cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox 22G

rvdd
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe to tow this trailer with a 1/2 ton? http://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-22g/
16 REPLIES 16

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

The OP has probably moved on after six years and is not still waiting for an answer. Amazing how many users never look at the dates of the posts they are replying to!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

td1837
Explorer II
Explorer II

If at all towing at higher altitudes or mountains, get a diesel, 1/2 tons only work for short hauls or flat land.

That's hilarious. For a 7500lb GVWR trailer, you don't need a diesel by any stretch of the imagination.

The OP needs to know the details as 1/2 ton trucks vary wildly in terms of capability but it's just silly to even suggest a diesel dually is needed. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

you don't but depending what your gas truck is you might be better off.  I had a 8400lb gvw trailer before my fith wheel and I live in the mountians, with my old truck a 1998 1/2ton I would have a hard time going up large hills if I was stopped at the bottom, buy switching to a 1999 f250 diesel , the lack of power was a non issue and I almost doubled my gas milage while towing that trailer.  to me that makes a strong argument for a diesel, now a dually thats a bit of a strech, but now my thinking would almost be to get a 1 ton dualy if it is available and not much more money..  if I would have done that, I woulnt have had to trade my 1999 250 in on a 2014 f250 and now that we have a camper as well as the fith wheel  a dualy would be very nice as the single rear wheel is limiting us on upgrade options.

I always say now if your buying the truck first ...  get the biggest truck you can afford payload wise.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Comparing apples & oranges:

- 1998 F150 stock V8 made a whopping 225hp with around 14mpg combined rating.

- 2023 the base V6 (non-turbo) puts out 290hp. Any of the upgraded engine options are north of 325hp and go upwards of 400hp. The turbo options negate the loss of power at altitude similar to the way a turbo diesel does (it's the turbo not the diesel that keeps the power coming at high altitude). Combined MPG ratings upwards of 20-21mpg.

You are making a comparison for a quarter century ago that doesn't really apply. Modern gas engines make the old ones look anemic. Yeah if you get into big 15-20k 5ers, diesel starts making a lot of sense but small to medium size bumper pull trailers, it's just silly to suggest it's requirement.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CodaBlue
Explorer
Explorer

2022 F-150 5.0 with max tow PKG. From Oregon to Georgia via north route. Will NOT be going through Rockies, Smokies, or Sierras. Pulls fine. Lots of shifting on hills even in TOW HAUL mode. 

@CodaBlue wrote:

2022 F-150 5.0 with max tow PKG. From Oregon to Georgia via north route. Will NOT be going through Rockies, Smokies, or Sierras. Pulls fine. Lots of shifting on hills even in TOW HAUL mode. 

This thread was over 6 years old, hopefully the OP had it figured out by now.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

FDAER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 AF 22G. I tow with a Toyota Tundra with no problem.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2019 GMC 2500 SLT All Terrain 4x4

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We need your trucks year model....GVWR....RAWR...engine size.......gear ratio. Without these we can only guess.

Ford markets around 15 different gvwr packages from a measly 6500 on up to 8200 lbs.
And about 5 different RAWR packages fron a tiny 3300 lbs up to 4800 lbs.

The trailer shows to have a 7500 gvwr and a 5215 dry weight. There are some F150 that can tow that size trailers and some don't have the rawr to carry all the weight on the rear axle/in the bed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvdd wrote:
F-150, SuperCab, 6.5' bed.

Tow vehicles are not all created alike. IE: Not all F150's have the same payload (carrying capacity) and towing capacities. The same goes for any other year/make/model. Doesn't matter if it's 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton. Each individual truck has it's own capacities / ratings based on it's power train, drive train (2WD or 4WD), cab configuration (single, extended, crewcab), suspension, axles, tires, brakes, etc. You could see two F150's, side by side, one with as little as 750 lbs payload with 5000 lb tow capacity, and one with 3000 lbs payload with 11,000 lb tow capacity.

Your F150 has a tire / loading sticker on or around the drivers door / door post. It will have a number for max occupant / cargo weight. That is your payload (as the vehicle was configured when it left the factory).

When matching a tow vehicle and trailer, you also need to factor in weight you will be carrying in, or on the tow vehicle. Aftermarket accessories, passengers, pets, cargo, all take away from your available payload and tow capacity. A weight distributing hitch, and trailer tongue weight count as cargo weight.

The average camping load (dishes, pots and pans, utensil, bedding, BBQ, camp chairs, groceries, water, etc) is about 1000 lbs. This, added to the trailer's dry weight is it's loaded weight.

Average tongue weight is 12 - 13 percent of loaded trailer weight.

Here's a link to a calculator. You can input your specific numbers to see how well your trailer matches up.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You would be fine IF you get the Max Trailer package. It'll give you a bit more payload. The Eco 3.5 would be plenty to tow it. Me personally I'd want the Super Crew 6.5.

Max Trailer Package
Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranchยฎ, and Platinum models.

Includes:
โ€ข 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
โ€ข 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
โ€ข 36 Gallon fuel tank
โ€ข Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
โ€ข Engine oil cooler
โ€ข Class IV trailer hitch receiver
โ€ข Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
โ€ข Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
โ€ข Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
โ€ข Upgraded front stabilizer bar
โ€ข Upgraded rear bumper

Requires 3.5L EcoBoostยฎ engine.
Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max GCWR/Max Tow achieved on SuperCrewยฎ when equipped with 20-inch Wheels. This configuration will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear, and upgraded stabilizer bar.

rvdd
Explorer
Explorer
Would be buying new so don't have details yet. Just looking in general for tow capacity and length.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be fine. I towed a 1998 Nash (same mfg, just not as much insulation) 22H for several years and loved it. My Tundra was a perfect match for that trailer. Weights are about the same between the 22H and the 22G. Figure about 900 lbs of tongue weight when fully loaded... maybe a little more because the sofa/Murphy bed is closer to the front in yours. Figure another 75 lbs for a good weight distribution hitch and you are looking at eating up about 1000 lbs of payload. In most half tons, that should leave you with 500-800 lbs left over for passengers and gear in the truck.

My 22H had a HUGE storage area up front under the bed, so we rarely had to carry much gear in the truck... usually bikes and firewood only.

Looks like a really nice floorplan and certainly a high quality trailer! Enjoy!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rvdd wrote:
F-150, SuperCab, 6.5' bed.

How about year, powertrain, tow package, GVWR?