cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Jack has stopped working

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything I might be missing? The fuse is good. The light on the jack works. The camper is plugged in. It worked fine prior to winterizing and sitting through the off season. Every once in a while I'll try it and it sounds like it's trying to go...but only for a half a second?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a limit switch fail, the jack would operate one direction but not the other. It was about a $4 part.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
The motor on our tongue jack failed last fall (as well as the lights on it) and we thought we needed a new one. Took it to a local dealer, who checked the electrical connections & found we needed a new circuit breaker. Fairly simple fix and lots less expensive than a new jack!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonna have to wait until later. I need a really long and really thin screwdriver to open it up. Don't have anything that' size with me.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stopped working and called the manufacturer...barker ,i think, and they sent me a new switch ,n/c . That was it ....easy fix. Try calling
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're checking in as I type this. Once we're set up I'll dig into it a little. Thanks for the suggestions.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the ground connection. If it's via the mounting screws to the frame, the lights may work due to the small current but under motor load may not work. Loose screws and/or corrosion from sitting over the winter could result in a poor ground connection.

Might also consider a bad mini-breaker in the A-frame. Same thing, may be faulty and not work under high current draw. I would access the power wire to the jack and use a jumper cable or piece of wire directly to the battery pos. terminal and see what happens. If no improvement, try bypassing the switch with the jumper cable or piece of wire. Could also temporarily jumper across the mini-breaker and see what happens. If it's the breaker, they're pretty inexpensive and def. much cheaper than a new jack...

Last season, the day before we were due to go on our first camping trip of the year, our tongue jack also would not work. Even a breaker bar would not budge it. Luckily I had an old one in the shed that I was able to use.

Out of curiosity, what brand of jack and how old?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The switch gets wet and this is how it sounds. Uncover the head take a hair dryer to the switch. After it is dry internally make sure the ground is rust free. It should work fine.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing lasts forever, you included.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Good chance the motor is burned out.

Yeah. If that's the case just have to replace the entire thing?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Good chance the motor is burned out.

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can manually crank it just fine. It's hard to imagine that it's a grease issue.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
When I first bought mine my Cousin told me to take it apart and grease it really good, He said his was real slow until he did that. I greased mine as he advised, I got to thinking and the other day I drill a hole, tapped it, and screwed a grease fitting into the hole now I can give it a shot of grease every once in a while without taking it apart periodically to grease it.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know but can you crank it a few turns to loosen it up?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)