cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a hand pump siphon to winterize?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new TT has a hard to reach water pump. Anyone ever use a hand pump to pump antifreeze into the city water connection? If so, can you recommend one that possibly has a garden hose connection with it?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the expanding on the issue, and how you dealt with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I would caution those that pour anti-freeze in the fresh water tank if they don't know how much plain water is in the tank that the pump cannot pick up. In my case. the tank sagging between supports and the pump pick up port being well above the tank bottom, there was gallons of water remaining. With the dilution, wasted anti-freeze and considerable flushing in the Spring, it is a poor way to winterize.
How did you get around the issue? Or was there even an issue since there was plenty of room for the water to expand?

I added more support under the tank and moved the pump pickup to the drain hose. If one knows that the tank is perfectly flat and level in both planes, and the pump will pull nearly all the anti-freeze from the tank, then I would accept this method. I send the anti-freeze in thru city water port.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
***Yes, a 3-way valve makes this necessary chore SO SIMPLE and quick.***

I have only read of these things...pump and tank located under a sleeper sofa and haven't found any quick removal mechanism to get in and plumb up some sort of antifreeze hook up.

My camper didn't even have a hot water by-pass.

After I installed the HW bypass, the hand pump is awfully darn adequate.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I would caution those that pour anti-freeze in the fresh water tank if they don't know how much plain water is in the tank that the pump cannot pick up. In my case. the tank sagging between supports and the pump pick up port being well above the tank bottom, there was gallons of water remaining. With the dilution, wasted anti-freeze and considerable flushing in the Spring, it is a poor way to winterize.
Yep, it certainly isn't the best way. As you pointed out, most fresh water tanks don't lay perfectly flat and can cause problems. It also requires more anti-freeze before the pump will start pulling it from the tank.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

I can see my entire fresh water tank as it is mounted upright in the back. Nowadays many are under the bed in full view. And in both cases have low point drains leaving no water at the bottom.

Real sorry to hear your tank is defective and sagging between supports and leaves water at the bottom. ๐Ÿ˜ž

But you defective tank does not equate to the fact that others should be told it is a poor way to winterize. To each his own. Whatever works for you!!:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
How did you get around the issue? Or was there even an issue since there was plenty of room for the water to expand?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I winterize by adding anti-freeze to the fresh water tank. And pump thru lines this IMHO, JMHO insures me that the antifreeze gets completely into my water pump. The one year I did not do it this way the following spring I had to replace the water pump. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That all said. This is what I finally found to get antifreeze in a pesky placed water inlet.

It bends in all ways will add water even in a 45 degree angle! AND expands and contracts to just about any length configuration you need. Then held upright and pour away.

Couple of bucks at walmart in automotive department.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Cougarnewbie wrote:
Installed the inline kit at the pump with the three way valve. Turn the valve. Hose in the bottle of Anti-freeze, Turn on the pump. Used just over 2 gallons. If I was careful I could do it with less. I just like to be certain I pushed out all of the water.

The OP has a pump that's hard to get at. As we looked at RVs (specifically small Class Cs) last year, I began to notice a trend towards making the pump difficult, if not impossible, to access for winterizing. Which is STUPID since more than half of the USA and certainly Canada, have climates that require RV winterization.

Our old Class C had the water pump right at the freshwater tank, easily accessible from an outside basement door. Yes, a 3-way valve makes this necessary chore SO SIMPLE and quick.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the inline kit at the pump with the three way valve. Turn the valve. Hose in the bottle of Anti-freeze, Turn on the pump. Used just over 2 gallons. If I was careful I could do it with less. I just like to be certain I pushed out all of the water.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used a manual pump to push anti-freeze thru the city water port.

You could winterize the whole unit this way if you wanted to.

Don't forget the exterior water quick connections! Those REQUIRE pressure to force the water out.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
A hand pump is not exclusive to RV's. Any auto parts store will have tons of types of hand pumps as will all the big box stores.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a funnel. Works well and cheap too.

Whoops, misread about the city water port, I was thinking of fresh water port. Sorry.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
acritzer wrote:
Anyone other than Camping World sell it?

Most RV dealers sell these in their parts dept.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380