cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone ever install an R.O. in their RV?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Due to poor water quality in our area (well most areas) we have an under the sink RO in the stix and brix. Currently our trips are confined to a week here and there and we get by with a 5 gal jug filled with RO from the house. As we transition to Part-timing and eventually full timing, seems like it would make sense to install an RO. For those that have, did you install under the sink? Pretty limited room there and I have thought about installing it in a bin. Did you go with a smaller tank to save space? What do you do about waste water? I was thinking of plumbing the waste line to just drop in the ground, fill the FW - or use a shut off valve on the supply side to keep it from running too much. A little bit of a balancing act though and diligence and risk if you forget to shut it off. Of course it only produces waste water if while the unit replenishes. Maybe there is an RV specific RO unit I am not aware of.   I've looked at table top units but I want something a bit more installed to limit counter space. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
10 REPLIES 10

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Excellent point on the rejection/waste water and one of my biggest concerns. I thought about running a valve to be able to change the rejection water to the FW tank or dump on the ground but that would require diligent monitoring so the FW doesn't overfill. A re-circulation pump would be power draw difficult to measure and control.

myself, I would go with something like this or you could just get the genaric filter housings like I did and build your own set up.  I went with 4 stages but two are just carbon blocks

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

@StirCrazy wrote:

myself, I would go with something like this or you could just get the genaric filter housings like I did and build your own set up.  I went with 4 stages but two are just carbon blocks

I would not buy anything from this company. They do not even tell us what is in each filter except for the 0.2-micron filter. The unit is extremely overpriced. 

A deionizer cartridge and carbon filter would fit in 1/3 of the space. The 0.2-micron filter is a nice feature but may cut down considerably the flow rate. No mention of volume or flowrate information, or how long the cartridges last, We would have to be crazy to purchase this unit.

๐Ÿ˜•

on

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

not the spicific company, and like I said you could buy the genaric filter housings and addemble it your self using off the shelf filters for about 1/3rd the price of that.

it's the style I am talking about, 3 or 4 stage filtration.  and if you have a lick of salt in what your doing a 0.2 micron wont slow the flow down at all, and is actualy very important or your carbon blocks won't last long at all.  you can add a deionizing cartrage as one of your filters but for drinking water your throwing a bit of cash out the window for trace salt removal, the carbon block and 0.2 micron are the two impirtant ones but ya deioniziing filters won't hurt.  I used to run them after my RO membranes as I wanted to make ultra pure water 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I'll check it out. Thanks!

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I had one of the very first Reverse Osmosis units used in the hospital industry way back in the late sixties. 

I had to install it myself. The first units ran at 250 lb. per square inch pressure. and had a rejection rate of 10 to 1.

You are more or less creating salt water rejected from the system, but you create ultra-pure water. A real over-kill here. A deionizer column and a carbon filter will work fine for drinking water with no water rejected. This is easy to find and install in an RV. ๐Ÿ˜

I'll have to do some research on the de-ionizer. Always had RO systems as they are the only way to remove some of the pharma pollutants in this particular area (Gen X). But for travelling it may be overkill. Thanks!

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I would think the easiest and cheapest way would be to just bring another 5-gallon jug of RO water.

It may be a long time before we see a RO water unit in any RV.

I hear you. I have been known to create a solution in search of a problem. An extra jug would work for an extra week, but as we start part timing for a month or more at a time that wouldn't be enough. Some grocery stores do have RO fill stations so that's a possible solution. But an RO system that's about the same size as a 5 gal jug tucked away in a bin would eliminate having to lug the jug and taking up floor or counter space and be a one and done solution. I've seen a few videos of folks doing what I am thinking and I may be over complicating it. 

the problem with RO is the rejection rate and the rate at what it produces water.  I have a high pressure system at home that can put out a very high amount of water per day as it uses a high pressure pump.  I used to have this for my salt water aquariums,  but at a 4 or 5 - 1 rejection rate its a big water wast.  is it something that can be done with a 3 stage filter instead of RO?  or the grocewry water fillers are good also if you can time it to hit one on the way by.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100