cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaf Springs gone bad on my 2009 Four Winds 28A

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
After our most recent trip last month, my 2009 Four Winds Majestic (former Cruise America rental) developed a noticeable lean to the driver's side when you stand behind it. I could also feel it when driving down the road and especially turning to the right as it would lean more.

Today I took it in to get the tires rotated and balanced and asked them to check the leaning issue. They told me it's the leaf springs. So now I need to shop around for best price. There's two local shops here that are both telling me to come in and they'll check it out and give me an estimate.

I'd like to have a sense of what the cost would be before taking it in. Any advice appreciated. It's a 29 footer on a Ford E450 chassis.
10 REPLIES 10

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have air bags then you may have lost pressure in the left one. If not maybe you have only just started noticing slight differences in your rig. Have you ever weighed the corner weights to determine how heavy the left side is compared to the right?

I had a 32ft Class A once that leaned left due to big slides and such. I added one long extra leaf in the left spring pack and brought it back to an acceptable state. I doubt you need a complete spring pack. If indeed you do have a broken leaf, and it does happen, you would only need to replace the broken leaf.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highly doubtful that you need springs. If it is leaning to the left, take it out on the road and turn it tightly to the left. The lean will go away, I promise.

Don't forget, you have a lot of extra weight on the left side...generator, water heater, furnace, waste tanks, galley, toilet room, dinette, etc.

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tip on Deaver, guys. I'm happy to hang out by the beach for the day so save some serious $$. I'm calling them tomorrow.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I think for my (smaller) rig it was $600? They were able to give me a price over the phone.

It's a one day job. If you like, they can drop you downtown or at the beach or whetever and pick you up when done. That is part of their routine.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You're only 55 miles from Deaver in Santa Anna. I think they are probably your best bet by far. Just give them a call and talk to them.

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info and tips everyone. What type of cost range would you estimate I should expect to pay if I take it to one of the local shops here? The sense I've gotten so far was around $2,000. I'm hoping for less than that. I'm pretty handy with tools but not comfortable doing this type of job so would definitely need to hire someone for the labor.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in Socal, I asked around and everyone said Deaver Spring. For the cost of SDTruck springs (parts only) they built and installed for me custom leaf springs, tuned to my loaded rig. I highly recommend them!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
We have the 11-leaf spring packs and I found them on SDTruckSprings for $284 each on sale. They'll probably recommend new U-Bolts that could easily add another $50.

X2 on this company if you can find a friend and yourself to do the work. I bought from them (upgraded my stack to 1 ton) and wife and I did the work, though I have shop tools/impact tools. Other quotes I got for a company to do the work ranged from $2000.00 + (Chevy) to as low as $400.00 per side for a rebend (local shop). These are for pickup.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Are you certain the lean was not always there? Some motor home manufactures install spacers on the lower/heavier corner to compensate for a naturally imbalanced load, commonly caused with multiple slide outs all placed on one side of the rig. But even slideless rigs can have a lean. Being a former rental, maybe that was just not a priority when the rig was being made.

Maybe your springs are fine. Maybe you need spacers and heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars. New springs might yield the same lean.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 11-leaf spring packs and I found them on SDTruckSprings for $284 each on sale. They'll probably recommend new U-Bolts that could easily add another $50.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB