cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batteries in the winter

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, so another battery question. The motor home I may buy next week has 2 12 volt batteries in it, not that that makes a difference in my question. I will be storing my unit at home and have a pedestal with 30 amp service.(It was installed when a previous trailer was 30 amp). Over the winter I have some options. Should I leave the MH plugged in all winter and the batteries connected. If I do this, I have a new Battery Minder (not a battery tender that only trickle charges) that keeps the batteries from sulfating---should I attach that to the batteries too or or should I disconnect the batteries, and just use the battery minder. And if I do that, can I leave them in the rig or should I bring them in the house. I am thinking I should bring them in and use the battery minder.
I am open to suggestions. Thanks all.
16 REPLIES 16

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

Just to give another point of reference, I leave all eight (8) batteries in the coach (onboard smart charger/inverter) and it is always plugged in, year-round.  No issues I can attribute to that practice.

trailmeisterjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I added a Charge Wizzard to the system and it automatically monitors battery health and regularly desulphates them too. RV is pluged in always and have had zero issues for years. My last 4 trojan 6 volts lasted 12 years.
'99 rexhall rexair with 2 slides 32 ft

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Turn off your battety disconnect and just leave the batteries in the MH. No nred for a charger as there is no discharge. If they won't hold a charge all winter disconnected they need replacing.

I consider this to be incorrect information as they can loose up to 5% charge per month.

Here;s the chart I trot out, from "Battery University" when the subject comes up:

https://batteryuniversity.com/img/content/storage-web-corrected.jpg

As one can see, the colder the average temp, the longer they can be left before self discharge is a concern. Over the winter in the north, no issue. I'd think hard about long term over the summer in Texas or Arizona, however...
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great information from all of you. wa8yxm---loved the last line in your post. The motorhome I may be buying next week is a 2019 so I am sure it is a better converter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leave it plugged in? Depends on your converter. MOST modern converters you can do that safely.

Some older (Kind of last century) not such a good idea.

Disconnect when fully charged.. Usually save and by disconnect I mean Disconnect physically at the battery not the USE/STORE or other switch but physically break the connection.

Tender.. that's a good option if you have one of those older battery killer converters.

Fully charged battery is good to around the point where you need not ask C or F.. that's -40 in case you wonder.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Turn off your battety disconnect and just leave the batteries in the MH. No nred for a charger as there is no discharge. If they won't hold a charge all winter disconnected they need replacing.

I consider this to be incorrect information as they can loose up to 5% charge per month.

How much damage is done, at what % of charge? And how long is winter?
By my limited math skills that would mean still over 80% after 4 months.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a couple collector cars, and for years, all I do is disconnect the positive cable for winter storage in Wisconsin. No charging or special treatment or heated garage. Reconnect them in the spring and crank em up. Never a problem and those batteries last for years and years.
My fifth wheel has solar, so it all stays connected year round.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Latner wrote:
bgum wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

Big temperature shift from South Louisiana and Michigan this time of year. Temperature affects how fast a battery discharges, faster in warm weather, slower in cold weather. My boat sits in Michigan from Oct. to April with the battery sitting in it just disconnected, never a problem.

Never thought to look where he is located. Right you are. If I did that I would have to buy new batteries every year.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

Big temperature shift from South Louisiana and Michigan this time of year. Temperature affects how fast a battery discharges, faster in warm weather, slower in cold weather. My boat sits in Michigan from Oct. to April with the battery sitting in it just disconnected, never a problem.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
There is no reason to remove the batteries for winter. If you have a smart charger/inverter then just plug in and check the water once or twice during the winter. If you only have a one stare charger, put a timer on its power cord and set it for 2 hours a day.
My coach is plugged in during the winter and the batteries only come out when needing to be changed. Kip It Simple..........

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I would keep them plugged to shore power so that they are fully charged. I think (?) SULFATING only happen if less than fully charged and high temp
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my rv sit,s in a pole bldg coach plugged in eng battery on a tender,do nothing with coach batteries. meter says 13.3 thats ok with me.