Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stains under/on clear plastic "bra" thing

Joeycockerspani
Explorer
Explorer
Hi y'all,

The manufacturer installed on of those clear, plastic protective "bras," for a lack of a better term, on the front end of my motor home. Now, several years into it, as you can see, I have all sorts of brown stains, either under the coating, or the coating itself. Has anyone had this before? If so, what to do about it? Does that plastic protection come off? If so, how? Will the stains come off with the plastic?

Thanks,
Hank
Hank & Winde
Cumming, GA.
2006 Forest River Charleston
CAT C7
10 REPLIES 10

Joeycockerspani
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, turns out a royal PIA. Turns out the best tool is a plastic spatula! Plastic won't scratch the paint and has rounded edges that won't tear the coating as you work it underneath, breaking it loose.

Thanks for the help!
Hank & Winde
Cumming, GA.
2006 Forest River Charleston
CAT C7

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm convinced this is not a good product for other than the dry western states. It seems that folks with problems are from the Midwest/South.

Ours was on for 11 years and still was perfect when we sold the motorhome. We traveled in the West.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
WE removed ours but would NEVER do it again. We still had to pay someone to remove the last 18" strip at the bottom and have the front repainted. If you decide to remove it yourself: Get a heat gun and some plastic razor blades with holder or we used some plastic paint scrapers. Do not use heat gun on high setting! Use the heat gun to soften the plastic outer coat. Then scrape (carefully so you don't gouge the paint underneath) the outer plastic coat off. Once you have that done (2-3 days all day and sore fingers, hands and arms!) then get Goo Gone from Home Depot, Dollar General etc. You will need 4-5 bottles. Spray the Goo Gone on the adhesive and rub, rub, rub until adhesive is off. Unfortunately no easy way to do it. We decided that we would have paid the $1100 quoted to have someone else do the job!! I would never have that stuff put on another vehicle we own!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem - mold growing under the shield. It looked awful. It's a bear to remove yourself and there is a good chance the paint will be ruined in spots. We had Dazzling Detail remove it. I think the cost was north of $1000. I will never have another 3M shield put on.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
katysdad wrote:
Diamond Shield tech used a wallpaper steamer to heat and soften the film then cleaned up behind it with zylene. The steam will not over heat the film but soften the glue behind it without making the film too weak to pull off in larger pieces.

Previous post Diamond shield removal

X2
The Rep. that replaced mine used a steam gun, heating it and pulling it horizontally to the side vs. 90 degrees from the surface. He removed it in big sheets. When pulling it stretches and lifts from the surface. Seems like it took him between 1-2 hours, but that was 5 years ago and I don't recall the exact time.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond Shield tech used a wallpaper steamer to heat and soften the film then cleaned up behind it with zylene. The steam will not over heat the film but soften the glue behind it without making the film too weak to pull off in larger pieces.

Previous post Diamond shield removal
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
It is the beginning of the end for the film. It will only get worse over time.

Removal is a lot of work. Many procedures have been described on this forum and others. I removed mine this past fall while at Myrtle Beach, working on it when the sun was shining on the front of the coach. I used plastic razor blades to raise and edge then slowly pulled it off in sheets. The adhesive is a bear. I soaked it with mineral spirits, scraped it off, repeat. Once I got all I could get off with the mineral spirits, I wiped it with lacquer thinner to remove the rest. Waxed the paint and it was pristine.

I spend several hours every day for about 5 days to get the stuff off.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Removal and replacement quotes I've heard is around $1000, if the paint isn't damaged on removal. Ours has the mold also and it's getting worse, looks like the front end is bug splattered, except its clean.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 3M protective film, factory installed and what you are seeing is dirt/mold/mildew between it and the factory paint. It does come off, but is a BEAR to remove. My good friend had it on his, he spent several hours a day with plastic razor blades slowly peeling it off and it took him over a week. We tried goof off, and several other chemicals to no avail. I do know that the warmer it is, the easier it is to remove. He parked facing the sun and worked on it in the heat of the day. You could try a hair dryer, but I wouldn't recommend anything hotter like a heat gun.
Good Luck

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same ones on mine. Was gonna post about it myself.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie