cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight distribution

samandjohn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, just bought my first new toy hauler. I plan on hauling my side by side in the back. I have weight distribution bars and sway bars on a 2 5/16 hitch. Dry weight is 5262 and GVWR is 7,668. This gives me a cargo weight of 2,406. Side by side weighs 1700 lbs. This is my first toy hauler and want to make sure I’m getting the weight and balance correct. Any suggestions for this new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Cat scales are your savior. Read up on how to get different weight sets and then try them with various loading patterns of truck and trailer.

The operator will usually tell you when the slack times are so you can mess with them without blocking truckers.

Google "Cat Scales near me".

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That’s a big buggy for such a small Toyhauler.
Your setup/needs will be quite different hauling the sxs or empty trailer.
It’ll likely have considerably less tongue weight with the buggy loaded in nose first.
We can’t “set it up” for you. Load the buggy in and all your “stuff” and water in the tank etc and see how she pulls. Adjust buggy or truck setup after you actually have a full trailer.
Your not gonna have much adjustment aside from loading it in forward or backwards though.
Especially since I can glean that at 1700lbs (another mfg dry weight likely) it’s likely a big 4 seater or a big utility sxs.

Not knowing what the “mfg” tongue weight is, model of camper or what kind of truck you’re using makes this a very open ended question.
And as vague and unsure as you sound in your question, you kinda won’t understand recommendations until you at least have a feel for how heavy/tongue weight/how it handles, first.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would weigh the trailer to get the actual weight.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Plan to travel light as you only have 700lb of cargo capacity after loading the toy.

Don't forget some basic stuff counts against your payload:
- 2 - 30# propane tanks - 110#
- 1 battery at 50lb
- 20gal of water (not full - enough to do a bathroom stop), 150lbs

That leaves you with only 400lb to cover food, drink, clothes, camp chairs, etc...you would be surprised how fast it adds up.

Also, what is the truck specs? Toy haulers tend to be hitch heavy (not a bad thing). A lot of 1/2 ton trucks have pretty pitiful payload capacities and he hitch weight counts against that. We have a similar size only loaded to 6900lb (scaled weight) an the hitch weight is north of 900lb.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer