cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA 139 from Susanville CA to Klamath Falls Or

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't been this way before and was wondering if it is a decent route for a 36' motor home with toad. Anybody have any experience with this road?

thanks

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....
11 REPLIES 11

BetsyC
Explorer II
Explorer II

Been on that road to Sisters.  A good way to go.  40 ' fifth wheel.

tamra
Explorer
Explorer

If you're coming from Reno Nevada headed towards susanville right past the rest area there's a cut off to go to alturas A3 is what it is and it's even sure that way and then from there you make it right at the stop sign go up to the outers to climate and the road is very boring because it's so straight even though you're climbing mountains you're not really climbing mountains I mean it's straight hardly any traffic hardly any cops and and it's a good good road especially in the winter time yeah that's why you definitely want to travel the other ones are more windier and more fountain roads so if you come for me no that's the civil rest area right down the right I receiving email might have to Miles maybe and there's a little short cut off A3 hey there's a sign that says I'll tourist take the right follow that the road take the right of the stuff so there's a little market there on the corner and you go to Raven rest area ravendale likely and a few little towns good route very good bro I take it every time I go to Oregon and back and matter fact I just made that trip this week

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Not a bad road it is narrow and somewhat winding at times but very do-able. We did this in our class C 31ft pulling our toad.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this recently with my trailer -- not a big deal, but not a straight shot, either. Empty country, which is just what I like.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option would be US395 to Lakeview, OR31 to LaPine, OR58 across the Cascades to Eugene, and on to the coast. 31 is billed as the Outback scenic route, but does not climb any mountains.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
thank you all.... I really appreciate it. Doesn't sound like a road that I would like to take in the motor home. I guess I'll just go over to I5 from Susanville and then north as we wind up in Newport on the central Oregon coast. Didn't really need to go through Klamath Falls, just that I've never been that way and was thinking about doing it.

again, thanks.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
A friend & I argued about this route as he had always taken the 395 to Alturas instead of the 139, which looks like the more direct road. Measure it and it is 18 miles shorter.
We did eventually get to take the 139 a few years later but in our car. I think it takes longer, even though it is shorter. It is a very twisty road, would be great in a Lotus!, and the drop down into Susanville is quite something, Wow!
We have taken the 395 route a few times coming back from Reno. We turn off the 395 about 14 miles before Alturas, here. We then connect back up with the 139, a few miles west of Alturas here
This is a much faster route, but the other way is a bit more scenic especially around Eagle Lake, as when we went through there it was a beautiful green colour similar to what you see in the Canadian Rockies!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The ones who complain and say it is not a good road are the flatlanders, not used to secondary mountain roads. We have done it with our rig and toad, without any problems, and as korbe said, the traffic is nil. I have also driven a cattle hauler on the road and the grade, with absolutely NO problems.....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In another thread someone disliked the grade on CA139 immediately north of Susanville.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The road surface is fine. However, the road is narrower than most 2-lane state highways in California. I would be riding both the fog line and centerline from Susanville to Adin (hwy 299). The plus side is there is not much traffic. That is the route I would take but some folks prefer 395 north to 139 near Alturas.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a search on this board for 'susanville'