cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WA - Spokane to Everett US2 or I90?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have a grand adventure coming up next month, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cross the State of Washington. I'll be towing my 20ft Sportsmen Classic.

I have picked Everett as a stop point for the night, before heading into Canada...

I'll be entering Spokane coming out of Sandpoint, Idaho following US-2 and the question is, do I stay on US-2 all the way across Washington, or should I choose I-90. My route planning software is showing LONG stretches of construction on I-90 and the 405. Despite all the construction, the route planner still prefers I-90 to US 2.

I'm guessing I-90 is an "easier" drive, being an interstate they work to straighten the curves and avoid crazy grades, but I-90 will also put me straight into the Seattle metro area, so I'll have to drive through that mess to get to Everett.

Videos I've found of US-2 on youtube are either mind numbing real-time video logs or super fast time lapse, neither really give me a good idea about the actual road conditions.

Anyone care to share their experiences?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
20 REPLIES 20

Ajoule
Explorer
Explorer

Friday the 16th we are driving from Spoane Valley to Everett. My friend driving has made the trip many, many times and we're taking Hwy 2. I90 is boring, dry, safe brush, desert & heavily patrolled by state bulls as they have a hub 60 miles west of town in Ritzville as lots of drugs come from CA through the tri-cities (Pasco, Richland & Kennewick). 

Hwy2, on the other hand,  is breathtakingly beautiful. Leavenworth is must to stop in. It's a little tourist town with 3 brew pubs & lots of gift shops. Wenatchee has 12 mountains. Its gorgeous. I recommend it as I prefer scenic routes & the journey. It's not about how fast I can get there. That's my opinion. Shalom. 

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Everett, I think one of the nicest ways of seeing the Sound is to take the Mukleteo-Clinton ferry to Whidbey Island, drive the length of that to Deception Pass. Then return via La Conner and Stanwood. Or alternatively, take the Coupeville-PortTownsend ferry and return via the Kingston-Edmonds ferry. With just the truck the ferry prices are reasonable. There are number of state parks in this area that are former shore gun forts, and have good views of the water. Also nice towns for browsing like Coupeville and La Conner.

The cruise that I've taken out of Seattle is the Tillacum Village one, and that was during a conference before moving to the area.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Are you camping? Everett isn't that great of option for an over night stop.

If you are heading for the border, you might want to skip the whole Seattle/Everett area. For example you could cross the Cascades on WA20, crossing from US2 via Grand Coulee Dam. Or you could cross into Canada on US97, and take BC3 across the Cascades to Hope. Or continue north on BC97 is northern BC is your destination.

I'm not camping in Everett, I have a hotel for the night near the sound. I'll be spending a few weeks after camping my way to Anchorage. I hope to take a peek at the sound and maybe take a cruise near downtown (after unhooking my trailer at the hotel.)

A few destinations I'd like to hit are the sea to sky highway North of Vancouver, as well as take a peek at Vancouver itself. Otherwise I'd probably cut over to Canada outside Glacier.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The slow Sunday afternoon traffic on US2 is mainly in the set of small towns once the highway emerges from the mountains (Gold Bar, Sultan, Startup, Monroe - order may be wrong). I don't there is a stop light until Monroe, but the mix of local traffic and highway traffic can create slow downs, and more than normal number of accidents. Monroe has several stop lights, and lots of mall traffic. Once past that US2 is divided and flows well (usually) to the junction with I5. On a Sunday afternoon, traffic north bound on I5 from there should be smooth, though it doesn't thin out under the Arlington exit.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live half way between Seattle and Everett. Last time I drove to Spokane (to pick up a puppy), I took I90 over the Cascades (Saturday morning), cross over to US2 at George/Dry Falls and camped at Fort Spokane. The return was via I90 to George, then switched to US2 via Quincy. It was a Sunday afternoon/evening but in April so I didn't hit much weekend traffic (ski or camping).

I like the scenery on US2 over the Cascades better. Once I'm on the eastern flats it doesn't matter which. But if I were in a rush, I'd stick with I90, unless traffic considerations strongly argue the other way.

Are you camping? Everett isn't that great of option for an over night stop.

If you are heading for the border, you might want to skip the whole Seattle/Everett area. For example you could cross the Cascades on WA20, crossing from US2 via Grand Coulee Dam. Or you could cross into Canada on US97, and take BC3 across the Cascades to Hope. Or continue north on BC97 is northern BC is your destination.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Everett. I am going to take a trip to north Idaho next month. I plan to take 90 and time my drive to miss the heavy traffic on 405. This is much easier and a bit faster than 2 since 2 has all the stoplights.

If you cannot time your drive to miss the heavy 405 and 5 traffic take 2.

I did this trip last year and took 2 out. It took for ever to get through all the small towns due to lights and construction. I took 90 back and even though I hit some of the heavy traffic it was the same time.

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing you may consider is, unless being in Everett on Sunday is critical to your plans, spend the night in one of the delightful campgrounds between Wenatchee and Snohomish. It is some of the most beautiful country in the state.

You can then go through Everett area after the morning rush.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
When does the parking lot usually clear up? The 3pm in my previous post is when my trip planner estimates I'll hit Goldbar, not Everett, so I'll be driving right into the thick of it. If I cool my heals for a bit and leave Sandpoint late, or make several stops along the way, I could try and time my arrival to Everett around 7-8pm instead?

That's what I'd do...why rush? It's one of the most beautiful drives in Washington. Enjoy the fantastic flood-scoured geology of the scablands between Spokane and Coulee City (where you can marvel at the Grand Coulee, now filled with water thanks to the great dam named after it)...get out and walk around Waterville, a tiny little place totally reminiscent of 1950's America...have a picnic along the Columbia River...stop at the Aplets and Cotlets factory in Cashmere...

There's so much to do/see along there that if you play your cards right, you won't get to Everett until long after the traffic has eased.:B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Great local knowledge, thanks for the tips on Sunday everyone. When does the parking lot usually clear up? The 3pm in my previous post is when my trip planner estimates I'll hit Goldbar, not Everett, so I'll be driving right into the thick of it. If I cool my heals for a bit and leave Sandpoint late, or make several stops along the way, I could try and time my arrival to Everett around 7-8pm instead?

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Recent round trip on I90 included an additional 2 hours of stop and go each way, Eastbound early Friday afternoon and return Sunday in the peak of madhouse.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Are there large churches on this stretch of US-2 that cause the backup?

NO, just a lot of people praying Hwy 2 doesn't get any more lights.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Just take it easy on the down-grade heading west from Waterville down to Orondo. Nice state park to spend the night on the Columbia near Orondo as you head towards East Wenatchee. Another good stop is the Mile 51 Cafe as you're heading west near the turnoff to Lake Wenatchee, 50's style diner with excellent hamburgers, milkshakes, and old fashioned jukebox.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
jamesu wrote:

Do not attempt US-2 over the Cascades on a Sunday afternoon. This two lane highway can be a parking lot all the way from Gold Bar to Monroe at that time. Any other time it's okay.

Uh oh ... as it turns out, it is a Sunday that I'm coming into Everett on. The route planner estimates I'll be in that area around 3 pm.

Are there large churches on this stretch of US-2 that cause the backup? (I have seen this in "The South")
Nope, not churches. People coming back from their weekends.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8