following oral administration.

CVMP assessment report for NexGard
Pharmacokinetics
The applicant provided pharmacokinetic studies following oral administration in dogs.
Afoxolaner is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. In dogs administered doses varying from 1 to 4 mg/kg bw, Tmax ranged from 2 to 12 hours; the mean Cmax ranged from 538 (1 mg/kg bw) to 2,147 ng/ml (4 mg/kg bw); the mean half-life ranged from 7.7 to 17.8 days; and, the mean AUCinf ranged from 7225 (1.0 mg/kg bw) to 30,107 day?ng/ml (4.0 mg/kg bw). After oral administration of 2.5 mg afoxolaner/kg bw bioavailability was calculated to be approximately 74%.
For the pivotal pharmacokinetic parameters, there was no significant difference between the fed and fasted state.
While a dose-dependent increase was seen for AUCinf and Cmax at doses up to 40 mg/kg bw, maximum plasma concentrations increased less than proportionally at higher doses (100 mg/kg bw and more). The dose proportionality is limited for afoxolaner due to solubility limited absorption.

In ivermectin sensitive Collies, Cmax was markedly higher at a dose of 25 mg/kg bw compared to studies using Beagles receiving 20 mg/kg bw, 14,000 ยฑ 4,000 ng/ml and 7,690 ยฑ 1,920 ng/ml respectively. Also, afoxolaner appeared to have a longer half-life in Collies (mean of 33 days at a dose of 25 mg/kg bw) than in Beagles. However, there were no serious adverse events observed following the dose of 25 mg/kg bw (i.e. 10x the therapeutic dose) administered to Collie dogs. Using the longest half-life of 47.7 days, and the maximum exposure dose (following recommended use) of 6.3 mg/kg bw, the highest steady state afoxolaner plasma concentrations predicted in Collie dogs would not exceed the maximum exposure (100 mg/kg bw and higher) achieved in toxicology studies in the target animal.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I use Nextguard on my dogs, and it works well, even down here in the deep south. However, it is expensive and must be used with caution with dogs prone to seizures. I started using it when Frontline Plus quit working here.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Need to check about the brain barrier on these. Especially with the collies. I look them up by manufacturer and read the "entire" insert on them. You'd be amazed all what important info is in those versus what they tell you in a commercial.
Bravecto:
Apparently there is a facebook page that said 2 dogs had died from it.
http://www.snopes.com/bravecto-flea-and-tick-warning/

Merck addressed it here on their site.
http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/news/2015-06-15.aspx

Scroll down to bottom and click on 'click here' for their PDF on the testing info. appears vomiting and bloody diarrhea is the main symptoms.

Nexguard:
Has a very specific warning about seizures.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nexguard+seizures

Sorry I don't know how to post PDF's.

I almost lost 2 of my dogs when I gave them Sentinel. Both were on life support for a week and did make it. Soooo I don't give topical flea treatments. Just because someone else's dog tolerates it is not a guarantee another dog can.

It's not so much the product as it is if the dog receiving it can tolerate it. The skin is the largest organ on a dog. All these topical are administered thru the skin. IMHO I just will not take the chance ever again on any of my dogs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We used Nexguard on our Cavalier with no side effects. Works well, once in awhile we will find a flea that is about dead.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)