Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: 8th-Grade QB Receives Scholarship Offer from Miami
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> 8th-Grade QB Receives Scholarship Offer from Miami

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/16 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This past season as an 8th grader, Bailey wrapped up a tremendous individual career by helping the Hillgrove Hawks to GMSAA 6A championship by passing for 1,667 yards and rushing for 1,207 and 39 total touchdowns in just eight games. The video game numbers Bailey put up showed that despite now standing 6’3 and 190 pounds, he was more than just a passing QB, but a true dual-threat.

Youth 1 Football

Harrison Bailey on Twitter

5 year old football star

Harrison Bailey at the 2016 FBU Youth All American Game

It looks like he will get many more offers in the next four years in High School.

[image]

game video

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/16 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May he never meet a future Von Miller in a game. There was a reason the Ravens cut Michael Orh.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/16 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a big difference between being tall enough and strong enough and being mature enough. Opposing teams will hate him. His own team mates will hate him. I predict that the linemen on his own team will be throwing a lot of "look out" blocks. That's where they step aside and allow the opposing team's rushers a straight shot while yelling "LOOK OUT!"

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/16 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problem with Miami offering the scholarship. I do have a problem that the rules allow Miami to rescind the offer. I believe that he should be allowed to accept the scholarship regardless of what happens between now and his graduation from high school.

Tom

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/16 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a problem with him being offered a scholarship so young. Too much pressure on a kid that age to decide his entire future. Too much pressure to be 100% all of the time. Can you imagine what will happen if this kid fails or gets injured? Let him be a kid for a while. If he's that good waiting until he hits high school won't be an issue.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/16 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or maybe he will just opt out of high school...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/16 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

I have a problem with him being offered a scholarship so young. Too much pressure on a kid that age to decide his entire future. Too much pressure to be 100% all of the time. Can you imagine what will happen if this kid fails or gets injured? Let him be a kid for a while. If he's that good waiting until he hits high school won't be an issue.

In most states, California and Connecticut have different rules, the scholarship offer is not binding on the University that makes it. If the athlete accepts, it is not binding.

I don't like that recruiting is getting down to the lower grades - now, seventh grade is as low as it can go, and then the contact must be initiated by the student. (There are ways around that rule.) BTW, the early recruitment of athletes is much more prevalent in women's sports, particular soccer, than in men's. The reason is Title IX - Colleges must spend as much on women's athletics as on men's and the talent pool hasn't grown as rapidly as the college programs.

But my point was, if the college offers an athletic scholarship, at any age, then the offer should be binding on the college, as long as the student meets academic requirements. That would be true, if the student becomes injured. I would make it binding, even if the student decides he doesn't want to play anymore. As it is now, an early offer can be withdrawn right up to the signing of the letter of intent in the student's senior year.

I would not change the student's ability to withdraw a commitment.

Tom

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/16 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess he wants to go with the #1 team.

[image]

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/16 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What next - recruiting from the cradle?

Look ma, he kicked his feet at four days, let's git him signed up.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/16 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many 8th grade QBs have you seen play like this ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> 8th-Grade QB Receives Scholarship Offer from Miami
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS