cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Head Room Help

scidlik
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All! I am new to the forum but not new to RVing. I currently have a TT. I am looking at 5ers and have a lot of concerns with the head room in the raised portion of the camper. I am 6'8" tall, I know pretty tall! The only brand I have found to have enough head room is the Cedar Creek. It is 6'9". Does anyone know what brands or models have at least 6'9" in the raised portion? I don't want to offend anyone but a comment like "my husband is tall and he has plenty of room" will not help me any. I would really like to have the measured height. What makes it worse is that I cannot find this spec in the literature. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

rscottkelly
Explorer
Explorer

I am 6'7" and we went with the Brinkley Z3100.  It is 6'7" in the upper deck.  I can sympathize with you.  Columbus has an 84" ceiling height but the reviews are not great.  Good luck!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm a compact 6'3". Our bedroom / bathroom is 6'5". Lowest spot is in the garage under the loft bed - 6'3".

Whatever you do, don't get a rig with tiny slideouts. I've visited many people who have tiny 6' slides and I have clobbered myself while getting up uncountable times. My slideouts are galley and bedroom closet where height doesn't matter; LR slideout is 8'.

Voltage 3950.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Jayco North Point and Pinnacle have about 6โ€™ 10โ€ at center of master bedroom and about 6โ€™ 6โ€at the perimeter and in shower. The headroom was one of the main reasons I bought one, I am 6โ€™ 5โ€. Jayco uses an arched roof on these models.

What I could not figure out is how they were able to accomplish that headroom while maxing out at 13โ€™ 6โ€ exterior. I walked into dozens of โ€œfull heightโ€ 5ers at the Hershey show, and even though they were rated at 13โ€™ 6โ€exterior, all the ones using a flat roof design were not much taller than 6โ€™ 5โ€ in the master. Jayco is 0-100 degree rated, so their roof insulation thickness is among the best, so itโ€™s not due to a thinner roof system.

Anyway, Jayco top end 5ers are generous with their inside height.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

sunnymom
Explorer
Explorer
I sent a PM to orig poster of this topic but thought I'd post here also for the tall people ๐Ÿ™‚
My husband is 6'8 1/2" and we almost gave up on getting a 5th wheel because of the height issue. However, yesterday we looked at the Jayco North Point 5th wheels and he could FULLY stand straight up everywhere (except door jams) and it was so AWESOME! Our dream of owning a 5th wheel is now possible..... The front living room model was the same way nice and tall. We looked at all the FW at RV show and this was the 1st one so hopefully the rest of the other RV builders will follow. Happy travels!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 Hurricane 30Q
2007 CR-V Toad

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
scidlik wrote:
A queen and king bed are both 80" long. Just because a king is wider does not make it any longer.

Many, if not most, RV mattresses are only 75" long. Both king and queen versions. Something to add to your shopping list.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diangle comes to mind!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

scidlik
Explorer II
Explorer II
A queen and king bed are both 80" long. Just because a king is wider does not make it any longer.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
scidlik wrote:
I am not wanting the garage of a toy hauler. So far I have been seeing 5'ers with a basement garage for one bike listed in their fifth wheel models. Today I found a Jayco North Point 385THWS that is not out yet but may be 6'10" on the upper deck.

6'8" and a queen bed? Do you sleep by yourself? I am 6'3-4" and hate smaller queen beds.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

scidlik
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not wanting the garage of a toy hauler. So far I have been seeing 5'ers with a basement garage for one bike listed in their fifth wheel models. Today I found a Jayco North Point 385THWS that is not out yet but may be 6'10" on the upper deck.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
scidlik wrote:
I look forward to everyone's comments. I am looking at mostly front living due to wanting the bathroom and shower in the rear (taller area). I agree that I don't need extra room but if I am spending 60k plus I would like to be able to stand up. I haven't even brought up the fact yet that I have a Harley and want to be able to haul it. I am not wanting the full garage as in most toy haulers. I am very intrigued with the GD Momentum 476TH. I put a call in them today to find out about headroom.

Now you have provided additional info the changes the whole issue. You should ask mods to move this to the tow hauler forum area.

Find a XLS Thunderbolt 385amp. King size Murphy bed in the garage with front living room. Chris

http://www.forestriverinc.com/toy-haulers/xlr-thunderbolt

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I am 6'8" and have been RV'ing for about 14 years. I have been to countless RV shows, including Hershey, and 5th wheels with headroom in the bedroom area for someone 6'8" or taller are few and far between.

My current 5'ver works fine on my side of the bed. The other side of the bed is a different story. The only success in the bathroom is a shower with a sky light.

I do know that totally CUSTOM built units like New Horizon will build you a 7ft. bedroom area for -- the last number I was told --- another 30K. If dollar$ were not a problem then -- do it -- but I will just compromise.

Face it. The world is not built for very tall people. There are just somethings you have to compromise or deal with. JMHO

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^ Was going to mention this as I thought more about it later. Could look into a front living room/rear bedroom to gain extra headroom, but would still have to deal w/ a tad tight floor to ceiling height.

Years back, Cedar Creek did publish or had somewhere in their brochure the distance from floor to ceiling in bedroom.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

scidlik
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look forward to everyone's comments. I am looking at mostly front living due to wanting the bathroom and shower in the rear (taller area). I agree that I don't need extra room but if I am spending 60k plus I would like to be able to stand up. I haven't even brought up the fact yet that I have a Harley and want to be able to haul it. I am not wanting the full garage as in most toy haulers. I am very intrigued with the GD Momentum 476TH. I put a call in them today to find out about headroom.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything is a trade off, we have three step to the up deck, and giant basement. Even if I was taller, I would not trade off the storage, full high profile roof line, for a little more head room in the bedroom. I am only standing up in the upper deck for a short time each day.

Chris