cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A solution to watch movies on TV with no DVD or wifi needed

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought software from www.playon.tv which allows you to actually record streaming movies or TV from Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and many other stations. I transferred the movies to a USB flash drive and can watch them on our TV which has a USB port. You can also transfer them to a newer iPod touch and connect to TV with appropriate composite cable. It works great and we are thrilled! Cost very little, easy to copy and their customer support is awesome. They helped me every step of the way. The only thing you need is fast internet...I load them up at work, pause recording then remotely access my work computer from home at night and tape on work's high speed broadband connection. Too slow at home on our DSL. Good luck if you try it!

Pam in VA
2008 Winnebago View
37 REPLIES 37

MrWizard
Time to close this one
It has gone around the table three times
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Barefoot14

There were a few who referred to you as "he", in spite of your signature. That should give you a clue about... well, many things here at rv dot net.

PS Reminder: No good deed goes unpunished.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes - 0, barefoot14 - 3
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to correct toedtoes, I am a "She" not a "He". And yes, I bought a lifetime right to this software and am making copies of as many movies as possible while it is "still legal."

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
dewey02 wrote:
Might as well give up the argument, but not because you are wrong.
But because people will do what they want to do, and then try to justify their actions by stretching the truth to fit their situation and to silence their conscience.

Very true.

I don't really give a******what the OP does. What I take issue with is that he's promoting something to others as "completely legal" when oit isn't. Readers should be informed that this is NOT perectly legal so that they can make an informed choice rather than blindly following someone who is misrepresenting the truth.

And yes of course because I come to California, I MUST be in the movie business...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Might as well give up the argument, but not because you are wrong.
But because people will do what they want to do, and then try to justify their actions by stretching the truth to fit their situation and to silence their conscience.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
@toedtoes: I understand what you're saying about Netflix TOS but I think you're trying to push the same rope that drives the LT vs. ST tires discussion.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
So you're pirating movies AND using your work internet against policy...
Would expect a comment like that from Calif. :R You must work for a movie studio or recording company.

Not many of us feel too sorry for actors who make $14 million for 2 weeks work. They try to squeeze every penny out of the public by twisting the arms of the left wing liberal politicians they support to write ridiculous laws.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:

Great find on this new PlayLater option! It's a great option for those of us with streaming accounts to minimize data use while traveling! Thank you for posting it here and don't hesitate to use it as you are.

Toedtoes:
Give it up already! You're fighting a losing battle here. As long as the recording is not distributed to others and used only for the Netflix account holder's viewing pleasure, there is nothing illegal about it. You must have something better to do than argue this ridiculous point further????
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
Unbelievable. We travel - we are not home to watch streaming movies. Time shift the watching.

Personally, I was very happy to hear about this and I will definitely use it. We haven't had control over when we watch content since the VCR days. (We don't do cable or have a DVR.)

Thank you very much for telling us about this barefoot14! ๐Ÿ™‚

But when you subscribe to Netflix, you are not subscribing to a station (like HBO) - you are subscribing to the streaming. If you don't have internet access, then you don't use Netflix to watch - period.

If you have cable and are paying for HBO - and HBO airs Gravity on November 23rd at 8 p.m., but you won't be home then, you can use this software to record the movie and watch it the next day - Time Shifting - because you were unable to watch it at the time it aired.

But Netflix does not air Gravity at a certain time on a certain day. Therefore, there is no need to Time Shift. You can watch it via the streaming service any time you want.

The fact that you don't have internet access when you're at an RV Park does not meet the Time Shifting parameters - Netflix provides content via streaming only - no internet, no streaming, no Netflix movies.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MrWizard
playlater and similar software
Records the video while it is Streaming
it IS "real time" recording..exactly like VCR or DVR..but it is on the PC instead of a separate device

you are still paying your Netflix etc.. monthly subscription
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Unbelievable. We travel - we are not home to watch streaming movies. Time shift the watching.

Personally, I was very happy to hear about this and I will definitely use it. We haven't had control over when we watch content since the VCR days. (We don't do cable or have a DVR.)

Thank you very much for telling us about this barefoot14! ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
If he's reselling or giving away the material he's recording, he's pirating. If he's time shifting for personal use only, it's perfectly legal. He's not "renting" Netflix movies. He pays a monthly subscription to access their database of material.

It's no different than me recording a show off HBO to watch at my convenience.

toedtoes wrote:
No I wasn't being funny. Recording movies off of Netflix is pirating. It's the same as video taping a movie at the theatre.

If you want to do this, that's fine - but don't suggest that it is perfectly legal (at least not in the manner you have promoted it).

Recording over the air shows is legal - recording rental shows is not.

I am not arguing either way but this is what Netflix TOS says.

"The Netflix service, and any content viewed through our service, are for your personal and non-commercial use only. During your Netflix membership, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, license to access the Netflix service and view movies and TV shows through the service on a streaming-only basis for that purpose. Except for the foregoing limited license, no right, title or interest shall be transferred to you. You agree not to use the service for public performances."

Note, it says streaming only.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
barefoot14 wrote:
Sorry for the confusion! This software is perfectly LEGAL, I paid for it, it has GREAT reviews online. I stream movies onto my computer using high speed internet then copy and paste to a USB flash drive to watch on my USB-enabled TV in our RV.

If anyone thinks this is not legal, go to the company's website and read about it. Also research the reviews online. Every movie I copy has my email address and that I own LEGALLY paid for software to make a copy for my personal use.

Sorry you misunderstood, I was trying to be helpful to the community. Guess I'll keep my great discoveries to myself from now on. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That's the Internet for you. I sometime I make a post thinking I was being helpful and end up being the chump. Hard to show true intintions on the keyboard with out making your post two pages long, and then you get criticized at that. Still fun contributing though.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS