cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OBD 2 Reader

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to get a new OBD 2 reader for our 2016 Ford F-250 truck. Any recommendations? TIA!
Sorry, our truck is a diesel.
12 REPLIES 12

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
dbob62180 wrote:
Thank you all! Yes, I should have said our Ford truck is diesel. Love the idea of the app for my phone. Will it work for a diesel truck?

BlueDriver does not work for the 7.3 Powerstroke, otherwise it should be okay. I got that from the FAQ on the company website.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
Get a USB or Bluetooth reader off of Amazon and the free app FORScan for your laptop. You can actually go in to the computer and change things on the truck. For example, if you want daytime running lights, or don't want them. Fog lights on with brights or not. Edit tire sizes and more.

You can get FORScan for your tablet or phone and you will need a bluetooth scan tool, but I'm not sure how much customization that route offers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://forscan.org/
2017 Montana 3950BR

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all! Yes, I should have said our Ford truck is diesel. Love the idea of the app for my phone. Will it work for a diesel truck?

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking into getting a code reader as well. Here's a page which review some top OBD II readers costing below $100. It also lists their capabilities. The more inexpensive scanners will require purchasing an app for $5 - $10. Some only work with android phones, while others are cross-platform. Some readers require an additional purchase from the manufacturer to unlock codes for a specific make. There are generic codes and manufacturer specific codes. The more expensive ones can read the both, while the cheaper ones mostly read just the generic. There are some good reviews on YouTube as well if you search around. I'm considering Bluedriver since it works on most Diesel engines. I still need to look into it more.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Warning: most readers will not read Diesel engine error codes. You need one, not cheap, designed to do it.

Maybe like this one: Link

But I didn't see diesel engines mentioned in their description. This one for example warns it can only read some diesel truck codes: link 2

This is the one I've read that does work but you have to buy the correct manufacturers data pack when you buy the scanner
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an IPhone and use Dash Command. works great and tells you more than you`ll need to know!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
Gas or diesel? Those are two different animals when it comes to OBD readers. For diesel, Auto Enginuity is what I've used for my old 7.3. A bit pricey, but tells you about 10x more information than a regular OBD2 reader.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a cheap one at AutoZone when they first came out, years ago. It's the one I still use. I have fixed a whole lot of broke cars and trucks using that thing to diagnose. Unless you need to toss out extra cash you don't need the one made for NORAD. Just go to Harbor Freight and get one. Even the very basic ones read and clear codes. The codes are universal to all vehicles so, for the average guy at home a basic code reader will probably do everything you ever need to do. An EGR code is an EGR code (etc..) be it Volvo or Chevrolet.

thebat68
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Yes. An OBD2 bluetooth adapter from amazon, and an app for a smart phone. If you're an android guy, the torque app is the way to go. All in, under $20.

X3 for this one, it's what I use. You can read codes, clear them and do a lot of other things with it if you really wanted to get into it. But it's cheap and works with any modern vehicle.
2009 25' Forest River XLR Lite Toy Hauler
2007 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT 5.4
Anderson Hitch System
'04 & '06 Daughters.
RV'ing or Camping in one form or another all my life.:C

Whatchaupto
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the BAFX Products OBD II reader for $21.99 and the Diageng extension cable for $7.90, both from Amazon. I can highly recommend this reader due to the great BAFX customer support.
'12 Ram 2500 6.7L Reg Cab
'17 Northwood 246RKS
'73 Honda CT90
'11 Polaris RZR
'03 Jeep Wrangler

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Yes. An OBD2 bluetooth adapter from amazon, and an app for a smart phone. If you're an android guy, the torque app is the way to go. All in, under $20.

X2

And you can use it in any car.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV