cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laredo owners with dual AC units read this

wayfun
Explorer
Explorer
I recently picked up my new 2015 Laredo 322RL travel trailer which I had ordered with the second bedroom AC unit. I ordered that option based on Keystone's marketing materials that described the "race track" ducted AC system. See http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...ster_apr14.pdf
I wanted that system so that on moderately warm days I could run the bedroom AC to cool the trailer in order to keep the AC noise away from the living area while watching TV or conversing.

When I got home and tried the system I found that the bedroom AC was not tied into the duct work. It only blew out of the vents in the grill. It would freeze the bedroom and only cycle on for about 30 seconds at a time because it got cold so fast. I asked a service guy at the dealer and he said he didn't think any of them were ducted. The next day I called Keystone customer service to ask them. The rep there checked with the Laredo team and told me that none were ducted. Didn't care for that answer either. After thinking about it a couple of weeks I sent Keystone a certified letter requesting a refund of my option cost since I couldn't use it as advertised. I knew that was a futile attempt but it made me feel better. I promptly received a call from Keystone and there only suggestion was to take it back to the dealer and let them look at it to see what I had. Geez, I gave them my VIN number and I would have expected for them to be able to tell me what I had. I insisted that I would not take it back to the dealer unless they could assure me the ductwork was there to attach to. I saw no reason to take it to the dealer and leave it for who knows how long only to find out nothing could be done. I'm still waiting on that answer.

So today I decided to take the grills off and look at it myself. What I found was that each side of the AC air box was covered with foil sheets with nothing rigid behind it. So I cut a small hole in the foil to look behind it and found a 1 1/2 X 6 inch foam duct that was in line with the ceiling vents. I cut a small hole in the foam duct and felt air blowing out from the living area AC. Bingo, I found the "racetrack." The duct and the AC unit were separated by a 2 by 2 at the top and bottom. I then decided to go for broke and cut a 1 1/2 x 6 inch opening in the foam duct on each side. On the left the foam was a little further away from the wood so I fabricated a metal duct from some ductwork I picked up a Lowes. I then put it in place and sealed it up with aluminum tape. On the right side the duct was tight against the wood so I was able to just cut the opening and left one long side hinged. I then taped everything with tape to seal it up. This modification was much less effort that hooking the trailer to my truck and going to the dealer. Hope the photos help illustrate this.

Now I get air flow throughout the trailer from either AC unit. And with both units on together the air flow is incredible. There will be no problem cooling the trailer on the hottest days.

I am very disappointed in Keystone. One for not installing the AC properly at the factory to start with. And then secondly for the poor support and communication from Keystone customer service.

Dennis

13 REPLIES 13

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
jamnw wrote:
Sir
Have you looked at the PDF marketing flyer? It shows the "racetrack" design for the AC units in a FW or TT version.

I feel the manufacturer owes the OP an apology at the very least, but mostly a refund for not installing the unit properly.

Great job figuring out the issue.

Do you have a problem with my post? I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Preceding your post with "Sir" and then ending it with the paragraph you did fools no one.

NO, I did not have the PDF marketing flyer in front of my when I made my comment, but that is a moot point. I was NOT criticising the OP for his stance and I said that all in a paragraph all by itself just so that people like you would not miss the point. But clearly you failed.

Incidentally, now that the OP has posted the flyer on pg 2 I can see how he'd think that the AC units are supposed to be interconnected, and I concur with him. That means that the dealer is ignorant of the design. That said it does not detract from the actual situation in the OP's trailer - the ACs were not interconnected and the OP had to fix it himself.

I DO agree with you that the manufacturer does owe the OP not only an apology but maybe some compensation.

I do encourage you to actually read and consider what someone might be actually saying before making your knee-jerk reply. It makes for a much nicer and progressive discussion thread.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the cropped sectionโ€ฆ based on that graphic alone it would appear you are correct and they are interconnectedโ€ฆ
I think that is interesting and will have to look into it more but that to me still seems they would be butting heads and interfere with the air flow of both unless there are 2 different ducts. Like the graphic also seems to showโ€ฆ

Keep us posted if you find more infoโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

wayfun
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try posting the link again. It still works. Not sure why the one above fails.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/894566/laredo20x30tableposter_apr14.pdf

I will also add a cropped area of the pdf showing the AC feature. Notice feature "I"

I want to clarify that based on Keystone's material I had every expectation that the optional AC would be tied to the ducting. I had several other people look at the materials and they agreed with my interpretation.

I was reluctant to take it back to the dealer because a Keystone customer service rep had told me that the bedroom AC units were never ducted. So why would I want to go to all of the trouble of dragging the trailer back to the dealer and leaving it with them to be told the same thing. I wanted clarification from Keystone that the "rough-in" for the duct work was there. I still don't have the answer from them even though two people promised a return call with the answer.

Since I found that the ductwork ran all the way through the trailer and adjacent to the second AC and that the marketing materials clearly show that it should be ducted I think we can conclude that the duct system was designed to handle both units.

My purpose in posting the original post was to hopefully inform other Laredo owners of my findings.

Dennis

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
When I tried the link I got an error message stating that the file is no longer found. Wondering if the manufacturer removed it or if there is a problem with the link itself???
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
maybe someone can post a workable linkโ€ฆ the information provided by the OP didnโ€™t work for me or it would have been the first place I lookedโ€ฆ

the PDF I did look at didnโ€™t show or describe a 2nd AC with ducted airโ€ฆ

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
wayfun wrote:
I recently picked up my new 2015 Laredo 322RL travel trailer which I had ordered with the second bedroom AC unit. .... I found that the bedroom AC was not tied into the duct work. It only blew out of the vents in the grill. ... a service guy at the dealer and he said he didn't think any of them were ducted. ... Keystone customer service .... rep ... told me that none were ducted. Didn't care for that answer either. After thinking about it a couple of weeks I sent Keystone a certified letter requesting a refund of my option cost since I couldn't use it as advertised. I knew that was a futile attempt but it made me feel better. I promptly received a call from Keystone and there only suggestion was to take it back to the dealer and let them look at it to see what I had. Geez, I gave them my VIN number and I would have expected for them to be able to tell me what I had. I insisted that I would not take it back to the dealer unless they could assure me the ductwork was there to attach to. I saw no reason to take it to the dealer and leave it for who knows how long only to find out nothing could be done. I'm still waiting on that answer.

So today I decided to take the grills off and look at it myself. ... Now I get air flow throughout the trailer from either AC unit. And with both units on together the air flow is incredible. There will be no problem cooling the trailer on the hottest days.

Dennis,

From what I have been able to learn about TTs that offer the second AC unit as an option, it appears that none come with the bedroom unit ducted. Sad to say that, had you known this before ordering the TT with the optional AC unit you might not have gone down that road, and that may be a fair assumption by the seller and the manufacturer.

So it is not unreasonable that Keystone would approach your request for a refund with caution. Besides, if they were to give you a refund on an option you asked for in the first place, they would have to verify that the AC unit was in good condition and could be reused etc, especially since they would have to pay to take it out. I don't expect that they would have given any refund check and let you keep the unit, so in the end they'd be losing money in this matter, which as mentioned before, you may have known about beforehand.

This is NOT a criticism of your actions - just trying to show how their actions might be seen from their viewpoint.

As for asking you to bring that back to the dealer - that is standard practice. They have to have "independent" (?) verification that you did not mess with your trailer and cause any problems yourself. Many people claim this or that and when you do investigate you find that they screw up their units and then claim "warranty" or something else. They ahev to be sure, that is all.

As for the dealer's reluctance - again this is seen as a non-issue since it is operating AS DESIGNED (regardless of whether we like it or not) AND since warranty work is a PITA for dealers since they need to get paid for the manhours spent and sometimes this does not happen fast enough for their liking from the manufacturer.

As for your modification - excellent work! I love to see that you modded your system to provide air through the ductwork. I can only imagine what the combined system must be like, having just spent some time camping in 95+ degree weather where my 15K unit kept up just acceptably in an unshaded camping lot.

If I could only get the fridge to be cold on those days as well I'd be happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sir
Have you looked at the PDF marketing flyer? It shows the "racetrack" design for the AC units in a FW or TT version.

I feel the manufacturer owes the OP an apology at the very least, but mostly a refund for not installing the unit properly.

Great job figuring out the issue.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like you come up with your own answerโ€ฆ
Good luck and I hope it works well for you, but I suspect the duct system is inadequate for 2 ACโ€™s to allow for proper air flow when both are runningโ€ฆ I also suspect that is the reason it is not done from the factory that wayโ€ฆ running either one at a time may work is the duct isnโ€™t steeped down in sizeโ€ฆ

As far as Keystone marketing, all I have ever seen about the 2nd AC is something like thisโ€ฆ โ€œ
Wire and frame for 2nd A/Cโ€โ€ฆ

Cooling down quickly isnโ€™t necessarily the objective for the AC and can be a disadvantage of an oversized ACโ€ฆ removing the humidity is the prime objective because cold damp air isnโ€™t so great or what you wantโ€ฆ

wayfun
Explorer
Explorer
I spent some time in the trailer yesterday. When I first went in I turned on both AC units and it cooled the trailer down to a comfortable level very quickly. After that I switched the living area AC off and ran just the bedroom unit. It kept the trailer very comfortable all afternoon and the temperature outside was in the upper 80's.

Dennis

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
I like the mod. I'll have to check my system and see how it's plumbed. I have a 2015 KZ spree 329 with the second AC. My second AC is factory plumbed into the rest of the ductwork for the camper. I'm not sure the system will work as you invision, though I hope it will. About 75% of the air from the front unit empties into the front bed room, even with the louvers on the bottom closed. The remaining 25% won't keep the rest of the trailer cool on a moderately warm day. I've found a small fan, sitting in the floor, blowing air out of the front bed room helps, but it still keeps the front area too cool in comparison. Though, by using this method, both units will keep the camper 72* even on a 100* day in full sun. Good luck.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
wayfun wrote:
I recently picked up my new 2015 Laredo 322RL travel trailer which I had ordered with the second bedroom AC unit. .... I found that the bedroom AC was not tied into the duct work. It only blew out of the vents in the grill. ... a service guy at the dealer and he said he didn't think any of them were ducted. ... Keystone customer service .... rep ... told me that none were ducted. Didn't care for that answer either. After thinking about it a couple of weeks I sent Keystone a certified letter requesting a refund of my option cost since I couldn't use it as advertised. I knew that was a futile attempt but it made me feel better. I promptly received a call from Keystone and there only suggestion was to take it back to the dealer and let them look at it to see what I had. Geez, I gave them my VIN number and I would have expected for them to be able to tell me what I had. I insisted that I would not take it back to the dealer unless they could assure me the ductwork was there to attach to. I saw no reason to take it to the dealer and leave it for who knows how long only to find out nothing could be done. I'm still waiting on that answer.

So today I decided to take the grills off and look at it myself. ... Now I get air flow throughout the trailer from either AC unit. And with both units on together the air flow is incredible. There will be no problem cooling the trailer on the hottest days.

Dennis,

From what I have been able to learn about TTs that offer the second AC unit as an option, it appears that none come with the bedroom unit ducted. Sad to say that, had you known this before ordering the TT with the optional AC unit you might not have gone down that road, and that may be a fair assumption by the seller and the manufacturer.

So it is not unreasonable that Keystone would approach your request for a refund with caution. Besides, if they were to give you a refund on an option you asked for in the first place, they would have to verify that the AC unit was in good condition and could be reused etc, especially since they would have to pay to take it out. I don't expect that they would have given any refund check and let you keep the unit, so in the end they'd be losing money in this matter, which as mentioned before, you may have known about beforehand.

This is NOT a criticism of your actions - just trying to show how their actions might be seen from their viewpoint.

As for asking you to bring that back to the dealer - that is standard practice. They have to have "independent" (?) verification that you did not mess with your trailer and cause any problems yourself. Many people claim this or that and when you do investigate you find that they screw up their units and then claim "warranty" or something else. They ahev to be sure, that is all.

As for the dealer's reluctance - again this is seen as a non-issue since it is operating AS DESIGNED (regardless of whether we like it or not) AND since warranty work is a PITA for dealers since they need to get paid for the manhours spent and sometimes this does not happen fast enough for their liking from the manufacturer.

As for your modification - excellent work! I love to see that you modded your system to provide air through the ductwork. I can only imagine what the combined system must be like, having just spent some time camping in 95+ degree weather where my 15K unit kept up just acceptably in an unshaded camping lot.

If I could only get the fridge to be cold on those days as well I'd be happy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
You would think that the VIN# should tell them all they needed to know, wouldn't you? Glad you got it remedied.

I found a quirky thing on our Rockwood 2604. We have 1 unit, a 15K ducted. The ceiling unit is located in a good place....except that if you open the side vents, one of them blows the cold air directly onto the thermostat. DUH! Closed that one off and things evened out nicely.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
I would hope someone from Keystone Customer Service could have provided more assistance. Considering that you custom orders the TT with that option one would assume that the factory would have done that as requested on the build sheet. I am glad you figured it out, but sorry that the factory and it's reps were of no assistance.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Glad you figured that out.

In the last image, I see a possible problem, I found with mine. The partition between the in going air and the out going air. I found the partition did not extend down all the way down and out going air was passing underneath the partition and had actually raised up the foam filter.

I removed the plate at the bottom, straightened the bottom plate to allow strips of cardboard to fill the space. Taped it all up. Done!

Hopefully, yours does not actually do this, check it out.

Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315