cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1210 - replace with AC only compressor

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

I mistakenly made this post on an old thread in the motorhome group where it wasn't getting any traction so here it is again.

Our Norcold 1210 went toes up today. DW smelled ammonia yesterday (I didn't). I suspect that means the cooling unit has failed. I've tried both AC and propane - no cooling; no codes.

Is the JC-Refrigeration really a DIY project? I'm not even sure getting it out of the slide past the island is a DIY project. How long does installation take? One video stated that for 2 novice people it's an all day job. I'm pretty handy. I found the installation manual.

We have a generator and are past our travelling days - we move it from storage to the RV park only. We don't need propane operation.

We're only here on our winter snowbirding trip for another three weeks so we can muddle by with our bar fridge. Next fall something has to be done. Wondering if we can do it before we go.

Any advice?

14 REPLIES 14

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

I did a complete about face because I was worried about the clearance getting the unit out and back in. I've ordered the gas/electric absorption unit which is the same size as the Norcold OEM unit. I just don't think there's enough space to get the unit past the kitchen island. 

I'll let you know how the install goes.

Got the new gas/elec cooling unit installed. It's cooling the fridge for the first time. The Amish unit is about 1/2" deeper than the OEM Norcold. It was a bear getting it past the island. I'm glad I didn't get the compressor unit because we wouldn't have gotten it back into position. 

Hopefully case closed.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I think some people here are overlooking the fact that your refrigerator leaked out ammonia in the freezer. I had that happen and the whole refrigerator had to be replaced.

I would not go with this simple??? DIY project suggested without checking with an expert.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

why did the whole fridge have to be replaced?  a normal adsorbtion fridge the cooling circut is all external, it is stuck on the back of the fridge and the cooling is transfered tyhrough metal heat sink contact..  so unless it is a weird model there is no way for it to leak inside the fridge..  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

DW could SMELL ammonia. We never saw any residue.

A tech came out today and looked at the fridge. He cut the insulation around the boiler. It was yellow with ammonia residue. Never saw any inside the fridge or freezer.

@joebedford wrote:

A tech came out today and looked at the fridge. He cut the insulation around the boiler. It was yellow with ammonia residue. Never saw any inside the fridge or freezer.

You did the right thing. It was all that I recommended. My refrigerator was in a 1992 Award Classic trailer. A Canadian trailer. As far as value of trailer with either type of refrigerator, there are many buyers that would prefer finding each type installed. 

My trailer took a lot of bouncing on bad roads to some campgrounds. Not good for absorption refrigerators. 

@joebedford wrote:

You did the right thing. It was all that I recommended. My refrigerator was in a 1992 Award Classic trailer. A Canadian trailer. As far as value of trailer with either type of refrigerator, there are many buyers that would prefer finding each type installed. 

My trailer took a lot of bouncing on bad roads to some campgrounds. Not good for absorption refrigerators. 

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II

I sent you a pm a while back from another post you did. 

Yes it is truly a diy project. The instructions are very straight forward and easy to understand. The help that JC gives is excellent. You may get frustrated at times with JC customer response times but its well worth the wait if you have to. 

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

you can get amish made replacmet heating units, I imagin they are the same idea as the ones you are looking at.

they look very easy to install and are intended for DIY, you would have to watch a couple videos, which you have done.  

for myself personaly haveing only ac in a rv reduces the vaule as your stuck to camping with hookups so you cut a lot of your market out.  if you never looking to sell it and you only camp with power and don't drive to far from home to get there, or run a genny all the time then your fine

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

"if you never looking to sell it and you only camp with power and don't drive to far from home to get there, or run a genny all the time then your fine" Apparently it will run on a 1000w inverter.

yup, and if your not worried about resale thengo for it, I would get a bigger inverter say a 1500 to be safe.  and make sure your batteries and altanator are yup to snuff to power it while friving and your golden

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

@joebedford wrote:

I mistakenly made this post on an old thread in the motorhome group where it wasn't getting any traction so here it is again.

Our Norcold 1210 went toes up today. DW smelled ammonia yesterday (I didn't). I suspect that means the cooling unit has failed. I've tried both AC and propane - no cooling; no codes.

Is the JC-Refrigeration really a DIY project? I'm not even sure getting it out of the slide past the island is a DIY project. How long does installation take? One video stated that for 2 novice people it's an all day job. I'm pretty handy. I found the installation manual.

We have a generator and are past our travelling days - we move it from storage to the RV park only. We don't need propane operation.

We're only here on our winter snowbirding trip for another three weeks so we can muddle by with our bar fridge. Next fall something has to be done. Wondering if we can do it before we go.

Any advice?

If you are moving to an RV park and have electricity, Getting the refrigerator replaced with a AC only unit would work fine. I would get a hold of a company that exchange out the refrigerators. It' s not DIY job except for the most experience people. Good luck.

About 4 yrs ago I installed the JC refrigeration HVAC unit on my Norcold 1200 series    Works like a residential fridge.   Install is not bad.  Took two of us around 5 hrs.  No regrets.  He has a great conversion kit.   I have a 2000 watt inverter with 4-6volt batteries.  No problems over nighting or boondocking